The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Track Pack or GT350R?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok so now we know what the differences are which one would you pick? Some of the differences:

R has larger front splitter and larger rear wing for more downforce
R has wider Cup 2 tires which few will use on track
R has CF wheels and I suspect many will be stored for fear of damage. I would. ;D
R doesn't have a rear seat, AC and stereo are options
R, the biggie, is the suspension is tweaked for the track which will not be easy to replicate on the GT350
R is 130 lbs lighter, mostly wheels and the items that were deleted. Nothing specific that is lighter other than the wheels
R has red calipers and accents :p
R has no exhaust resonators

Did I miss anything?

Re: GT350 TP or GT350R?

R has an air to oil engine cooler

R has an air to oil diff cooler

I know it says larger front splitter but it doesn't look larger in the photo?

I know it's menial...but no trunk floorboard and carpet, backup camera and emergency tire sealer

I choose GT350 w/TP mainly for price, but also because I'd HAVE to have AC and a stereo...I wouldn't track it enough to warrant the extra cost...I'd be a bit ashamed having an R for a DD that didn't see a lot of track use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until price difference and relative production volumes are known, it's a hard question to answer, IMO. Of course, there is no wrong choice, is there? 8)

I can't find a good source on the track pack inclusions. I find conflicting info but mainly engine oil(air?)and trans coolers?
There is no oil filter adapter on the close up of the engine but could it still be the water cooled oil filter housing?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Base GT350 Track Pack only.

Because I would definitely not have any fun worrying about damaging a CF wheel. But if I happen to end up with an R, those wheels are coming off and getting stored like everything else I have. ::)

Moto said:
I can't find a good source on the track pack inclusions. I find conflicting info but mainly engine oil(air?)and trans coolers?
There is no oil filter adapter on the close up of the engine but could it still be the water cooled oil filter housing?
Let's hope they didn't make that mistake again. ;) I'm pretty sure the TP and R have the same coolers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

NFSBOSS said:
Let's hope they didn't make that mistake again. ;) I'm pretty sure the TP and R have the same coolers.

Yeah, lets hope. I'm sure Ford didn't think that there would be as many Bosses and GTs used on the track as there actually are. I think Ford gets it now!

availability will be a big driver of the equation for me.
I was hoping that the R would have more accommodation (than it does, and versus the standard car), out of the box, for safety equipment. So you're modding those bits anyway. I feel that the differences are very much like what we faced with the standard versus LS bosses...and I chose the base car. I still use the pass-through in the rear seats all the time for my bike...and I still occasionally carry passengers in the rear but I can see that changing with the gt350 for me. I love my boss, but I never went the extra steps that many of you have to mod it for real track use...just seemed like a big stretch for a couple years of tracking...so I've held off and can see modding the heck out of the gt350. I think the new platform will be relevant for a long time to come so I intend to jump in with both feet on the gt350. If I can get an R early, great...otherwise I'll take a gt350 as soon as they'll make one for me.

fuhrius said:
availability will be a big driver of the equation for me.
I was hoping that the R would have more accommodation (than it does, and versus the standard car), out of the box, for safety equipment. So you're modding those bits anyway. I feel that the differences are very much like what we faced with the standard versus LS bosses...and I chose the base car. I still use the pass-through in the rear seats all the time for my bike...and I still occasionally carry passengers in the rear but I can see that changing with the gt350 for me. I love my boss, but I never went the extra steps that many of you have to mod it for real track use...just seemed like a big stretch for a couple years of tracking...so I've held off and can see modding the heck out of the gt350. I think the new platform will be relevant for a long time to come so I intend to jump in with both feet on the gt350. If I can get an R early, great...otherwise I'll take a gt350 as soon as they'll make one for me.
Availability will be the driver for most. From the production numbers I'm hearing on the R, they may be like spotting a unicorn. Of course until we see something official, the jury is out. I am guessing production numbers/availability will answer this question for me more than feature/benefit.

I'll live vicariously through you guys. Im not going to be able to afford either for at least 5 to 7 years. I will not trade my BOSS for one, I'll have to add probably a base model to my coral when the time comes.

I've always said I'd never pay top dollar for any mustang, but the starting price of $53K for the regular ole GT350 really has me thinking differently. My problem is, if I pay that kind of money for a car, any car, I'd be scared to take it on the track. That's why my $5000 miata sees more track time than my $30k GT.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel