GT350 OEM ECU Software Update - Piston Slap Reduction

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by JAJ, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Fastfordnut

Fastfordnut TMO Race

The service guy at the counter looked at me funny but once I got to the service manager, he knew exactly what I was after.
    It's almost like you have to know the secret wink & nod to get past the guy at the door.:cool:
    Curious to see if you have similar results. Standing by......

2. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

So, I've been running this update for three months now, and aside from the improved piston slap, the biggest change is the way low-end torque works. It's just so much more civilized. I didn't used to feel comfortable in 6th below about 65MPH, and now it's fine all the way down into the 50's. You're not going to win any races at 1600RPM, but when you're in a 50MPH zone, locked on cruise control, on the highway where the WA State Patrol trains cadets to use radar, it's fine. It doesn't feel like it's on the brink of stumbling, which it used to.

I also found a backup copy of the screen shot that has the revised software part number:

GT350 ECU Update Screen Shot - 2019 03 21.png

VoodooBoss likes this.
  3. captdistraction

captdistraction I am the breaker of things

I need to get this done while my car's down. Its pretty dysmal under 3k.

Does yours surge at all when cold? Mine doesn't seem to burn measurable oil whatsoever, but when its not fully warmed up, there's a bit of light throttle surge.

4. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

No surging, cold or otherwise, now or in the past before the update.

5. 50Deep

50Deep Jockin' GT350's

Just had this done recently. The predicate issue for this to be installed was the issue with the exhaust flaps not properly opening or closing and causing an issue with the selector modes. Be sure you mention that you are looking to have this issue fixed and not just a PCM update for piston slap. In order for Ford to cover the work it has to be related to the issue the update was made for.

Your mileage may vary, but this was the verbiage that needed to be used in order for the dealer to get reimbursed.

Overall the car feels better down low. Some of it may be placebo, but some of it is definitely real. Piston slap appears to be reduced as well.

VoodooBoss and RaiderJatt02 like this.
  6. blk2017

blk2017 TMO Intermediate

I live in Austria (Europe) and just had this done. To generate the drive mode fault, pull relay 59 in the fuse box up front. The relay controls the exhaust valves. Pull the relay and take a drive. I did this multiple times over 3-4 days. When they hook up IDS it will show all the faults. They will do the update then. The PCM software version on my car was FR3A-12A650-FFA and FR3A-12A650-FFB (as posted above) after the update. Did it with no questions asked. Their IDS was able to get the software even here in Europe. Took 15 min tops. Here is a picture of the fuse box on the passenger side in the engine compartment. It's relay 59
    Fuse - Relay Box.jpg