The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

gt350 transmission and warranty problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

short story:
I track my 2018 gt350, not racing nor time event. Nothing was done to the trans (Just FP knob). I have a 5th gear grinding, took it to the dealership, and they denied my warranty for racing. 2 months later (second track event after gear grinding), the transmission overheated in 10 mins. It keeps happening for the rest of my 3 track events. Took the car to another dealer and they said Ford denied my warranty for racing. I called Ford customer service and only gave me a case number, and it won't do anything.
I'm not doing tracks until the car is fixed.
I really need some help here guys....Thanks

long story:
I was traveling to Canada in April, and I was exiting the highway, and I downshifted from 6 gear to 5th and then 4th, and I couldn't shift into the 4th gear. And I tried 3rd 2nd and 1 st gear, it won't even shift into those gears. And I realized there is a problem with my clutch or transmission. After a red light stop, everything works fine, but my 5th gear stared grinding. I do have a chat history with my friends to prove the date and what happened.

Then I took the car to a dealership. They denied my warranty for racing. And I keep telling them it's not racing and ford claims the car is cover for track use, but they won't listen. FYI, 5th gear is barley used on track, mostly 2nd and 3rd. So I don't know why the gears I use the most didn't fail, but a gear I barley used failed, and the reason from ford is racing. And the dealership told me that ford told them the car is track-ready, but it's not track warranty ready. And they also told me having my hand brakes engaged during winter can cause brake rotor to crack. But the hand brake on this car is a drum brake, so it will not touch the rotor. The reason I am mentioning this is that I had cracks on rotors and was trying to replace the rotors under warranty, I knew a lot of people had their rotors replaced under warranty. Well, it was not my mean concern. This can also prove the dealership doesn't know what they are talking about.

So I called Ford customer service, and they said I should bring the car to a different dealership, so I made an appointment for July.
Then I had a track day after I took the car back from the dealership, the transmission did not overheat. Then my next track day was in June, and my transmission started overheating. So I assumed it was caused by 5th gear grinding. And the second dealership told me it was ford denied my warranty, not the dealership.

Last edited:
What modifications do you have done to your car? I've had several major warranty repairs done to my Mustangs including two engines replaced that blew while on track and I never had an issue. Find another dealer.

What modifications do you have done to your car? I've had several major warranty repairs done to my Mustangs including two engines replaced that blew while on track and I never had an issue. Find another dealer.
nothing to the powertrain, first dealer told ford i was racing, so doesn't matter which dealer i go, ford will deny my warranty

Rick what dealer did you go to? I've heard good things about Walnut Creek..

Monaca Pa
8CF85C9E-F189-4098-8135-B012FCF91534.jpeg
Harrold Ford in Sac. Can also try Folsom Lake Ford. @50Deep may also have a recommendation. Take that wing off first. ;)

The wing has nothing to do with the transmission problem. At my dealer they said I could arrive with my track tires on... All the work on my Transmision is covered under my warranty. My car will be ready this week. I hope before I go to Bakersfield Ca on Thursday the 24th.

Now about snake v8 .... I met him at Pittsburgh International Race Complex. It was because he had the end plates on his wing that Zac (zzj) from Boston made for guys on this site.

snake v8 is only 23 yrs old and a engineering student in the Detroit area. I think the ford dealer is trying to take advantage of him because of his age and he is from China. He has never raced his car per Fords definition that would void his warranty. HPDE’s are not considered racing.

I was hoping someone like Bill Pemberton could have advised him on what to do.. Now from what I understand is a Ford engineer is going to inspect his car on the 31st.

His car and mine at the SAAC-44 east coast grand national

TMO Supporting Vendors