The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Gear Oil Changeout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw in another thread that a handful of people were recommending a switch to 75w-140 in the rear end. I'm curious if many are still supporting this idea for moderate track use or if it's best to stick with the factory 75w-85?

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Since no one else replied yet, I'll throw out my 2 cents.

I'm not a gt350 expert but I think it has a torsen type rear diff. If so and you go thicker, it makes the diff slightly tighter, meaning slightly more torque to inside tire, slightly more like a spool. But this is not a big change. It can also make the rear end run slightly hotter, but again not by much.

FWIW I run 85w140 non syn gear oil in my Eaton trutrac (torsen style diff).

But, if I were you, I'd just run what Ford says to run. There isn't really much if anything to gain.

TMO Supporting Vendors