The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Mods - Let The Fun Begin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With my Boss sold I need something to pass the time until my GT350 arrives so I created a list of items I'll be buying and installing as soon as my car arrives.

Basic Stuff:
Window Tinting
Clear Bra
MRT Hood Struts (I hate the prop rod)
Ford Performance Oil Separator
BMR Jacking Rails. I really liked the functionality of the ones I installed on my Boss
JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers. This will be a must if the stock speakers are as bad as the ones in the Boss

Track Stuff:
Watson Racing Roll Bar
Watson Racing Rear Seat Delete
Schroth Profi II Six Point Harnesses in Red
06Mach1's sub belt mount with lap belt clips (I hope) @06mach1
Blowfish Racing front tow hook - when available @pufferfish
Blowfish Racing fire extinguisher mount - when available
Auto-BLiP - one of my all-time favorite products @AUTO-BLiP
MGW Shifter - George makes the best! @MGW
CorteX camber plates @CorteX Racing
GT350R front springs or equivalent R springs part # FR3V-5310-RB
N4S Motorsports R Spec 19x11 and 19x11.5 FlowForm Wheels
Michelin PSC2 R spec tires, 305/30/19 and 315/30/19
Pagid RS29 and RS56 brake pads @PeteInCT
TI brake shields for the brakes from @knsbrakes
I'd also like to add the R rear wing and front splitter but we'll see what sort of crazy prices they want for them. ::)

What are the other future GT350 owners going to do?

@fuhrius
@cloud9
@Black Boss
@Bossing302
@TripleYellow
@ChopSui
@ITLRUN
@jas427
@bullittman
@Moto
@jlwdvm
@BlazeYellow
@tigerbillsbikes
@Papa Smurf

I'll bite.
Basic Stuff:
SRP racing pedals. my favorite mod to date in my boss.
Hood struts (probably MRT again)
Oil Separator
Jacking rails

I'll be buying a big bluetooth speaker / boombox thing for when I need tunes.
I intend to come up with some sort of a mount for an iPad that will sit where the blank 'R' plate is in the middle stack and use it as my head unit / Nav / and connect one of the ODBII bluetooth connectors and start using the iPad for some monitoring functions.

Don't know about modding the shifter yet...we'll see. Have the MGW in the boss and like it very much.

Track Stuff:
Rollbar fabbed by TC Designs (Tony's a legend in these parts and just moved his shop to within a few miles of where I live)
Profi II harnesses - same
Seats - may go with Cobra Suzukas I had in my last track car. excellent seats and added benefit that they say 'Cobra' on them ;-)
Some sort of tow hook set up and FE
After that, we'll have to see what needs tending to for track use.
I suspect pads / fluid / etc for brakes.

Austin
First things will be tint and clear bra.

I'll wait to see if I really need to upgrade the pads.

Possible:
'R' front springs - I'll wait for one of you guys to try them and report back about the effects on the MR calibration. :)
Auto-Blip - I read the great thread here on BMO about this and I definitely want it once it's proven on the S550.
Jacking rails sounds like a good idea.
Wheels - Haven't decided on sizes yet, but when I do, I'll be visiting Finspeed since they are moving operations to here in Austin. Probably go for the F110 like these:
-img_0068_3232d39f4b1bd3cf6a5e521c54ceb929ec021b32.jpg

I've seen those Finspeed F110's on a Z/28 and they look sharp. If I go custom I'm going with Finspeed. He makes a five spoke wheel and I wonder if he's done a seven spoke before. He has styles not listed on his website.

The idea of the R springs is two fold. To lower the car 1/2" and stiffen up the front for the track. I was told that putting the R springs on the track pack car would not be "a train wreck" so it's possible. A better solution might be finding a spring the same height but with a spring rate in between the track pack and R. BTW the R is 1" lower in the front. Half of that is the spring and the other half is the tires which are 1" shorter so 1/2" lower.

Austin
VooDooBOSS said:
I've seen those Finspeed F110's on a Z/28 and they look sharp. If I go custom I'm going with Finspeed. He makes a five spoke wheel and I wonder if he's done a seven spoke before. He has styles not listed on his website.

The idea of the R springs is two fold. To lower the car 1/2" and stiffen up the front for the track. I was told that putting the R springs on the track pack car would not be "a train wreck" so it's possible. A better solution might be finding a spring the same height but with a spring rate in between the track pack and R. BTW the R is 1" lower in the front. Half of that is the spring and the other half is the tires which are 1" shorter so 1/2" lower.

Yeah my thought for the wheels would be to get the same size wheels and tires as the R. I imagine it would look pretty bad with the extra gap in the front if I didn't get shorter springs.

Forgot to mention that as far as the motor is concerned, I'd be interested in a tune and maybe some long-tube headers and high-flow cats if anyone decides to make some. Not sure what the aftermarket will be like with the low production numbers.

ChopSui said:
Forgot to mention that as far as the motor is concerned, I'd be interested in a tune and maybe some long-tube headers and high-flow cats if anyone decides to make some. Not sure what the aftermarket will be like with the low production numbers.
You're going to wanna wait for a while to see what's up with the cars before making ANY modifications to the drive train. Let's see what caused the shipping delay.

VooDooBOSS said:
You're going to wanna wait for a while to see what's up with the cars before making ANY modifications to the drive train. Let's see what caused the shipping delay.
+1 I'm not touching the drivetrain on this one. Think about it. Ford spent countless engineering hours looking for as little as a half pound to take out of the car. They didn't use a 45-50 lb two piece driveshaft for example to save a few hundred bucks on using the CF shaft like the GT500. My guess is the entire drivetrain is a "system" engineered to mitigate the associated vibrations.

My list:

CC plates
Front springs (not sure I'll be the guinea on this one with winter coming)
Wheels (lightweight aluminum TBD)
Roll Bar
Race Seat
6 point harnesses
Window tint
Clear bra on front of fenders and leading edge of hood

That's it.

VooDooBOSS said:
Famous last words.

What about the Ti brake pad shields? Is there consensus that they work? Or do they just help save the seals?
Yes will need those as well because they lengthen the life of the seals. My guess is these new calipers are going to be more expensive (double?). Hopefully KNS can give us some options for Ti shields, discounted OEM rotos and more aggressive pads (if needed)

cloud9 said:
Yes will need those as well because they lengthen the life of the seals. My guess is these new calipers are going to be more expensive (double?). Hopefully KNS can give us some options for Ti shields, discounted OEM rotos and more aggressive pads (if needed)
+1
VooDooBOSS said:
+2

Roll bar from Watson.
Momo race seat
Sparco Aluminum side mounts.
Corbeau seat mount
Schroth 6 point Harness
MM Camber Plates
Wheels TBD

When available:
14mm ARP studs
Jacking Plates
Tow Hook(s)
Fire Extinguisher mount.

Black Boss said:
+1+2

Roll bar from Watson.
Momo race seat
Sparco Aluminum side mounts.
Corbeau seat mount
Schroth 6 point Harness
MM Camber Plates
Wheels TBD

When available:
14mm ARP studs
Jacking Plates
Tow Hook(s)
Fire Extinguisher mount.
Yes those too Nick :-[
Mike's jacking plates
14mm ARP studs
Tow Hooks
Adj fire extinguisher mount from my Boss (hopefully)

cloud9 said:
Adj fire extinguisher mount from my Boss (hopefully)
Maybe. The front seat mounts are completely different on the two cars but hopefully it works. The S550 mounts are flat vs mounting on the vertical piece on the S197's.

Mike rented an S550 to take measurements for the sub bar and jacking plates. I also think Steve at BFR has or is doing the same thing for the tow hooks and fire ext mounts. Hopefully all of this is sorted out before mine gets here.

VooDooBOSS said:
Maybe. The front seat mounts are completely different on the two cars but hopefully it works. The S550 mounts are flat vs mounting on the vertical piece on the S197's.

Mike rented an S550 to take measurements for the sub bar and jacking plates. I also think Steve at BFR has or is doing the same thing for the tow hooks and fire ext mounts. Hopefully all of this is sorted out before mine gets here.
My Brey Krause mount should work just fine on a flat mount.

VooDooBOSS said:

Yes the S550 mounts are vertical on 11.5" centers versus horizontal on 15.75" centers on the S197.

Hopefully @pufferfish will make a mount compatible with his existing bottle bracket so it can be moved between cars......

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel