The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 & R Track Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012B2L

That Ford Guy
Ford Employee
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
What is everyone planning for track tires on the GT350? Anyone started the research on figments for the R spec wheel to maximize performance and minimize cost?

We've been discussing tires in the thread below. I'm planning on running the R's PSC2 tires for my first go around. I drive my car to the track so I need to remain street legal. If those prove to be too costly I'll move to Nitto NT01's in either 305/30/19 square or 305/30/19F and 325/30/19R. @cloud9 and @Black Boss are looking at Hoosiers.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=9850.0

I have to drive to the track as well. For now prob RE11 305 square. NT01 is another great option. RE71R in 305 is slated to come out mid 16. Cup2 is too pricey for me....like close to $2200-2300 b/f shipping, mounting, sensors etc.

Based on another thread here, Im looking into used racing slicks. If I go that route obviously have to figure out transporting 2nd set of wheels/tires. I have seen this done with roof racks before.

I'm going to run the PSC2's initially on the track, and will use PSS on the street/wet (in my view the PSC2 is not really a street tire, unless you're driving to the track like Rick).

I also plan to test fit Hoos R7's in 315/30 all round -- they cost less than the PSC2's and should have at least the same if not more grip. Only downsides are no 305 fitment (will have to drop to 295 up front if 315's don't fit) and obviously they're not street legal....

C7 B8 said:
Based on another thread here, Im looking into used racing slicks. If I go that route obviously have to figure out transporting 2nd set of wheels/tires. I have seen this done with roof racks before.

And tow behind trailers work good too. Just not sure if a hitch is available for the GT350 yet.

C7 B8 said:
I have to drive to the track as well. For now prob RE11 305 square. NT01 is another great option. RE71R in 305 is slated to come out mid 16. Cup2 is too pricey for me....like close to $2200-2300 b/f shipping, mounting, sensors etc.

Im very interested in the RE71R, some folks are saying despite the treadwear rating, they offer near R-comp grip

But I will take the car out on the stock PSS first

C7 B8 said:
No parking space for trailer :(
Then roof rack it is! @Grant 302 is a master at packing his Mustangs for the track and he could do it without a roof rack!

I'll have the N4SM R style wheels with the PSC2 tires on them and will only drive on the street to and from the track. The stock PSS will be my street tires.

FWIW I had an in depth conversation with one of the VDE's and he was insistent that the custom blend PSC2 tires on the R are faster than the Pirelli Trefeo R, the Z/28 tire, and almost as fast as a Hoosier R7. If they last six track days I'll be happy.

Black Boss said:
I also plan to test fit Hoos R7's in 315/30 all round -- they cost less than the PSC2's and should have at least the same if not more grip. Only downsides are no 305 fitment (will have to drop to 295 up front if 315's don't fit) and obviously they're not street legal....
+1 I think the 295 should stretch on the 11" wheel so not sure how much actual contact patch will be lost if we have to go this route. To be honest I didn't gain much when I went from the 295 to the 315 on the Boss up front using an 11" wheel.

VooDooBOSS said:
Then roof rack it is! @Grant 302 is a master at packing his Mustangs for the track and he could do it without a roof rack!

I'll have the N4SM R style wheels with the PSC2 tires on them and will only drive on the street to and from the track. The stock PSS will be my street tires.

FWIW I had an in depth conversation with one of the VDE's and he was insistent that the custom blend PSC2 tires on the R are faster than the Pirelli Trefeo R, the Z/28 tire, and almost as fast as a Hoosier R7. If they last six track days I'll be happy.

I was told the same at the Track Tour. BUT six track days for $2500ish tires w/misc thats a bit much. Add-on fees, fuel etc....good news is GT350 brakes should last longer than ones on my s197.

@Grant302 would love to hear your tricks!

I''m going to run is the way I get it (assuming I ever get it). Cup 2's. I drive to the track (only about 70 miles each way, for me, to Laguna Seca and Sears Point)...so they should do just fine.

I'm curious about heat cycling the Cup 2s. If they're essentially an r-comp tire, won't they heat cycle out and start hardening/losing grip after repeated street driving?

I don't think you really get enough heat in the tires with street driving to truly heat cycle them. I could be wrong but that is what other people running PSC2s have said. I read it on the internet so it must be true. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors