The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Square Apex SM-10 11.5” setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought 4 Apex SM-10 11.5” wheels for the GT350 for the purpose of running square Hoosier R7’s 315/30x19 (which I run a lot on other wheels). Trying save $$ and get more sessions out of each set of R7’s by rotating of course. I haven’t run this setup yet, but have test fitted them in the garage with 31MM spacers up front. Looks good, like it should work.
Since then I had an engine issue that gave me more time to ponder and worry about the above setup. Will it work, will it rub, will I lose track time figuring this out, etc.
So, has anyone ran the SM-10 in 11.5” square on their GT350? My car is 99% track use.
(PS: 1st post, sorry for any violations of forum norms)

DFW, TX
I think you will need a bit more spacer. I think post 83 of the rotatable wheel thread mentions 38mm would end up with the equivalent backspacing, but he used 35mm. Very few studs allow that kind of spacer. I don't think that long ARP studs will work. R hubs would, but you look to have MSI studs. I'm not familiar with their actual threaded length.

I've mocked up a 19x11 with another half inch of spacer to see what an 11.5 looks like. It appeared you would need at least 2.5 degrees of negative camber that I was running at the time to clear the fender Your probably already running 3 degrees or more if you're running R7s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think you will need a bit more spacer. I think post 83 of the rotatable wheel thread mentions 38mm would end up with the equivalent backspacing, but he used 35mm. Very few studs allow that kind of spacer. I don't think that long ARP studs will work. R hubs would, but you look to have MSI studs. I'm not familiar with their actual threaded length.

I've mocked up a 19x11 with another half inch of spacer to see what an 11.5 looks like. It appeared you would need at least 2.5 degrees of negative camber that I was running at the time to clear the fender Your probably already running 3 degrees or more if you're running R7s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I currently run -2.7 Camber up front and 11” wheels... no problems, not even close to a problem. I’ve rolled the car around with the 11.5” /R7’s.. but haven’t driven it yet. Seems to fit... but when I’m bouncing over the curb at the WGI bus stop... who knows.

Welcome to TMO. I think they should fit but as Mark stated the studs you have might be an issue. The R stock front studs are longer but not stronger. TMO member @Black Boss runs 315 square on his stock CF wheels with the 11" up front and has had no issues.

Lot’s of variables here. Depends on what camber you run, and how you achieve it (camber plates, strut bolts, or a combination). Running 315’s on the CF 11” Wheels at 2.7-2.8* camber (90% Camber plates, 10% strut) I was tight to the fender but had in-board clearance.

On the race car I’m running nearly 4* camber on 11” wheels (70/30) Strut clearance, on coil overs, is VERY tight. Fender clearance is OK. However those are 18” R7’s that will likely be marginally narrower than 19”s

I have 18x11+52 forgelines on my car with a spacer up front.

I almost did 11.5 but there wasn’t a benefit, take offs are only available in 315s unless you get really tall 325s etc. also it adds weight.

In the V6L
It's the tire that actually matters. The width of the tire, measured from sidewall to sidewall at the widest point, only changes by about 40% of the change in rim width. That means that if you use a rim that's 0.5" wider, the tire sidewalls will widen out about 0.2" total, or 0.1" to the inside and 0.1" to the outside. If you started with 0.3" clearance to the strut or fender, you'll reduce that to 0.2".

So, if you have tires that fit with decent clearances on 11" rims, they'll have a little less clearance but they'll probably fit on 11.5" rims too.

The setup worked fine with a 31mm spacer up front on the GT350. No rubbing or issues running 315/30x19 Hoosier R7’s. I did get very light rubbing on the inner fender cover & e-brake cable when running 315/35x19” Hoosiers on the rear.

If I were doing it again (and I may be soon) I would do square 19x11.. vice 19x11.5

TMO Supporting Vendors