The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 won’t start after track and Split Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Hi all! Just wrapped up a great day at Auto Club Speedway, and in the garage two things occurred/noticed. One, After packing up for the day, the car wouldn’t start. This was after a very hot day. It wasn’t the battery because the electric would turn on (radio on, etc.) but the motor wouldn’t crank. After hunting around it seemed the culprit was a loose connector going into the starter (I think), and there seemed to be a connector which looked loose going into the alternator. It was on the right hand side of the engine, in the space almost directly under the back bottom of the airbox. After letting the engine cool and pushing the connector in a little, the car turned over but it was stumbled slightly before finally cranking over. Anyone had experience with this?

Second, has anyone split their R front splitter horizontally? Thinking about OEM replacements is not fun.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Hi all! Just wrapped up a great day at Auto Club Speedway, and in the garage two things occurred/noticed. One, After packing up for the day, the car wouldn’t start. This was after a very hot day. It wasn’t the battery because the electric would turn on (radio on, etc.) but the motor wouldn’t crank. After hunting around it seemed the culprit was a loose connector going into the starter (I think), and there seemed to be a connector which looked loose going into the alternator. It was on the right hand side of the engine, in the space almost directly under the back bottom of the airbox. After letting the engine cool and pushing the connector in a little, the car turned over but it was stumbled slightly before finally cranking over. Anyone had experience with this?

Second, has anyone split their R front splitter horizontally? Thinking about OEM replacements is not fun.

I’ve had mine be slow to fire when I’ve tried to restart it without much cool down after a session. Was it not turning over? Or slow to fire? Had it had time to cool off with hood open etc?

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I’ve had mine be slow to fire when I’ve tried to restart it without much cool down after a session. Was it not turning over? Or slow to fire? Had it had time to cool off with hood open etc?
l had a little time to cool with the hood open. Wouldn’t turn over, then after it cooled a little a weak start but fired, and after that no issues so far. Starter solenoid seems to be the culprit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Sounds smart. I’d love to know more about the heat shield.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel