The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Production and Order Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

At the end of Track Tour a couple of attendees and I had a conversation with Jim Owens and asked him a few question about production numbers and when the cars will ship. He didn't answer the questions directly but gave analogies in the typical Ford corporate doctrine. ;D The below is not a direct quote rather my interpretation of what he said.

Production Numbers:

He stated that Ford has given specific production numbers for certain vehicles on several occasions. Think what was stated on the Boss. He then asked us if Ford has stated one word about GT350 production? The answer is no. He then said production will be between Boss and 13/14 GT500 production so expect approximately 5,000 non R and 500 R's as previously reported and over multiple years not just two as some think. He did mention the CF wheel manufacturer was having challenges ramping up production which is understandable going from very limited production to almost 1,000 sets per year. Also vehicle production will be limited to meet the exclusivity part of Ford Performance's new goals.

2015 Release:

He mentioned that as in the past Ford holds new production vehicles for weeks while they preform quality checks until the "OK to Buy" has been given. I asked him if the cars were being held so the press could drive them first and he just smiled. He smiles at everything. He then said the hold time is similar to other vehicles so I expect the cars to be released very soon and maybe even next week. ;)

2016 Production:

I asked why production had been held up noting the 2015's were produced in July. He stated that the 2016 Job 1 had started the previous week per the video release and that everything appears to be on schedule. Expect production to ramp up immediately if it hasn't already. From his previous comments and from what has been circulating I expect everything to stop being pushed back, although that always happens, and production to move to a more normal mode from here on out. That is somewhat contingent on the CF wheels being available for the R's.

@cloud9
@fuhrius
@jmbboss302
@jas427
@ChopSui

My build date started out at 8/17 and then moved out a week as the next week went by. The latest update is week of 9/14, but no specific build day. It will get here when it gets here and looks like I'll be putting in the roll bar this winter in preparation for track events next spring. If it gets here in time to give it the 1000 mile break-in this fall that would awesome :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I heard that Non-R production numbers would be close to GT500 numbers, definitely more than the Boss where approximate production were provided early on. One of my friends the went the day before with the dealers, said he heard there was no cap on the Non-R production. Maybe that means they'll build until sales drop off?

The term he used with our group for the QC inspection was 'fly speck' before being released for sale. Good thing, because I could see a lot of little things in the cars we got close to.

Grant 302 said:
I heard that Non-R production numbers would be close to GT500 numbers, definitely more than the Boss where approximate production were provided early on. One of my friends the went the day before with the dealers, said he heard there was no cap on the Non-R production. Maybe that means they'll build until sales drop off?

The term he used with our group for the QC inspection was 'fly speck' before being released for sale. Good thing, because I could see a lot of little things in the cars we got close to.
I spoke too soon......now it's week of October 12. I am guessing it will turn out like I originally thought where I would get it in time to store for the winter and work on installing the roll bar in the garage to be ready for spring.

VooDooBOSS said:
2015 Release:[/b]

He mentioned that as in the past Ford holds new production vehicles for weeks while they preform quality checks until the "OK to Buy" has been given. I asked him if the cars were being held so the press could drive them first and he just smiled. He smiles at everything. He then said the hold time is similar to other vehicles so I expect the cars to be released very soon and maybe even next week. ;)
Oh I really hope so... paid for my '15 back in 1st week of Aug and just awaiting for Ford to give the green light to ship out... yeah, I'm so effin anxious! ;D

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bossing302 said:
Oh I really hope so... paid for my '15 back in 1st week of Aug and just awaiting for Ford to give the green light to ship out... yeah, I'm so effin anxious! ;D

You do realize more people will win the lottery this year than buy a 2015 T-350....Ever!!

Just a bit envious!!!

Congrats!!!! ;D

TMSBOSS said:
You do realize more people will win the lottery this year than buy a 2015 T-350....Ever!!

Just a bit envious!!!

Congrats!!!! ;D
Thank you, I'm getting more anxious as each day passes by. I was referred to this availability back on 7/29 by another forum member and it turned out as similar to my 2016 order! Mine is a Track pkg with Avalanche Gray and Black/White over the roof stripes and Painted Black Roof. So far, this is 1 of 5 made for 2015 with the exact same option items... mine is VIN #134. :)

Oh I still haven't cancelled my '16 order yet... and it just got a VIN # last week! ;D

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bossing302 said:
Thank you, I'm getting more anxious as each day passes by. I was referred to this availability back on 7/29 by another forum member and it turned out as similar to my 2016 order! Mine is a Track pkg with Avalanche Gray and Black/White over the roof stripes and Painted Black Roof. So far, this is 1 of 5 made for 2015 with the exact same option items... mine is VIN #134. :)

Oh I still haven't cancelled my '16 order yet... and it just got a VIN # last week! ;D

So you have a 2015 AND a 2016 on order. I think I hate you. ;D

TMSBOSS said:
So you have a 2015 AND a 2016 on order. I think I hate you. ;D
How about half hate? ;D

I'm still undecided on keeping it (the '16) or one of my local friends may take over my order... or worst case, just get my refundable deposit back from the dealer. But it's assigned a VIN already and build date is now pushed to 10/12.

VooDooBOSS said:
2015 Release:

I still think they could be released this week.

TMO Supporting Vendors