The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Tow Hook ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Tow Hook ideas

VoodooBOSS said:
While at the IMSA race this weekend I talked to Multimatic about what they are using for tow hooks. The two original cars built last year and currently running in IMSA use the steel bumper up front and have mounts welded to the bumper. No surprise there. They did tell me they had to shave a bit of the foam from inside the bumper cover and didn't see any reason why a steel one wouldn't fit our cars. So maybe the European bumper would work if you could get your hands on one.

The good news is they are developing a new car for a certain race team and said they used the aluminum bumper. What they did was drill out part of the middle of the bumper and inserted spools to make it stronger. They heliarc welded the spools in place and added additional supports. They thought the bumper would be plenty strong for pulling the race cars out of any sand traps. I'll see if I can get some photos.

I think boxing in the aluminum bumper on the passenger side and adding a mount below the bumper might work. This eliminates any flex or bending from mounting in the middle. I'd use a BMW style tow hook which can be easily removed and installed. This would only make a small hole in the plastic grille. Too bad the stock aluminum is so expensive otherwise I'd order one up and give it a go. From the photos it looks like there's room to do this in that location.

@StigsBaldBrother do you have an update on your progress? Yours looks promising.

@VoodooGT yours mounted very cleanly. Did you have to make any modifications to make it fit properly?
WE here at ZL1 Addons will be making a tow hook receiver for the 350 next week when the car comes in. We Have tow hooks for most all cars now and make custom receivers for any car. We will be looking into being a vendor on here. www.zl1addons.com

Re: Tow Hook ideas

Here is the tow we made for the GT350 and 550 Mustang

https://zl1addons.com/index.php/shop-for-gear/tow-hooks/mustang-front-tow-hook-and-receiver-detail

JDJ_11319.jpg

receiver%20and%20towhook.jpg

Fascia%20off7.jpg

Well, I'm a little late, but I finally finished my front tow hook as well. To say that it is over-designed might be an understatement, you can literally pick up the entire car by it.

Having been flat-towed off a track several times, there can be some very significant lateral loads when you and the tow truck driver aren't quite on the same page going around a corner. There can also be very large vertical loads when being flat towed over a steep bridge (like Sebring) or being pulled into a trailer. I've taken all of that into account into my design and analysis of the tow hook. It's made from ASTM A36 and A500 steel and is extremely stiff to prevent the tow hook from bending and contacting the bumper or grill. I've also looked at the factory bumper beam where it attaches and confirmed the mounting is well within a 2:1 safety margin that I've included in the design.

My only issue now is the Ford Racing tow hook loop that I was hoping to use is too large. Most sanctioning bodies require a 2" diameter loop and the Ford Racing one is 3". You'll see in the pictures that it contacts the lower bumper. I've already designed a new, smaller loop, but haven't had it fabricated yet. I was hoping to gauge interest from the forum members in my design before I placed my order. (I can get 10 of them water-jetted for the same price as one)

I think that I can sell the whole assembly for about $150. If you're interested or have any questions, just shoot me a PM.

IMG_20160808_212612446_zps9liyyhpk.jpg
Tow Hook with Ford Racing loop

IMG_20160810_213110621_zpsoktjekuh.jpg
Installed on the car

IMG_20160810_213146606_zpsty25598a.jpg
With tow loop removed (hardly noticeable)

IMG_20160810_212307048_zpspnyy334b.jpg
3 holes required to be drilled into bumper reinforcement

IMG_20160810_212538040_zpst3egclow.jpg
Closeup of minor grill modification (from backside)

Interested. I'm looking at the ZL1addons hooks, but have questions about their strength when a lateral load is placed on them in an on-track pull and tow situation. How hard is the install? I installed Pufferfish front and rears on my '13 Boss.

jlwdvm said:
Interested. I'm looking at the ZL1addons hooks, but have questions about their strength when a lateral load is placed on them in an on-track pull and tow situation. How hard is the install? I installed Pufferfish front and rears on my '13 Boss.

The tow hook is very easy to install. Just drill 3 holes and install 3 bolts. The hardest part is definitely removing the bumper, especially the splitter. But I'm working on instructions with pictures.

StigsBaldBrother said:
The tow hook is very easy to install. Just drill 3 holes and install 3 bolts. The hardest part is definitely removing the bumper, especially the splitter. But I'm working on instructions with pictures.

What does it weigh with the new tow hook you're having made?

StigsBaldBrother said:

Did you ever get pictures with the install. I finally got my R and my tow hook but the car is low so was hoping to find some better picks other than the simple paper that came with the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel