The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 springs to GT350R springs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last night at 2am I couldn't sleep so I went out to my garage and since I had my car on the lift I had a idea. I have a GT350 track pack and I also have a set of GT350R front and rear springs as some of you know. I've been so busy at work that I haven't had any time to work on my car but soon I will because the weather is gonna get nice soon and I want to enjoy it. Anyhow while laying in bed I had a though of doing this.
The R springs are supposed to lower the car 1/2". Some have stated it will or may change the mg perimeter. My idea is this. On the ride height / suspension travel sensors their is a link arm. My idea is to measure this angle as stock with the stock springs and stock wheels and ride height. Then note that angle, then after the R springs and my 305/30 FORGELINE-Michelin psc2 adjust back to that same stock noted angle. This could be done in 4 ways.
1) make a new lower control arm bracket that lowers the links attachment point for the sensor and restores the angle. Pain
2) make a new upper bracket that restores the sensors stock angle. Pain
3) slot the two holes on the bracket that holds the sensor, this can give adjustment to rotate the link arm to restore the angle.
4) and in my opinion the easiest, an adjustable link rod. It's just a ball stud on each end that can be bought and use some stainless steel all thread. These sensors pretty much do the same as the old air ride height sensors.3540256c75bd0252f76f468d17aa3812.jpg67d55f7ad9c52e63bbc5581065895612.jpg8785ee4f46d06f27cfcd230643e569f7.jpg3d8d73c8aa8e3429efcd07d3ded5e1b2.jpg

Restore this angle after lowering car.
1fcad506f3643d9481dea6ff029d52c3.jpg

Interesting idea. I think your idea will work but I'm not sure how much impact the change will have. Regardless there are procedures for ride height calibration so that might be all you need to do.

I've been reading the service manual briefly, and came across the section that talks about doing a relearn on the ride leveling sensor after replacement. Unfortunately my snap on verus is not capable of doing this relearn as of this time because the 2016 program is not available yet. My only option would be to go back to the dealer :eek: which is a big NO for me or to purchase the software from ford so I can do it myself :) I'm also looking to see if the MG resets itself after each start up or key cycle. This may be a possibly because if the car is parked on unlevel ground all the parameters would be different since last driven. When doing a relearn it must be on level ground and be at a empty weight (no passengers, luggage, additional weight, etc...) I'll keep this page updated as I go. Also on another note, I've been looking everywhere for the rear sway bar links for the GT350R because they are .312 (5/16") shorter. Every dealer I talk to says they are all the same part numbers for ALL mustangs! Well he's my guess and I'll check Monday, I'm betting the rear R sway bar "arm" is shorter. My thoughts are the sway bar arm where the links connect to may have the hole drilled in a different area (shorter)
Scott.

In the V6L
8250RPM said:
Last night at 2am I couldn't sleep so I went out to my garage and since I had my car on the lift I had a idea. I have a GT350 track pack and I also have a set of GT350R front and rear springs as some of you know. I've been so busy at work that I haven't had any time to work on my car but soon I will because the weather is gonna get nice soon and I want to enjoy it. Anyhow while laying in bed I had a though of doing this.
The R springs are supposed to lower the car 1/2"...

I have a question - have you checked the part number tags on the original springs against the tags on the R springs? I've been wondering if they might be the same springs. The R rides 1/2" lower than the non-R, but the R tires have shorter sidewalls that drop the car by a 1/2" (305/35 vs 315/30 at the rear) so it's possible that the springs are the same. The owner's supplement says the R has stiffer springs, but the marketing material on the Ford website says that the track pack and the R both have "heavy duty front springs". The owners supplement says the rear springs are the same rates for both models, so if the heights are the same, but the fronts are actually different parts, then you might only have to change one axle.

The R spring numbers are different front and rear. Front what I know, the R sits 1" lower. 1/2" front the springs,1/2" lower front the tires.
This picture is about the best I can come up with and it looks like the R is 1" lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkd0b5057cad3405822abcc4bccc33fdd5.jpg

In the V6L
8250RPM said:
The R spring numbers are different front and rear. Front what I know, the R sits 1" lower. 1/2" front the springs,1/2" lower front the tires.
This picture is about the best I can come up with and it looks like the R is 1" lower.

You're right - the picture makes the R look a lot lower than the regular GT350.

I was told by a Ford engineer and have seen nothing to the contrary that the rear springs are the same. The part number is different but we still don't know they are different until someone measures and tests them. That will happen soon. You could be right and I hope you are but until I see proof I'm sticking with what I was told. I only measured the front ride height on both cars because I was told the rear springs were the same. The tires lower the whole car 1/2". When I measured the front it was 1" lower. I had a lengthy discussion about this subject and the engineer was one of the suspension VDE's. I later got a ride with him in an R at LS and it was obvious he had a LOT of seat time in the car.

I've seen this photo all over the internet and it's my photo. I rode in the left car and the driver is the engineer I talked to. Name withheld on purpose. ;)

IMG_6208_zps7vzkzfyn.jpg

Ok so to try and figure this out @Moto, who just got his R and has 250 miles on it, and I just measured our wheel well heights. This is not scientific and lots of variables here.

Rears:
R - 27 3/4"
TP - 28 1/4"

Fronts:
R - 27 1/2"
TP - 28"

So that's only 1/2" front and rear which is the tire height. Again this is not scientific and lots of variables here. Hopefully @bpracer and @modernbeat will have this figured out soon.

DFW, TX
Yup, maybe Tuesday night I can drop the car off, if I can get somebody there to give me ride home...

Inquiring minds want to know the answer to this!

I'm not a ford engineer but the rear springs are different and so are the part numbers. And just as I and everyone else thought, the rear sway bar links are different, they are not!!! All the GT 5.0, GT350 and GT350R front and rear sway bar end links are the same part numbers. What's different between the GT350 and GT350R is in fact the rear springs and rear sway bar. I just bought the R rear sway bar and I paid $53.00
The GT350 rear bar is part number FR3Z-5A772-E
The GT350R rear bar is part number FR3Z-5A772-G
Scott.

I spoke to Jordan today at DCS SPORT (dcssport.com) and we talked about the VDM and their up coming module for the GT350/R. As of now they are in the works and it will be awhile until they have something available for the GT350/R. So what I'm going to do for the time being is install the R front and rear springs that I have, along with the R rear sway bar and do a VDM relearn when I button everything up on my suspension. To do the relearn you need a scan tool and also need all 4 wheels off the ground in a limp load. I'll keep all of you posted as I go.

VDM is the vehicle dynamics module. All GT350/R with magnaride have them. It's located in the right rear corner of the trunk. From reading my service manual you must do a relearn when doing any suspension work or suspension upgrades. The car must also be off the ground with the wheels suspended. I will purchase the program for my scan tool to do my own relearn. I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors