The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 - low ECT, poor power, misfire codes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, at the last track event (barber, Chin, April 7,8) some bad things happened.

1. ECT was low. Even on the track ECT was below normal operating temp for portions of many laps. Off the the track check engine light and low temperature codes appears. Ford replaced the thermostat - this is the third replacement. They say it was jammed up in the wide open position. So far they have no theory as to why this keeps happening.
  2. During portions of many laps (sometimes coinciding with low temp) the car felt like it went into a kind of limp mode. Later in each lap it would be back to normal.
  3. Car threw a number of P0xxx codes (general and several specific misfire codes)
Dealer has changed coil packs, performed neutral profile relearn, removed intake, etc) and everything looks good. During test drives the car starts missing at over about 4,500 RPM.

Right now they are mystified. Y'all have any ideas of what can be going on here???

Thanks.

So, at the last track event (barber, Chin, April 7,8) some bad things happened.

1. ECT was low. Even on the track ECT was below normal operating temp for portions of many laps. Off the the track check engine light and low temperature codes appears. Ford replaced the thermostat - this is the third replacement. They say it was jammed up in the wide open position. So far they have no theory as to why this keeps happening.
  2. During portions of many laps (sometimes coinciding with low temp) the car felt like it went into a kind of limp mode. Later in each lap it would be back to normal.
  3. Car threw a number of P0xxx codes (general and several specific misfire codes)
Dealer has changed coil packs, performed neutral profile relearn, removed intake, etc) and everything looks good. During test drives the car starts missing at over about 4,500 RPM.

Right now they are mystified. Y'all have any ideas of what can be going on here???

Thanks.

I just replaced my Crankshaft positioning sensor after trying several things that checked out. Have they replaced the CPS?

No more misfire codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update. Word from ford is that some heads have some residual sand from the casting that gets into the thermostats and cause them to stick open. Odd, but that is as good an explanation as I've heard.

They still cannot diagnose the misfires. @spartan they have NOT changed the crank sensor. They want to do only what ford tells them to do. Did your dealer change your sensor? Is there someone at your dealership that my shop foreman or the ford field engineer could talk too?

Thanks.

Quick update. Word from ford is that some heads have some residual sand from the casting that gets into the thermostats and cause them to stick open. Odd, but that is as good an explanation as I've heard.

They still cannot diagnose the misfires. @spartan they have NOT changed the crank sensor. They want to do only what ford tells them to do. Did your dealer change your sensor? Is there someone at your dealership that my shop foreman or the ford field engineer could talk too?

Thanks.

I did all the work myself with help from a forum member. I’m sure they will figure it out. They have all the computers to diagnose the problem.

Latest update...… They recently changed the crank position sensor and the "tone ring" and the cats. They did the neutral profile relearn. Misfires continue. Shop foreman says the scan tool sees misfires begin at the mid RPM range and after a certain number (100 maybe) the computer pulls fuel from the "misfiring" cylinders and power drops off. He feels no misfires. So the computer thinks there are misfires, but there are not. Sounds a lot like the neutral profile relearn, but they DID do that.
Any insight from y'all would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.

Another update.
They now replaced the clutch and flywheel and, of course, did another neutral profile relearn. Drove the car today with the shop foreman monitoring his equipment.
Driving normally, no problem.
Hard acceleration, no problem.
Foot off throttle, car decelerates, no problem.
Add back a little throttle -- a bunch of misfires detected then computer shuts off fuel to misfiring cylinders.
Drive normally a while, car is back to normal.
WHAT THE BLOODY HELL!!!!
At least this pattern is repeatable -- somewhat. Sometimes only one cylinder "misfires". Then the next time several "misfire" and the one before looks good.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

To summarize:
Neutral profile relearn done many times (up to 6,000 RPM at suggestion of field engineer)
New crank position sensor.
New Cats
New tone ring
New clutch
New flywheel
New spark coils
New plugs
Intake has been removed to check runner controls (OK)

Still having problems?

What are the codes you’re getting?
Have they done a compression test?
Have they done an injector balance test?
Have they checked the injector spray pattern?
Have they checked the fuel pressure?
Any modifications done to the car?
What fuel are you using?

They are getting several misfire codes. Cannot feel any misfires, so I don't think it is actually misfiring. They have done some injector tests but I'm not sure which ones. Always use 93 octane. Very few modifications -- autoblip, caliper studs, pads, wheels, tires, opened up grill at the intake location. Nothing that should affect false misfire detection. Only electrical modification is autoblip.

All this new technology with code alerts and alarms scares me. Why does a car have to relearn something when there's nothing wrong?..Old dogs and new tricks...you know the rest...progress is progress...........I guess.......

TMO Supporting Vendors