The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Lowering Springs And Sway Bars from Ford Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Just a guess here but. Since many sensors “rezero” when powered up. Is it safe to say the ride height sensors do the same. Load, Fuel and passengers change. Makes sense to have a adaptive system which senses the change. Why not then the change from a spring change?.

In the V6L
Regarding the height sensor calibration, here's the wording from the Ford service manual:

When one of the following components is installed new, disassembled, disconnected or removed the VDM must be calibrated.

• VDM
  • Suspension height sensor
  • Front lower control arm
  • Front strut assembly
  • Rear lower control arm
  • Rear shock
The calibration routine is required for the system to learn the zero-position of the vehicle which means the vehicle must be on a level surface, must not be moving and cannot contain any passengers or cargo. The calibration routine is carried out using a diagnostic scan tool. The calibration routine should not be performed with the vehicle raised off the ground or immediately after lowering the vehicle as the suspension will not be in a neutral position.

The wording in the DSC Sport suspension module manual is equally clear:

ZERO TRAVEL (critical for velocity table to be fully functional)

Zero Travel is used on all cars with ride height sensors or travel sensors. This is primarily used in all V2 DSC controllers. It is imperative for peak performance of the velocity table to Zero Travel. Follow the prompt.
Note: car must be on level surface or setup table with driver tires set to operating pressure

In the V6L
Just a guess here but. Since many sensors “rezero” when powered up. Is it safe to say the ride height sensors do the same. Load, Fuel and passengers change. Makes sense to have a adaptive system which senses the change. Why not then the change from a spring change?.

The ride height sensors don't re-zero themselves automatically. If you were to park on uneven pavement, the suspension sensors would take that uneven surface as "flat" when you start the car, and the system wouldn't be properly calibrated when it was back on level ground.

Regardless of what the manuals state, and I'm not saying you shouldn't reset the sensors, the Ford Performance engineer responsible for the springs told me it's not necessary so I'm not worrying about it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel