The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Track Tire Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Yes , thanks Tony, I heard similar ( around 32-34 hot ), and taking some of Blacksheep 1's thoughts this year, starting with lower pressure on sticky rubber, I will use your advice when I get a set next year.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
I have ECFs on all 4 corners...315s square. It's a bit looser/duller on turn in than the MSC2s, but as I did not heat cycle the tire, I am hoping for a bit more traction on their second use (@ COTA). I am convinced the Goodyear F1 3R will be my next tire to see if I can shave time off my PBs with MSC2. These ECFs will likely end up 1-2 secs slower (depending on track) than the MSC2s, but will likely have less fall-off after a few laps of 9-10/10ths.

I have both the ECFs and Goodyear SC3Rs.

I was initially disappointed with the ECFs, but I finally realized I was just expecting too much from them. They are not slow. Times are pretty similar to the Goodyear SC3s. And they seem to wear really well. For now I see them as an alternative to SC3s.

I have 3 sessions on a new set of SC3Rs, and I really like them so far. About 24 hours after a heat cycle session I set a new PB, besting a similarly fresh set of 350R-spec Cup2’s by about a second (set last season in very similar conditions). I haven’t found them to be quite as quick as I hope R7s would be. But we’ve already established that I have a problem with expectations!

I've been newly running 3R's and love them but corded after 3 days, about 12 sessions. s197 GT, 305/30/19, 35 psi hot.

I got some advice to try 38 psi hot (1 psi per 100 lbs weight) but then I'm seeing other people like some of the posts on here, actually running them at lower pressure.... Am I running them too high?

Does ~12 sessions seem typical for the 3R? I know they aren't enduro tires but 12-15 sessions and done seems a little ridiculous lol. They sure are fun when up to temp though, stick like glue

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SF Bay Area
My exe
I have both the ECFs and Goodyear SC3Rs.

I was initially disappointed with the ECFs, but I finally realized I was just expecting too much from them. They are not slow. Times are pretty similar to the Goodyear SC3s. And they seem to wear really well. For now I see them as an alternative to SC3s.

I have 3 sessions on a new set of SC3Rs, and I really like them so far. About 24 hours after a heat cycle session I set a new PB, besting a similarly fresh set of 350R-spec Cup2’s by about a second (set last season in very similar conditions). I haven’t found them to be quite as quick as I hope R7s would be. But we’ve already established that I have a problem with expectations!
I don't have the depth of experience as some folks do with the car and with other tires, as I've only owned by GT350 since March, but I'm a fan of the ECFs. When I first got the car, I ran 2019-spec Cup 2s for three track days this spring before I had to replace them; they likely would have lasted longer, but I didn't get my camber plates/track alignment until after the first two days. Then I switched to the OEM Super Sports for several days, and totally didn't like the feel; the lower grip level just made the car seem squirrely and I didn't really trust it to push hard.

I then switched to my current 315 square setup with the ECFs, which I've run for four track days. They are exactly what I wanted: good enough grip with great wear and heat characteristics. The grip is a huge step up from the Super Sports, they seem to wear like iron, the breakaway when losing grip is user-friendly and warned about first with some squealing, and the grip doesn't go down over the course of a 20-25 minute HPDE session. There's a good chance the tires will heat cycle out before they wear out.

Until I feel like I've progressed enough as a driver to need more tire grip, I expect to be running the Contis.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
I've been newly running 3R's and love them but corded after 3 days, about 12 sessions. s197 GT, 305/30/19, 35 psi hot.

I got some advice to try 38 psi hot (1 psi per 100 lbs weight) but then I'm seeing other people like some of the posts on here, actually running them at lower pressure.... Am I running them too high?

Does ~12 sessions seem typical for the 3R? I know they aren't enduro tires but 12-15 sessions and done seems a little ridiculous lol. They sure are fun when up to temp though, stick like glue
Blacksheep would be the one to answer this but are we able to check the tires hot enough? I don't know how much if any heat is lost during a cool down lap and the time it takes to get back to paddock area.
They don't last long. I went through my first ones after about 3 weekends. Some of the wear is track dependent, but no, they don't last anywhere as long as the regular 3 does but they are faster

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have chatted with a buddy of mine this past weekend as I knew he had run 3Rs on his ZL1 Camaro and he did say they lasted him only two weekends, but he mentioned he had been lazy and had not rotated the tires at all. He ran two different tracks where one eats the left side and the other chews on the right so he felt he did not need to rotate side to side. Chatting with others he found they really should have been rotated. From his thoughts I do believe, Stevebd, you were running way too hot at 38 lbs. He thought they probably needed to be in a heat range of 30-34 , and he was coming in around 33-34 with his. He does have -3 degrees negative camber up front ( forgot to ask about the rear ) as I mentioned to him I could only get -2.7 up front on my Mach 1.

Hope all this helps, but most of what he said is exactly what most find is necessary to get good life with Michelin Sport Cup 2s also, so rotation is key ---- another good reason why so many TMO Pavement Pilots recommend a square set up !

Have chatted with a buddy of mine this past weekend as I knew he had run 3Rs on his ZL1 Camaro and he did say they lasted him only two weekends, but he mentioned he had been lazy and had not rotated the tires at all. He ran two different tracks where one eats the left side and the other chews on the right so he felt he did not need to rotate side to side. Chatting with others he found they really should have been rotated. From his thoughts I do believe, Stevebd, you were running way too hot at 38 lbs. He thought they probably needed to be in a heat range of 30-34 , and he was coming in around 33-34 with his. He does have -3 degrees negative camber up front ( forgot to ask about the rear ) as I mentioned to him I could only get -2.7 up front on my Mach 1.

Hope all this helps, but most of what he said is exactly what most find is necessary to get good life with Michelin Sport Cup 2s also, so rotation is key ---- another good reason why so many TMO Pavement Pilots recommend a square set up !
Thanks Bill. I was running my 3R's at 35 psi hot, not 38, but did receive a potential tip from a racer I trust to try bumping them up to 38 hot. I corded one of them on the outside shoulder and the rest are almost corded. This guy's thought was that I might be rolling them over a bit too much. Plus he said 1 pound of hot psi per 100 lbs of car and driver weight is a pretty standard starting point. But you are right, that advice doesn't seem consistent with what most people running the 3R are doing, thus my question. I run 305/30/19 square on my s197 ('11 GT) and did rotate them, although the tire that got corded probably spent too much time on the wrong corner. I run ~3 degrees neg camber with maxed out Vorshlag cc plates (I need to cut the strut towers).

Sorry if I am sidetracking this thread but I think and hope this is helpful discussion for anyone considering the 3R's. Fantastic performance but suck when cold and don't last long, is my experience.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think if you are at -3 degrees negative, you are likely in a pretty good spot. It seems folks think more and more will help when it comes to negative camber, but the rest of the suspension can also play into that. Also some tires run better without a ton of negative camber. Either way, thanks for the 3R info as there are plenty of us considering since they are essentially half price through USAA compared to what one has to pay for Hoosier R7s.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Great feedback from everyone eon the 3Rs. Its the only tire that's keeping me with 19s instead of going with 18' wheels. I wish GY would be make a 315/30/18 but oh well.

When you guys say they last X number of weekends, Im assuming that is 2 days so about 8- 10 sessions (depending on event) per weekend. So if one was to do single day events then they could potentially last 6 events? If so, then that's not the worst.

Great feedback from everyone eon the 3Rs. Its the only tire that's keeping me with 19s instead of going with 18' wheels. I wish GY would be make a 315/30/18 but oh well.

When you guys say they last X number of weekends, Im assuming that is 2 days so about 8- 10 sessions (depending on event) per weekend. So if one was to do single day events then they could potentially last 6 events? If so, then that's not the worst.
Maybe close depending on length of sessions and how hard you are pushing but that's on the high end in my experience. I'd say 4 days, with 4-5 sessions per day, is a good rough estimate. Interested in others' opinions on this.

Detail: I did 4 extended 40 minute ccw sessions day 1 at Palmer (really pushing, chasing some fast friends, PB's kept dropping, super fun day), and 8 20-25 minute cw sessions days 2 and 3 at Club Motorsport (a little more chill but still pushing), and had to stop early day 3 when I corded what had started as the right front tire at Palmer. Other 3 tires would have made it through the final 2 sessions on day 3 and then probably done. I rotated front to back on day 2 but kept on same side since different tracks running opposite directions. Some user error as car had too much understeer day 1 and I was kind of needlessly chewing up the front right tire. So that's how I arrive at a rough estimate of 12-16 "sessions," which I think of typically as ~25 min hpde sessions. This seems roughly consistent with @Bill Pemberton's friend.

If you are doing TNIA style events with 3 20 minute sessions, which often are actually closer to 15 minutes, then you might get 6 events... but kind of optimistic in my experience.

Sorry to geek out on all the detail but I do this on a budget so longevity is an issue for sure. They are definitely fantastic tires when warm and in the dry though, so much fun, and fast. Good luck.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Maybe close depending on length of sessions and how hard you are pushing but that's on the high end in my experience. I'd say 4 days, with 4-5 sessions per day, is a good rough estimate. Interested in others' opinions on this.

Detail: I did 4 extended 40 minute ccw sessions day 1 at Palmer (really pushing, chasing some fast friends, PB's kept dropping, super fun day), and 8 20-25 minute cw sessions days 2 and 3 at Club Motorsport (a little more chill but still pushing), and had to stop early day 3 when I corded what had started as the right front tire at Palmer. Other 3 tires would have made it through the final 2 sessions on day 3 and then probably done. I rotated front to back on day 2 but kept on same side since different tracks running opposite directions. Some user error as car had too much understeer day 1 and I was kind of needlessly chewing up the front right tire. So that's how I arrive at a rough estimate of 12-16 "sessions," which I think of typically as ~25 min hpde sessions. This seems roughly consistent with @Bill Pemberton's friend.

If you are doing TNIA style events with 3 20 minute sessions, which often are actually closer to 15 minutes, then you might get 6 events... but kind of optimistic in my experience.

Sorry to geek out on all the detail but I do this on a budget so longevity is an issue for sure. They are definitely fantastic tires when warm and in the dry though, so much fun, and fast. Good luck.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years

Thats really good detailed information to project longevity. On day 2-3, was the pace still strong with the 3Rs before they corded? Based on that info tire life for the 3R is good.

By comparison, I run shorter sessions, and only 2-3 per day when I go out. Finally retired the front nankang crs (305/20 on this heavy car) at 17 sessions, they were 1-2 sessions away from cording. Pace was still consistent.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
Thats really good detailed information to project longevity. On day 2-3, was the pace still strong with the 3Rs before they corded? Based on that info tire life for the 3R is good.

By comparison, I run shorter sessions, and only 2-3 per day when I go out. Finally retired the front nankang crs (305/20 on this heavy car) at 17 sessions, they were 1-2 sessions away from cording. Pace was still consistent.
I've been considering the CRS for my Performance Pack '15 GT. I ran RT660 tires on my S197 and love them, but want to switch it up. Was there anything you disliked about these tires?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Nankang CR-S ( new version ) has shown to be pretty darn quick at an autocross and yet shown longer life on a road course , than some others. It appears to take longer to warm up than the Bridgerocks or Yomamas, but then it stays consistent a bit longer than the RE71RSs on a track, and definitely longer than the A052s which get greasy in a big rush on a road course.

I would say the Nankang hangs pretty much with the RT 660 , similar on both an autocross and the track.

The Goodyear 3Rs are more consistent and quick on a road course if you are not looking for that one or two laps as a super serious Time Trialer as the initial warm up is longer. Not in the top rung of autocross rubber, but not really designed for that, but on a road course a fast set of DOT race rubber and a good choice.

Remember ,as previously noted , if you are a USAA member, sign ingo to " Perks " and you can get a set of Goodyear tires at at a huge discount. This includes mounting, balancing, disposal , etc. all part of the package and it can be used for other Goodyear tires, say for your truck or even a trailer.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
The Nankang CR-S ( new version ) has shown to be pretty darn quick at an autocross and yet shown longer life on a road course , than some others. It appears to take longer to warm up than the Bridgerocks or Yomamas, but then it stays consistent a bit longer than the RE71RSs on a track, and definitely longer than the A052s which get greasy in a big rush on a road course.

I would say the Nankang hangs pretty much with the RT 660 , similar on both an autocross and the track.

The Goodyear 3Rs are more consistent and quick on a road course if you are not looking for that one or two laps as a super serious Time Trialer as the initial warm up is longer. Not in the top rung of autocross rubber, but not really designed for that, but on a road course a fast set of DOT race rubber and a good choice.

Remember ,as previously noted , if you are a USAA member, sign ingo to " Perks " and you can get a set of Goodyear tires at at a huge discount. This includes mounting, balancing, disposal , etc. all part of the package and it can be used for other Goodyear tires, say for your truck or even a trailer.
I’m currently torn between focusing on an autocross cam c build with fast super 200 like rt660 or CRS tire or focusing on moving through HPDE with something like the new Nexen NFERA Sport R or ECF.

TMO Supporting Vendors