The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Rear Caliper Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm trying to swap my calipers today and the first thing I run into is the parking brake cable for the drum inside the rear rotor. Does anyone have a good tip on how to remove the cable so you can access the caliper bolt? Nothing is ever as easy as you think it's going to be. ::)

@Black Boss
@voodoo child21
@8250RPM

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Re: GT350 Rear Caliper Removel

Did you try pulling the cable housing straight back, first photo?

The housing likely seats in the bracket. When retracted, the housing should be free and the cable will they slide through the slot in the bracket. Once free there should be enough slack to remove cable from e-brake lever.

Or not. :eek:

Good luck

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

I think Tracy's suggestion got you covered. You probably need to pull up a bit as you pull it out. (That's what she said). ;D

Doesn't even look like it has a retainer clip to remove like on the S197s. Hard to tell in your pic.

This is from 8250RPM

"To remove the parking cable it's best done from under the car above the drive shaft. You will see the adjusting nut. It's 10mm. Back this off until the tension is off the cable. Then the cable end at the caliper will come off easy."

I didn't see this in the service manual I have but I'll look for this.

Yep, and dont be shy loosening it, I ended up backing it off almost an inch. Of course this was after 2-3 attempts with a lesser amount of tension 8).

A ratcheting box wrench and a pair of long nose pliers are useful to hold the cable in place as you unwind the nut. I ended up adding a bit more tension in the line than how it a

I must be blind... I installed new rear pads on my '17 yesterday and looked to find the cable adjuster that's been spoken of and could not. I followed the wheel cables up to the splitter bracket (located quite inconveniently above the exhaust X pipe), but could not see or feel any adjustment mechanism. The single cable then goes up through the body pan and also has no adjuster that I could see. What did I miss???

Thanks in advance!

I just reinstalled my OEM pads/rotors after first track day and I decided to try without loosening the cable. I used a tack lifter (a bent/forked screwdriver) to lever the cable seat up and slide the bare cable through the slot on the bracket. It's exactly the same principle as the cable brakes on a bike (to remove the cable fro the brake lever)11TL-1-1.jpg

GA
I've seen that this a popular tool:

However, for $100 bucks I'm not sure if it's worth the investment for the removal of the e-brake spring. Can someone provide links to their suggested tools. I've seen long flat head screw drivers but I don't know how long is long.

Although I love collecting tools and I know there's nothing better then the right tool for the job... the cheap guy in me got this done using a zip tie to compress and hold the spring.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel