The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Rear Hub part # question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I think my driver’s side rear wheel bearing is going bad, since I’m getting “creaking” noises starting from a stop and audible while rolling at low speeds. Because I have ARP studs installed I don’t think my dealer is going to be easy to deal with and I’m just going to tackle this myself.

My question is - do all 15-18 mustangs use the same rear hub assembly? CJ Pony Parts lists FR3Z-1104-B as fitting ALL S550s at $85, but I see AutoNation white bear lake with part # FR3Z-1104E for the Shelby at $263. Are they the same part?

Here's the noise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They should still warranty it. Stud changes won’t break the warranty. They would have to prove you broke the bearing with the longer stud. Studs they already use from the factory on the R model with the carbon fiber wheel hubs.

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate it. Given the cost, and that I’m not 100% it is the bearing versus a CV issue, I’m going to try the dealer route.

Thanks everyone. Going to the dealer Wednesday. The dealer feedback was if they deem the install of the ARP studs caused an issue it’s on me, otherwise it’s warranty work. Given the studs have been in since late May and have 9 track days and thousands of miles on them, and the issue just came up a couple of weeks back I’m pretty sure anything buggered on the install would have reared its head by now.

Welp, the dealer believes the noise is emanating from the rear brakes and wanted me to pay out of pocket for new pads/rotors. Doesn’t sound like any brake noise I’ve heard and is independent of any brake activity. Pleaded my case - they are going to replace pads and rotors under warranty. I’ll be shocked, but pleasantly surprised if that solves the issue - they believe it will. If it does, the service advisor/tech will get an apology from me and a Christmas bonus/lunch.

To close the loop. It was the wheel bearing. Dealer refused to warranty it because of the wheel studs, and charged me a not-cool $640 to replace, and wouldn’t even put the ARPs in the new hub. Pretty salty. I’m buying the tools to do it myself next time, and by next time I mean taking it back apart to put studs back in...

DFW, TX
I had longer studs in my FRS and while it was in for service the dealer "checked" the torque on the lugnuts. Long story, short, they massively over-torqued them, couldn't get the lugnuts off to change tires. A few studs stripped in the hub while trying to loosen lugnuts (by hand) and had to fix it all myself... Replaced three hubs in total.

A nightmare!

I had longer studs in my FRS and while it was in for service the dealer "checked" the torque on the lugnuts. Long story, short, they massively over-torqued them, couldn't get the lugnuts off to change tires. A few studs stripped in the hub while trying to loosen lugnuts (by hand) and had to fix it all myself... Replaced three hubs in total.

A nightmare!

Wow that’s spectacularly bad! I went ahead and got a small press yesterday to remove the ARPs from the bad hub. Works like a charm!f3331fb6224846163093effce259c26b.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors