The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Reverse Camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
..I would prefer to avoid the back – people above reported heat issues and any potential water issues from up under the bumper. This is why I would put everything up near the dash. But good explanation!

It might also be cool to add another camera - front looking which would also be easy to do...
The backup camera is mounted in the trunk lid, so it's the same temperature as the trunk is - warm but not "hot" and not exposed to the weather.

My preference for plug-in solutions like the one I described is that I like to be able to restore the factory wiring with a minimum of fuss, and the pass-through makes that easy. The other reason I prefer this approach is that you can build all the electronics and wire harness components on the bench then install them - there's a very limited amount of work to be done inside the car. I'm a big fan of "easy" and this approach makes installing this stuff very easy and a lot less error-prone.

As for heat and water issues, you can rely on Ford's testing during development because the connectors you get from your favorite electronics supply company are the same manufacturer and part number as the connector that came from the factory. Not just similar, but literally the same. The subcontractors in Ontario or Michigan that make the factory wiring harnesses buy their parts from the same suppliers you're buying from. If the connector in the car has a weather seal, pin locks, a retaining latch, a 105C thermal rating and a Christmas-tree style panel retainer to hold it in place, then you can buy a connector for your pass-through harness that has all of those features too.

As for a second camera, the place to wire that in is up in the center console behind the FCIM. You can buy aftermarket harnesses that just clip in and make it work.

In the V6L
If the BCM is involved in switching on the rear camera, do we know if this could be controlled through a Forscan change?
Probably not. It's not even clear how the digital chain of command works on the camera. The ECU is the only module connected to the reverse switch, and a lot happens when you shift into reverse gear: the BCM switches the camera and the backup lights on and the ABS module releases the hill-holder. So, while the BCM has a control line for the camera, it's not clear how the APIM (display module) switches to the backup camera view instead of the regular Sync3 screen. If that relies on a CAN bus message then it's possible that even if the camera is live and producing video, the display itself might not switch to the camera view.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel