The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 reliability discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I consider my track use occasional (2-3 track weekends a year) other than track days and an occasional weekend drive it rarely leaves the garage. I haven't had any mechanical issues but, I am concerned about the longevity as my track weekends increase. I have considered a 5.2 CPC engine when the time comes or even lucking up a finding FP350s at a price point makes it advantageous to sell my car to obtain one.

Last edited:
I was surprised to find that according to the article EVERY Porsche 991 had their engines recalled, makes any of our problems sound like no big deal. They also discuss the 3 generations of the gt350 engine

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
A fellow track mate from our series has a 991 gt3 and he is on his third engine after running the car for less then two years. lucky for him they have all been replaced by Porsche free of charge. The GT3's got a super extended transferable warranty.

In the V6L
...They also discuss the 3 generations of the gt350 engine
And, in one fell swoop, they vaporize any credibility they may have had when they started. The Voodoo is swarming with running changes that FP made month by month over it's production life. There is virtually nothing in the 2020 engine that's the same as the 2015/16 engine - maybe a few bolts, but that's pretty much it. Different block, different heads, different pistons, different rings, valves, you name it. The "three generation" story is a myth made up by people that desperately want to believe that the newest engines are the best. They're all excellent, right from the start, and Ford was right there for the small number of folks who got a bad one.

TMO Supporting Vendors