The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gt350 vs Z06 Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://youtu.be/lNkjLTw9Qe4

This is my buddy Russ and I. The laps are not from the same session so don't be confused when you see my car in his video. He is on a 200TW tire and I'm on the 300TW PSS. Let me know what you think and we have another video coming from Road Atlanta this weekend.

Adam

That was fun. How does your 350 compare to your Boss and the Porsche's you drove?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
You can feel the extra weight over the boss. I had a much stiffer suspension on the boss, it didn't move around as much as the 350 does but...the 350 is still more composed and faster on the same tires. There is something about this car that allows it to put the power down better, have less turn in understeer, more high speed stability, different worlds in the braking department, and handle the bumps better. The boss was pure mechanical grip, big tires and race brake pads. The boss was a great car but with the stock cooling I could never run a 30 minute session without the oil temps wanting to go for 280+ in the Boss and who knows how hot the differential and transmission were getting.

As far as the GT4 and GT3 I drove. The GT4 was an awesome car. I loved the balance and brakes, didn't love the shifter, pedal spacing was too far apart, the brake pedal was too high, and the shifter was sloppy and didn't stick far enough out of the center console. For my build the shifter was in an awkward position and the gates were too far apart. The power was anticlimactic for a $110,000 dollar car.

I enjoyed the GT3 more than the GT4. Trail braking the GT3 was so rewarding, and the only way to drive it unless you wanted turn in understeer. You have to steer that car with the brakes. The PDK was awesome but also kind of a let down. The shifts weren't consistent, some were really smooth, other times they were violent, and if you ever missed a shift and hit the rev limiter, watch out because it throws the car off and makes the shift really hard. The cars we drive were basically brand new with a few hundred miles but they were hard miles, maybe that was the reason for the incinsistency in the shifts. When the shifts were right though they were amazing. The best thing I did was playing with launch control with all the nannies off. I left two solid burnout marks of PS2s for about 75-100 yards and lots of smoke. The launch control in that car is insane!!! The GT3 is about the same speed acceleration wise as the GT350.

We will be posting a video about our experience with the cars shortly. Enjoy

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Acceleration in the GT3 is about equal to the 350. The RS was slightly faster at road Atlanta than the 350. I also got some track time behind a 350R and that was also slightly faster than the standard 350, due to the reduction in rotating mass and the smaller diameter wheels. I had a blast at road Atlanta and managed a 1:40 as my fastest lap. We are going to do another video against the Z06 at road Atlanta, again there was a 3 second difference in peak lap times.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I was hitting 151mph on the back straight vs about 145mph in the Boss. As a comparison I rode in a viper ACR extreme aero Package and he was barely hitting 140mph because of the aero. As far as lap times the gt350 is about 3 seconds a lap faster than the Boss when both cars are on street tires. The way this car handles the bumps and stops is really good.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
As I drive this car more I take back what I said about the Boss having stiffer suspension. The GT350 feels like it has a higher spring rate than the Boss did on Sportline Springs and the way it absorbs and dampens the car over bumps is really good. Next track event I'm going to play with the damper settings to see if a softer setting would be faster for lap times around a bumpy track like road atlanta.

TMO Supporting Vendors