The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350R Big Brake Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fayetteville, AR
Hey I wondering if anyone on here has had experience unpgrading their S550 mustang with the GT350R big brake package? I am planning on upgrading my S550 with the GT350R big brake and also ford performance track pack. I know there is enough change that will have to get new wheels most likely, but ford performance does not have enough data to make a suggestion and I have not yet found (maybe not deep enough search) any place that has suggestions other than under 35mm offset on wheel 19” or 20”. Ford Performance suspects with out performance package there will be rubbing using GT350R wheels so hoping someone has done this conversion in past and knows all the potential rubbing issue and size requirements for new wheel/tire packages that would go with this modification. Also any suggestions are welcome as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
To answer your question Apex Race parts has +26 offset front wheels which I have as my steer set up.
Now out of curiosity, why switch to the R set up? The PP brembos are more than enough and lighter. And you can fit 18” wheels. If it’s the red color you want then get the Bullit calipers

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fayetteville, AR
To answer your question Apex Race parts has +26 offset front wheels which I have as my steer set up.
Now out of curiosity, why switch to the R set up? The PP brembos are more than enough and lighter. And you can fit 18” wheels. If it’s the red color you want then get the
Now out of curiosity, why switch to the R set up? The PP brembos are more than enough and lighter. And you can fit 18” wheels. If it’s the red color you want then get the Bullit calipers

Well because I do not have the performance pack as I was told. Can you purchase the performance pack? I have only see the track pack. I figured if replacing the brakes might as go biggest and best and also cheaper that most other aftermarket’s.

Caliper color is ast worry. I actually have ordered the black version which is cheaper.

Do you have PP and track pack? Or just PP?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Well because I do not have the performance pack as I was told. Can you purchase the performance pack? I have only see the track pack. I figured if replacing the brakes might as go biggest and best and also cheaper that most other aftermarket’s.

Caliper color is ast worry. I actually have ordered the black version which is cheaper.

Do you have PP and track pack? Or just PP?
What do you mean by Track Pack? Are you talking about Track Pack suspension ?

you can tell if you have the performance pack by looking at your brakes. If they are say brembo then yes you do and that is more than enough. If notthen you can buy calipers, rotors, pads, and dust shields for around 7-800 which is much much less than 3k for the R set up.
I mentioned if it was for looks because a lot of people hate the rear calipers on the mustangs so the get the GT350 set up for better looking rear calipers.
But now that I think about it and someone can correct me there was also the 50th anniversary brembos which were black with white lettering. Is that what you have ?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fayetteville, AR
Oh I know I do not have PP they are just the GT premium ford OE non brembo brakes. Why I am doing the upgrade. Have to spend more than 3k for big brake kit anwyays.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Oh I know I do not have PP they are just the GT premium ford OE non brembo brakes. Why I am doing the upgrade. Have to spend more than 3k for big brake kit anwyays.
I see. I don’t know if you’ll be chasing lap times but you’ll be fine getting PP calipers from someone for around $600. And much less weight too. Just my thoughts

Go big brakes or go home!!

In all seriousness, maybe talk to Full Tilt Boogie about the brake and wheel fitment. Looks like they have plenty of experience with this S550 to GT350 brake upgrade and some wheels to fit.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fayetteville, AR
I see. I don’t know if you’ll be chasing lap times but you’ll be fine getting PP calipers from someone for around $600. And much less weight too. Just my thoughts
How much less weight?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh I know I do not have PP they are just the GT premium ford OE non brembo brakes. Why I am doing the upgrade. Have to spend more than 3k for big brake kit anwyays
Probably better off getting the PP brembo kit with some nice 2pc rotors and race pads for less then 2 grand. Great pad selection and they really do stop the car. Spend the rest on something nice for the wife (significant other or what have you).. or better yet, TIRES!

This is a funny thread. OP asks about wheel help with the GT350 brake kit and everyone tells him advice not related to that choice . . .

That is because the GT350 brakes are expensive and bring wheel and tire fitment issues into play - especially for a track car. Would you rather have good advice, or simply advice that agrees with you?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
This is a funny thread. OP asks about wheel help with the GT350 brake kit and everyone tells him advice not related to that choice . . .
Eh to be fair I did answer their question that +26 front wheels will fit and proceeded to ask why they considered that set up. Based on their response, advise from other followed

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fayetteville, AR
The OP question was partially answered. I was hoping to get info from someone who actually did this conversion to see what their experience was on it. I am always open for constructive suggestions. There are merits to not going GT350R big, but also like the idea to be able to out brake everyone else. I am probably going to revaluate it just because 1) parts are on back order anyways running short on time before track day in July and 2) sensing that my wheel/tire choice and potential rubbing issues may be a more complicated issue that really want to tackle.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fayetteville, AR
Well I changed my order to the Bullit brake package. Should have less challenges with supply chain and wheel selection.

Well I changed my order to the Bullit brake package. Should have less challenges with supply chain and wheel selection.
Definitely will make life easier with more 'off the shelf' options for wheels, rotors, etc. But . . . the 350 brakes are so badass - cost, fitment, and replacement costs be damned!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel