The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 TPMS on track wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One thing I've noticed so far is the TPMS on the GT350 is very accurate. You get an accurate readout to the nearest PSI on each tire. This will make checking pressures after sessions automatic without manually checking each tire. I know you can't get fractional psi, but I'm not adjusting that precisely anyway. I plan to order them for my two sets of track wheels, assuming they're not terribly expensive. I looked on Levittown Ford's site but didn't see the GT350 listed. They are metal valve stems and I'm assuming the ones shown for the 5.0 GT are rubber.

0Shot%202015-12-06%20at%203.12.05%20PM_zpsl6yexgbk.png

I ran the TPMS sensors on my Boss track wheels as I was driving to and from the track. I sourced them from an ebay reseller for $45 a set for take offs. I'll see if I can swing a similar deal with the new sensors. I believe the links below are for the new sensors on our cars but I'm not sure which frequency is used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181777055169?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171748933695?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

The same metal valve stems used on the S197 should work for these.

I found a source for the metal valve stems that work with the OEM sensors. You can do a search and see if there is a retailer where you live.

Silver dill vs-925a
Black dill vs-925b
Chrome dill vs-925c

I use the silver ones on my track wheels and had them on my SVT wheels I just sold. A friend of mine just ordered the black ones for his track wheels.

Black

http://www.vampa.net/product_p/dill-vs-925b.htm

Silver

http://www.vampa.net/product_p/dill-vs-925a.htm

PDF

http://www.dillvalves.com/files/Dill_TPMS_VS-925_Valves.pdf

It's actually a different part than the one shown in the photo. Ours are metal valve stems (silver) I'll ask my dealer to look them up. Hopefully they're reasonable. Looks like the ones for a GT are around $25 each.

20151206_144931_zpsl3epmtvq.jpg

VooDooBOSS said:
Right but the sensors should be the correct ones. I'd probably just buy the aftermarket valve stems if they aren't the same ones anyway. They look the same. ;)
I'd rather have the black ones anyway. Let me know once you've ordered yours and I'll just duplicate it :)

I had terrible luck with the OEM TPMS sensors when used on track.

The heat would eventually cause them to fail and leak. This happened to me at least 4 different times. I eventually just went to metal stems.

The new ones look much better, and I like the digital feedback it gives as well.

Berol said:
I had terrible luck with the OEM TPMS sensors when used on track.

The heat would eventually cause them to fail and leak. This happened to me at least 4 different times. I eventually just went to metal stems.

The new ones look much better, and I like the digital feedback it gives as well.
The sensors or the stems? I've been using the metal stems I posted on track with the sensors with no issues. The rubber stems come with the sensors but I don't use them.

Mostly the stems.

At least once the connection between the two sheared. cloud9's photo makes the OEM design look much more robust than before.

VooDooBOSS said:
The GT350's come with metal stems and they look identical to the ones I posted.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe eBay) that the S197 stems and TPMS are only rated for 155 mph. The steel 350 valve stems are on the Autonation White Bear Lake Ford Parts catalog for about $45 each, but no TPMS....

Black Boss said:
I thought I read somewhere (maybe eBay) that the S197 stems and TPMS are only rated for 155 mph. The steel 350 valve stems are on the Autonation White Bear Lake Ford Parts catalog for about $45 each, but no TPMS....
$45 each for valve stems? :eek: I hope parts for this car don't make me feel like I bought a Porsche ;D

mattlqx

Mustangless
This is probably just a general TPMS question but...

Do you have to relearn the set of wheels each time you swap them? Is there some special device you need to do that?

mattlqx

Mustangless
VooDooBOSS said:
I don't know for the S550's but I suspect not. You did for the first generation S197 cars but not for the second generation 2010+ cars. I doubt Ford went backwards on this.

Ah I didn't know that. Thought all S197s needed a learning device. Cool!

TMO Supporting Vendors