The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picked up my car yesterday.
Does anyone else have a hard time getting the shifter far enough left to engage reverse?
I actually need to pull it over with two hands to be able to get into the gate.
Actually tics me off a little.
Guy

Edit: Added GT350 to the subject. VB

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Re: Reverse

Do you have the stock or after market shifter? Some aftermarket shifters have some adjustability.

My Boss requires significant effort while my daughters mustang is easy to put into reverse.

I runs MGW shifter on both.

IMO if you can get the car into reverse, it's good. Why? No worries about hitting reverse at a light.

A 3-1 shift at a light which ends up as a 1-R can be shocking.

Ah the first GT350 problem thread, congratulations. ::) I never put the one I drove into reverse so I have no idea. The rest of the gears felt light and precise. Does the shifter feel fine in the other gears?

@Black Boss
@cloud9

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

VooDooBOSS said:
Ah the first GT350 problem thread, congratulations. ::) I never put the one I drove into reverse so I have no idea. The rest of the gears felt light and precise. Does the shifter feel fine in the other gears?

@Black Boss
@cloud9

Mine requires very little effort to get into reverse -- time for a dealer visit....

It is the GT350 and a dealer visit is the last thing I want to do.
I'll be looking at it tomorrow.
The rest of the gears are excellent.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TMSBOSS said:
Does the 350 have a release or collar you have to pull up on for reverse?

That's what I think. IIRC, it's different than the Boss/MT-82.

EDIT:
Looking at some pics, I'm pretty sure that's it. Pull up on the chrome collar under the shifter knob.

you need to pull up the collar ring to go into R
when you want out simply slip out of R

gww52 said:
Picked up my car yesterday.
Does anyone else have a hard time getting the shifter far enough left to engage reverse?
I actually need to pull it over with two hands to be able to get into the gate.
Actually tics me off a little.
Guy

Edit: Added GT350 to the subject. VB

Yup, as mentioned, pull the collar up to be allowed into the reverse gate. Look closely and you can see the cast ridge on the shifter arm and the companion area on the black plastic tube on the shifter.

_TR3160%20on%20stand.jpg

I suspect your issue is internal to the TR3160 and not the shifter mechanism itself. The shifter has zero adjustment.

1209151249_HDR_resized_3.jpg

ON EDIT:

Thinking this one through, I'm struck by your comment that "I actually need to pull it over with two hands to be able to get into the gate." You can try pulling the boot up (google for a '15 or later shifter install from any popular company for a video on how to do it) and verifying that the black plastic collar is indeed being pulled up all the way. These shifters are very low cost and if yours wasn't assembled correctly or a defective part is intervening you should see it right away.

No problems with mine, pull up on the collar and it slips right in to R. I'm very happy with the shifter and trans so far. Won't know how it behaves on track for a few months :'(

TMO Supporting Vendors