The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Trans Scoop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelby has come out with a trans scoop for the GT350. It has a shield between the trans and cats so maybe this will work on the 2015/2016 tech pack cars. @ArizonaBOSS and I were told years ago that the scoop for the Boss 302 dropped temps 15-20 degrees. Couple that with the shielding and it might make enough of a difference to keep the dreaded limp mode away. I know @50Deep has one on order. Any other input is appreciated.

0Shot%202016-12-02%20at%206.59.36%20PM_zpsogkauwaw.png

From their website:

"Applications
2015-2017 Shelby GT350
Developed by Shelby's R&D team and track tested, the GT350 transmission air cooler is designed to not only bring cold air up directly on the vehicle's transmission, but to also isolate the transmission from the heat of the catalytic converters to improve cooling and maintain performance."

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/SHELBY-30.htm

I've seen this also on another forum a week or so ago and he claims it dropped temps driving around town. I have a track pack and have considered one on my car. I myself would probably make my own from aluminum as the Shelby one is made of steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
I have a real dilemma now.

I purchased the Shelby American transmission scoop yesterday and it is on the way. Then today I got confirmation that Ford Performance approved me to buy the OEM track pack transmission and cooler. Initial pricing for the setup is about $3200 bones, but I wont have the final figures until Monday.

Option 1: Just run the trans scoop and wait to see what Shelby American comes out with for an external cooler later.
Option 2: Go with the full bulletproof OEM setup AND the Shelby American transmission scoop. Then sell my stock transmission to offset the cost, as it will work well in a S550 without the high revving Voodoo engine, and be a good bolt in since you wouldn't need to run cooling lines to it.

My car wont be a hard core track machine in the near future, but for the times I do go out I want there to be no issues.

Thoughts?

My statement of a 15-20 degree drop was directly from Ford and they tested it in track conditions. Driving around town doesn't tell us anything. I'm curious if Shelby did any testing or just went off the assumption that it worked on the Boss so it should work on the 350. From my five track days in the 350, and taking photos of my temps coming off track, I can verify that on a track pack car the trans temps stay reasonable and that included a 99 degree day. Here's a photo from my last session on that day.

928B5BB9-9D41-4B8A-ADFE-575FA14B9C23_zpsujhyioas.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
VoodooBOSS said:
Terrance, $3,200 seems really inexpensive for the whole package. Is that something Ford is offering to all tech pack owners? If that's all in I'd do it and send the scoop back.

Yes, the package is available to all tech/base car owners. list on the transmission is 4700, and the cooler with bracket and lines is 695. Getting it lower will depend on where you purchase it from. My source was less

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
scoop came in today. I have heard a few people discussing weight and aerodynamics. The piece is sturdy, well built, and appears to only be between 8-10 lbs. Honestly you would need to be driving at a level of skill and precision way above most before you could say that this piece would be the reason you didn't hit the apex right or get that extra 10th of a second on your lap. I think most here, me included, have more to gain from better driving skills then saving the potential weight this would add.

Here are a couple of pictures

DSC_0661.jpg
DSC_0660.jpg

When Monday rolls around and I get the final cost numbers I will share with the group.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That can't hurt, but we did see from @mattlqx's experiments that removing the cats didn't really help the problem-so I'm not sure if the additional heat shielding will really make a difference--but I like the idea.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just spent two days at Willow Springs and did not hit limp mode at all. The last time out I hit limp mode on the last lap of each session. I was slower this weekend (hopefully because my tires are spent) and it was cool outside. I did get my trans temp up to 261 each session so it was close. Nevertheless, the scoop does seem to help but it isn't permanent solution.

TMO Supporting Vendors