The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Tow Hook ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Tow Hook ideas

VoodooBOSS said:
I've mentioned it a few times already. ;)

Sorry Rick, I know I've been "beating around the bush" so to speak with my cryptic questions (stupid? ;D) around how Multimatic utilizes the tow hook. It looks as though there is not "magic bullet" to adding a tow hook to the GT350 front bumper. I think any solution that would be effective is going to take a bit of blood and treasure to accomplish.

Here's my thoughts, and keep in mind, I always have this OCD compulsion to use parts that race teams use so that my car has a direct relationship to the racing model; I know, kind of nerdy. Especially for a guy who has not open tracked a car since the early 90's. (I'll get out there this summer, I promise!! LOL)

Has anyone considered purchasing an OEM GT350 radiator enclosure for the sole purpose of using as a test bed to modify it so that it would work with a welded/steel OEM "GT" bumper beam? I know that BlackBoss thinks it would not work due to the differences between the GT and GT350 bumper, but the Multimatic cars have the GT350 front bumper cover. It will fit, it's just a question of how to modify the enclosure to make it work, no?

The other thing I have been thinking about is the fact that Watson is working on a GT350R-S (think boss 302S) and there may be an off the shelf solution coming soon. Perhaps a version of the Boss 302S tubular bumper with a modified or specific radiator enclosure designed with a tow hook in mind.

I guess the most "track-ready" Mustang ever made by Ford isn't off-track ready. I have the Blowfish front and rear hooks on my Boss and they were a piece of cake to install, look good, and minimal alteration to the bumpers.

BigTaco said:
Sorry Rick, I know I've been "beating around the bush" so to speak with my cryptic questions (stupid? ;D) around how Multimatic utilizes the tow hook. It looks as though there is not "magic bullet" to adding a tow hook to the GT350 front bumper. I think any solution that would be effective is going to take a bit of blood and treasure to accomplish.

Here's my thoughts, and keep in mind, I always have this OCD compulsion to use parts that race teams use so that my car has a direct relationship to the racing model; I know, kind of nerdy. Especially for a guy who has not open tracked a car since the early 90's. (I'll get out there this summer, I promise!! LOL)

Has anyone considered purchasing an OEM GT350 radiator enclosure for the sole purpose of using as a test bed to modify it so that it would work with a welded/steel OEM "GT" bumper beam? I know that BlackBoss thinks it would not work due to the differences between the GT and GT350 bumper, but the Multimatic cars have the GT350 front bumper cover. It will fit, it's just a question of how to modify the enclosure to make it work, no?

The other thing I have been thinking about is the fact that Watson is working on a GT350R-S (think boss 302S) and there may be an off the shelf solution coming soon. Perhaps a version of the Boss 302S tubular bumper with a modified or specific radiator enclosure designed with a tow hook in mind.

The steel S550 Bumper may well work, I'm just not sure it will be plug and play without mods -- either to package the ducting or facia. It's clear the mounting points are common to the S197 since Watson said the Ford Racing Bar fit's. It's a long shot but I wonder if the steel Bar is carry over from the S197?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

I just welded some loops to the rear end and similarly mounted them on the front. Simple yet effective and a lot easier to reach than one might think.
It's also what I use to tie it down in the trailer.

1001892_10151755395078535_2105225025_n.jpg

12377547_10153813842728535_6702252293726570632_o.jpg

Wouldn't the tow strap damage your front splitter and possibly rear bumper cover as the car gets pulled?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Not yet....as long as you're not trying to pull it from to steep an angle it's no problem.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

OK, so the 2016 GT came in this morning for test fitting a crude prototype. it fit fairly well, aside from the "horseshoe" being a bit too tightly bent to not bow out when wrapping around the beam. i ended up cutting it in half and noting the change needed.

this is what the specimin looked like:
20160411_085814_zpsjwo0ghjb.jpg

here is where the tow hook resides:

20160411_095059_zpsgv2apyxd.jpg

the elevation cant be any higher, as the grill dips down some. the good news is that since the loop is offset, it can be turned up (as shown in the pic) to raise the pin elevation. there will be a bit more cutting, but still only the replacable grill insert.

i think this plan will work for the GT350 as well. in comparing the steel beam to the pictures of the aluminum version, both include the rectangular slots. the steel versions slots don't get used, but the gt350 uses them for nut inserts to mount the "air channeler" (for lack of a better term). i believe that simply cutting the center 6" out of the beam wrap around area, the channeler can remain in tact. the bracket's profile is mostly unintrusive to the air path. i believe the aluminum beam will offer sufficient support for pulling, but i don't see any reason the steel version couldn't be swapped. frame mounts are the same and it appears the slots are also the same.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

shoot, i just reveiwed the gt350 pictures again, and the air channeler has center ribs. can't place a centered tow hook there without compromising the rigidity of that piece. can someone get me a part number on that air channeler? if i can order one to have here, i can start to look at how to adapt the design to work with it.

pufferfish said:
shoot, i just reveiwed the gt350 pictures again, and the air channeler has center ribs. can't place a centered tow hook there without compromising the rigidity of that piece. can someone get me a part number on that air channeler? if i can order one to have here, i can start to look at how to adapt the design to work with it.
It appears to be the "air dam"? I cant' tell exactly what part you're trying to find.

Air%20Dam_zps0onsxorm.jpg

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=9ImIaQ0cyrRl5pt6rHSeSQ%3d%3d&id=348007791&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Here is the GT350R version:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=%2b69VzBloBSYgJj69ygAYbA%3d%3d&id=347583299&m=2&search=true&year=2015&make=Ford&model=Mustang

And the GT350 (not sure why they are different):

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=JH57z2qAfMtRdGwVNQ15dA%3d%3d&id=346518194&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

Black Boss said:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=%2b69VzBloBSYgJj69ygAYbA%3d%3d&id=347583299&m=2&search=true&year=2015&make=Ford&model=Mustang

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=JH57z2qAfMtRdGwVNQ15dA%3d%3d&id=346518194&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang
So they can get an extra $100 out of you R guys :)

Tow Hook ideas

32614c20f26d5dea5bd7e4ecd68a546e.jpg

69b03b6f899948e27a0a8f47d6dc218d.jpg

I noticed the difference a couple of months ago if this is what you guys are wondering. The GT350 and R grille restrictor is different. The R has a slight kick up that can be noticed above the bumper stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk24675438b720bcef8ba3b4e696696cb5.jpg

8250RPM said:
32614c20f26d5dea5bd7e4ecd68a546e.jpg

69b03b6f899948e27a0a8f47d6dc218d.jpg

I noticed the difference a couple of months ago if this is what you guys are wondering. The GT350 and R grille restrictor is different. The R has a slight kick up that can be noticed above the bumper stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk24675438b720bcef8ba3b4e696696cb5.jpg
Must be tied to the aero.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

Black Boss said:

well, thanks for finding it, but that's a stupid expensive piece. anyone want to borrow me theirs?

So it looks like a rear tow hook is made for a GT, but not a front yet?

And neither for a GT350 yet ?

I have a GT so at least I can get the rear for now. Still looking for a front that looks strong.

SCGT500 said:
So it looks like a rear tow hook is made for a GT, but not a front yet?

And neither for a GT350 yet ?

I have a GT so at least I can get the rear for now. Still looking for a front that looks strong.
Watson has both a front and rear chromoly tubular bumper with tow hook for the S550. Contact Patrick Lee if interested.

TMO Supporting Vendors