The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Oil Cooler Tube Assembly Recall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboygsxr said:
Ok, I bought my car Sep 30th but it's a 2017 made in June or July. I'll have to check the door. They had barely received the car when I bought it. I've got two track weekends on the car and no issues. We shall see...

I don't think your buy date matters at all. Its the date the car was built thats important. That is found on the inside of the drivers door jam on the sticker where the tire pressures are listed.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
2015s thru 2017s , so one might check with their local Dealer and see if the Vin pulls up anything, since the letter to the consumer is not likely to go out till next month.

Flyboygsxr said:
Ok, I bought my car Sep 30th but it's a 2017 made in June or July. I'll have to check the door. They had barely received the car when I bought it. I've got two track weekends on the car and no issues. We shall see...
The link below was elsewhere in the thread and I just added it to the first post. You can find out if your car is on the recall list by inserting your VIN into their database.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
shelbyman1 said:
I don't think your buy date matters at all. Its the date the car was built thats important. That is found on the inside of the drivers door jam on the sticker where the tire pressures are listed.

Roger, that's why I said my car was built in June or July of 2016. I hope that i'm not on the recall list. Getting a free oil change from the dealer isn't worth it to me. On a different vehicle I took in for service once...the car had less than 100 miles on it. When I got it back they had put almost 100 miles on my car! I was pissed, they said I could have a free oil change to make up for it? WTF

I would love to know more about this picture as well. I was trying to figure out if it was at a track location or just on the side of a road. From the surroundings it could be out in the Desert Center area east of Indio around Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. Did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything.

mattlqx

Mustangless
shelbyman1 said:
I would love to know more about this picture as well. I was trying to figure out if it was at a track location or just on the side of a road. From the surroundings it could be out in the Desert Center area east of Indio around Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. Did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything.

It's a video taken from the highway, supposedly around Las Vegas. https://www.instagram.com/p/BONbIbpgDUP/

I heard a rumor that is was in my area and it looks like the road going out to Pahrump. I only know of one white R from my area but haven't seen it in person yet. I will keep checking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VoodooBOSS said:
I wonder if @Moto might be able to check his Vegas sources to see if he can find out what happened.

Would be good to know if it was a problem with the oil thermostat housing as was said about the yellow R that you all have seen in flames on the track.

VoodooBOSS said:
Bumping this in case someone has seen anything on the cause of the fire.

IMO the car needs a larger oil cooler so maybe a nice aftermarket solution with race proven AN fittings is in order.

My thinking is along these lines as well. Thats why I bought an extra set of hoses just to be able to harvest the factory fittings into the cooler and filter adapter in order to have Teflon lines made up with AN fittings. Not sure at this point if I will do anything like putting in a Setrab cooler or not. My plans are to track it just now and then and not to push it really hard when I do. :)

For anyone interested, I've been working with a local shop to create a better fix. Here's a pic of what it will look like....

32374944060_dc0b838e83_k.jpg

I'm excited that there is now an option other than the stock parts. You have to wonder if even the "new" FORD parts will hold up? 100 psi!!! This aftermarket solution will not come apart! They will also be making them in Black Anodized if you're willing to wait a little longer. You can't see it anyway unless you have the car up in the air.

Call TJ at TK Autosports. 888-978-5506 or Email him at [email protected]. I think first run will be bare aluminum and possibly black anodized.

EDIT: fix pic link only

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio
I'm not very mechanical, so I was curious on why this solution is better than the Ford replacement. Looking at the two solutions it appears that Ford is overly complex with more points of failure. My concern is that the new solution is to simplistic. Any help on understanding the differences between the two solutions would be greatly appreciated. I've missed one track event so far this year and if I can find a better solution that can be delivered quicker, I am up for it.

TMO Supporting Vendors