The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 prep for CAMC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not getting to do as many DE events as I would like because of financial restraints that will continue in 2021. Planning to run CAMC with SCCA more in 2021. The GT350 is really a better track car than Autocross, but limited by funds. What suspension changes would you make to make car more competitive, but nothing that would raise instant warranty flags when it does into dealer for servicing. Car is more street and fun drives than track/autocross. Do I do not want crazy NVH as will take family to car events in the GT350. Its hard to tell many times what parts are needed or compatible with the GT350 vs the regular GT. Here is the items already on the list.

11x19 square wheels 50 mm offset and 305/30/19 tires TBD
ARP Wheel studs
1' spacers.
Steeda rear sub frame alignment kit
Ford Camber plates M-3050-A
Ford Performance Toe Link Bushing M-5A460-M
BMR RH017 - for sleeve in rear diff bushing - does GT350 need this part?

Thinking about Steeda S550 Rear Control Arm Bushing 555-4117 ?

Wanting to keep the Magnaride Shocks and stock Springs. Already have R rear sway bar.

What other recommendations would you make?

Andrew

Bay Area
What is your track experience like? If you don’t want to raise a warranty issue, I’d install FP springs, CC plates and subframe connectors. That’s not going to increase NVH and the cars rides fairly comfortable in normal susp mode, yet firms up nicely in sport mode. Plus, since budget seems to be a concern. This will not break the bank
This set up will give you a good baseline to improve upon

What is your track experience like? If you don’t want to raise a warranty issue, I’d install FP springs, CC plates and subframe connectors. That’s not going to increase NVH and the cars rides fairly comfortable in normal susp mode, yet firms up nicely in sport mode. Plus, since budget seems to be a concern. This will not break the bank
This set up will give you a good baseline to improve upon
I started Autocrossing back in 90. I actively campaigned in SCCA Club Racing from 97- 07. I took a sabbatical from late 07 to 19 because my wife was worried about raising kids and the risks were too high wheel to wheel racing. The kids are now older teenagers and I have been allowed to start attending track/autocross, so I bought the GT350 as its pretty good track car out of the box. A job switch in mid-19 and now Covid have greatly reduced the car funds.

I bought the Ford extended warranty because of possible Voodoo motor issues down the road. The local Ford dealer has been very picky about warranty items when under bumper to bumper. So not wanting to make changes that are so obvious to raise any red flags with the dealer.

I have driven IT and GT3 cars on the track so I have experience with both DOT R tires and slicks. No wanting to make the GT350 a punishment box to get a few extra tenth's of a second. Will autocross in 2021 so stay active and hope to get a few track days in 2021.

In the V6L
Here are my thoughts based on my four years of HPDE in my 2016 GT350:

11x19 square wheels 50 mm offset and 305/30/19 tires TBD
ARP Wheel studs
1' spacers.

On the wheels, studs and spacers, I'd give the factory rims a try first with the tires you want to run. My experience is that the OEM 10.5" rims are very stiff, so throwing a set of 305's on them works pretty well. Don't let the internet droning about the "heavy rims" bother you. They're fine. Put your money into tires first.

Steeda rear sub frame alignment kit

Might be worthwhile - haven't tried it myself.

Ford Camber plates M-3050-A

Reports are that these are hard to adjust. I use the Steeda camber plates - tried the Vorshlag ones but switched to the Steeda.

Ford Performance Toe Link Bushing M-5A460-M

FP's website doesn't list this bearing for the GT350 because it's already installed from the factory.

BMR RH017 - for sleeve in rear diff bushing - does GT350 need this part?
Thinking about Steeda S550 Rear Control Arm Bushing 555-4117 ?

Can't say about these parts - no experience. What I will say is that you should invest in a set of adjustable rear camber arms and toe links. I have BMR and they're excellent but a lot of folks like Full Tilt Boogie Racing. Getting the rear alignment right is both important and surprisingly difficult and these guys make it manageable.

Just a thought, but why not keep the car stock and run it in B Street with SCCA? Save the money and invest in a good set of 200tw street tires, a good alignment, and as much seat time as possible. I’d run the car there and not worry about voiding the warranty while retaining all the stock ride/nvh comfort.

As far as I’ve seen on the SCCA tour over the past few years, the GT350 is a pretty solid contender out of the box in B street. Mark Daddio runs one locally here and has done very well (anyone who knows anything about SCCA nationals knows that Daddio doesn’t waste time in uncompetitive cars lol).

Whatever you decide, I’m sure you’ll have a great time with the car!

J

TMO Supporting Vendors