The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Rear Girodisc install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
ROTOR UPDATE
I will admit I am a slacker when it comes to posting anything anymore. @50Deep can vote for me on that. HAH But on a serious note.

I was able to get some temps right off the track with another GT350 on the same day. Thanks you @Dave_Car_Guy for helping me get temps that day.

These were taken on 9/25/20 at Sonoma Raceway.

Images 76721 & 76731 temps were taken right next to the upper part of the rear caliper and these pics were taken as soon as the car was parked.

Images 76621 & 76631 were taken about 6 mins after the car was parked. We thought that TC was kicking in and that is why one side was much higher on the stock rotors. But we can not confirm that so its an assumption.

Images ending in 104215 & 104230 are off of my car and were taken as soon as I parked and were measured in the same area. As you can see there is a huge difference in rotor temps.

20200925_104215.jpg

20200925_104230.jpg

IMG_76621.jpg

IMG_76631.jpg

IMG_76721.jpg

IMG_76731.jpg

GA
So we cannot get away of removing the rear rotor by just removing the caliper like you could with the fronts?
1617119515015.png
Reviewing the service manual, it states these two bolts have to come out and thrown away and re-installed with 81 lb/ft of torque.
I'm hoping that's not the case that they do not need to be thrown away or that it has to come out to replace the rotor.
1617119438496.png

Are you guys reusing the YTT bolts that should be thrown away according to the manaul or replacing it with unknown part number? It sounds like I need to purchase some tools for the parking brake. Sadly, a lot of the different tools offered here are no longer in stock or unavailable to purchase. Any other suggestions?

In the V6L
So we cannot get away of removing the rear rotor by just removing the caliper like you could with the fronts?

Reviewing the service manual, it states these two bolts have to come out and thrown away and re-installed with 81 lb/ft of torque.
I'm hoping that's not the case that they do not need to be thrown away or that it has to come out to replace the rotor.

Are you guys reusing the YTT bolts that should be thrown away according to the manaul or replacing it with unknown part number? It sounds like I need to purchase some tools for the parking brake. Sadly, a lot of the different tools offered here are no longer in stock or unavailable to purchase. Any other suggestions?
I'm not sure what you mean in your first sentence. The answer is, yes, you have to remove the caliper to remove the rotor (and you have to have the handbrake off too). The spring and handbrake cable end (upper picture) have to be undone to access the two bolts that hold the caliper on.

The two bolts in the lower picture are not TTY - torque to yield - they're just bolts with thread locker on them. Ford wants them replaced because new bolts have new thread locker. You can reuse them and just use a bit of Loctite with them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel