The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Tow Hook ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It really irks me that Ford didn't provide a proper tow hook for this car, or at least a reasonable place to put one with hacking up the car. I got burned by not having a proper tow hook on my 03 Cobra after a clutch failure and I'm not going to let it happen to this car.

So I'm going to have to build my own and share the design with everyone. Might even be able to build a few to sell. But I wanted to get some of your inputs on location.

I looked at the GT350R-C and don't quite understand why it is located where it is. It looks like Ford just used one of their swivel loops (M-17954-A) and welded it to the top of the bumper support. I think you'll scratch the paint trying to get a tow hook in there.

I was thinking of going to the lower grill instead with a bolt-on, fixed tow hook for a number of reasons:
- Remain more hidden for those cars that are still driven on the street
- Will allow a straighter pull angle for trailer winches
- Will require cutting the grill and the lower grill is probably cheaper to replace if you want to go back to stock

Do you guys have any other ideas? Any other requirements that it should meet?

Haven't even started looking into a rear hook yet. That'll be afterwards.

Re: Tow Hook ideas

Member @pufferfish, the owner of Blowfish Racing, is working on a design that is similar to his original S197 design. Hopefully he'll stop in and update us on this. He also had a nice and affordable fire extinguisher mount too.

https://www.blowfishracing.com/towing-hauling/8-2005-2014-mustang-gtv6boss-front-tow-hook-kit-with-splitter-mounts.html

2005-2014-mustang-gtv6boss-front-tow-hook-kit-with-splitter-mounts.jpg

The R-C is using a steel front bumper beam of a S550 Mustang and has it welded to the beam. That's not going to work on our aluminum bumper beams.

gt350%20tow%20hook_zpsjgdfrdqt.jpg

For the rear I'm thinking about just connecting a strap and having is secured under the car.

http://shop.racequip.com/p/tow-loop-with-soft-loop-ring

t700_94dd543fa44107553ee409854ed9be70.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

i am in process of reconfiguring the bumper beam clamp around design currently used on the s197 for use on the s550. i will be prototyping that in the next couple of weeks and test fitting it at revolution automotive on their shop car. once the elevation geometry is set and the steel beam s550 guys are taken care of, i will be revamping the original crossbar style to work with the s550 chassis, so the aluminum beam isn't taking the load. now, when product will be available may be a bit "johnny come lately" for the 2016 race season. i hope for inventory to be available for both styles by april. it is what it is. without an s550 here to work with, things slow down and tend to take a back seat often.

pufferfish said:
i am in process of reconfiguring the bumper beam clamp around design currently used on the s197 for use on the s550. i will be prototyping that in the next couple of weeks and test fitting it at revolution automotive on their shop car. once the elevation geometry is set and the steel beam s550 guys are taken care of, i will be revamping the original crossbar style to work with the s550 chassis, so the aluminum beam isn't taking the load. now, when product will be available may be a bit "johnny come lately" for the 2016 race season. i hope for inventory to be available for both styles by april. it is what it is. without an s550 here to work with, things slow down and tend to take a back seat often.

I'm sure that you've thought about this more than I have, but out of curiosity, why don't you think the aluminum beam will handle the load? Doesn't it serve the same function as the steel beam, i.e. to distribute the loads to both frame rails in a front end collision?

I found it reassuring that Ford was welding it to the middle of the beam as it is the worst location for bending the beam.

StigsBaldBrother said:
I'm sure that you've thought about this more than I have, but out of curiosity, why don't you think the aluminum beam will handle the load? Doesn't it serve the same function as the steel beam, i.e. to distribute the loads to both frame rails in a front end collision?

I found it reassuring that Ford was welding it to the middle of the beam as it is the worst location for bending the beam.
Take a close look at the photo. They're using the steel beam in the race car.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

i posed this question a while back. if the aluminum beam has the same crash-worthiness, it should be fine. the response was that a crash pushes against an arc, which is stronger. pulling against the arc is not as strong. i vowed to look at it and the old s197 design doesn't need much changed to work, so why not just do it? for those not concerned, the clamshell is lighter and more compact and should wrap around the aluminum just the same as the steel.

i still need to locate an aluminum beam to verify fitment and plan to do strength testing.

First post, first stupid question... More to come! :)
First of all really looking forward to seeing where this lands. Definitely need a solution... That rear strap, where would it connect?
Thanks!

Rustish said:
First post, first stupid question... More to come! :)
First of all really looking forward to seeing where this lands. Definitely need a solution... That rear strap, where would it connect?
Thanks!
Welcome to TMO. I have no idea where to mount the strap as I don't have my car yet. It's just an idea as the rear hook won't get used nearly as often as the front.

VooDooBOSS said:
Welcome to TMO. I have no idea where to mount the strap as I don't have my car yet. It's just an idea as the rear hook won't get used nearly as often as the front.

Thanks!

pufferfish said:
i posed this question a while back. if the aluminum beam has the same crash-worthiness, it should be fine. the response was that a crash pushes against an arc, which is stronger. pulling against the arc is not as strong. i vowed to look at it and the old s197 design doesn't need much changed to work, so why not just do it? for those not concerned, the clamshell is lighter and more compact and should wrap around the aluminum just the same as the steel.

i still need to locate an aluminum beam to verify fitment and plan to do strength testing.
Can you get me the dimensions of a steel beam? Length, width, height, thickness, approximate curvature? I was going to create a FEA model for the aluminum and I could compare it to the steel one.

pufferfish said:

I am very interested in this for a 2015 S550, hurry up. LOL

What in the hell have I done? :p

IMG_20160124_103844612_HDR_zpszdtn6kft.jpg

Just a quick update. The stress analysis of the bumper beam looks promising, just trying to finish the design details for the tow hook and some more FEA. I think I'll be able to get by with some very minor trimming of the lower grill on the bumper.

Cool, looking forward to the results. I'm a NX user as well, but use the Ansys package for FEA

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

Great pic! There is a lot of air channelling provisions in the tow hook area. i don't think i can even get a tow hook in there without destroying them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel