The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Oil Cooler Tube Assembly Recall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like it. It appears they made some custom fittings on the one end or is it both? I'm still waiting for Ford to fix my car but I might do this immediately afterwards. Do you know if this shop is working on a larger oil cooler?

btaylor101 said:
I'm not very mechanical, so I was curious on why this solution is better than the Ford replacement. Looking at the two solutions it appears that Ford is overly complex with more points of failure. My concern is that the new solution is to simplistic. Any help on understanding the differences between the two solutions would be greatly appreciated. I've missed one track event so far this year and if I can find a better solution that can be delivered quicker, I am up for it.

Well not being an engineer I can't tell you from that standpoint the technical advantages but I can say the AN fittings have been around a long time and have stood the test of time being used in racing all over the world. And obviously there are fewer connection points where a failure could occur. And according to 84venom the new fittings are going to have tighter tolerances than the stock ones and the O rings are going to be viton vs rubber. Also the stainless hoses would be teflon lined and can stand up to much higher temps(500) than the stock Ford rubber hoses which Brooks at Mesa Hose here in Costa Mesa said would break down and deteriorate over time eventually leading to a leak. Hope this helps.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Down side is the recall branding will still be on your vehicle until you get the specific revised hoses installed by a ford dealer.

This will be a great option once you've already had the dealer install the revised parts.

50Deep said:
Down side is the recall branding will still be on your vehicle until you get the specific revised hoses installed by a ford dealer.

This will be a great option once you've already had the dealer install the revised parts.

Yes I totally agree with you that you HAVE to have Ford do the recall. So I'm probably not going to do anything until after that has been done....IF they ever get around to it. ::)

btaylor101 said:
I'm not very mechanical, so I was curious on why this solution is better than the Ford replacement. Looking at the two solutions it appears that Ford is overly complex with more points of failure. My concern is that the new solution is to simplistic. Any help on understanding the differences between the two solutions would be greatly appreciated. I've missed one track event so far this year and if I can find a better solution that can be delivered quicker, I am up for it.

I don't think you can make it too simple. I've learned through 20 years of racing that the best solution is usually the simplest. Complication breeds more problems. This setup is very straight forward and it works. Oil in, oil out, short runs and better flow than those twisty turny stock lines.

VoodooBOSS said:
I like it. It appears they made some custom fittings on the one end or is it both? I'm still waiting for Ford to fix my car but I might do this immediately afterwards. Do you know if this shop is working on a larger oil cooler?

No plans for a larger cooler at this point. I believe temps will go down with this setup. Better flow/circulation with these direct runs should make the system more efficient. Has anyone experienced excessive oil temps with the stock setup?

shelbyman1 said:
Yes I totally agree with you that you HAVE to have Ford do the recall. So I'm probably not going to do anything until after that has been done....IF they ever get around to it. ::)

I'm doing it now so I can drive the car without fear. If/when the recall actually happens, I'll just pop the stock lines back on and go get the recall satisfied. Then, pull the "new" recall lines back off and put the better lines back on. In the event of a serious warranty claim, I can still put the stock lines back on for posterity.... ;)

VoodooBOSS said:
My last track day before the recall I saw mid 260's. It was 100 degrees out with low humidity and at sea level.

260s isn't bad considering the conditions, especially with synthetic oils.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Quite a few people reporting the recall has been done on their cars now. I called my nearest dealer last week and they took my VIN and said they'd let me know when parts come in. Still waiting.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We got in a 2017 from another Dealer ( posted on here , but it sold quite quickly ) and it definitely showed no recall necessary on said car - so obviously built after the notice came out. Gentleman who belongs to our track club picked up a 2016 recently , and it had the recall done already ( as I informed him about it prior to his purchase )

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Re the AN fittings - It stands for Army Navy is was designed for aircraft and military vehicles long ago. Generally these fitting are of a much higher quality and tolerance than any commercial fitting.

Recall: oil lines--Completed.

Good News-- Apparently they will mail an owners appreciation gift which will include an oil filter wrench plus additional swag.

Bad news: they completely botched the splitter install. It had the 1/4" droop all along the front from not getting the splitter into the slots. Also the belly pan was not fit into the wheel wells properly and was hanging down in the front on both sides.
I fixed the whole install and found several screws from the splitter fallen and laying loose under the oil cooler and the half moon clips were all missing. 6 screws were not installed(2 of the diag and all four vertical) and 2 of the clips they screwed into were out so I couldn't just put in new screws. I went and bought the missing parts and will reinstall it myself as when I showed it to the technician, he swore to the service manager that he didn't remove or loosen any of the splitter as the belly pan simply comes off without going near the splitter. (Which is wrong)
I decided to take it and fix it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Might be good idea , if you in a decent size city to call in to check if the shop has done any of the recalls. Always good to be the third or fourth repair job and not the first one - in my estimation.

Last edited:
I got my recall done Thursday/Friday- Took it in Thursday and they discovered a small seal leak on the left side of the radiator and had to chase a new radiator overnight too. Glad they caught it there as I had a HPDE day on Saturday with nearly no shakedown time. All went well with the reassembly and no saggy splitter- Woohoo!

In the V6L
Mine's going tomorrow and I'm expecting drama around my CF splitter.

Mine was done today and the service guy that made sure that my front splitter was installed correctly last year wrote the work order today. Car was perfect when I picked it up.

Of course, a CF splitter might be more controversial. Just be glad they use impact wrenches and not chain saws.

My car was completed today and had my engine, trans and diff fluids changed at the same time. What's the retail on the oil filter? They were going to charge me $51 but I told him that wasn't correct that retail was in the $30 range so they adjusted the price. Mechanic noted that I had an aftermarket splitter and that it "took extra time". I appreciated them taking the extra time and it's installed correctly. :) Overall very pleased with the service from Future Ford Roseville.

TMO Supporting Vendors