The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350R brakes extremely touchy, any solutions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, the brakes on my GT350R are extremely touchy on track and off. I’ve tried a few pads, Stock DS2500, R12/R10, R10/R8. Gonna try ST43 soon, but was wondering if there were any aftermarket solutions for the brake booster and master cylinder? I’ve used AP Racing brakes on previous cars before, but I’d rather not go that route if there is a quick fix to my issue. Thanks.

Bay Area
I think it’s the nature of the car. I actually found mine to be extremely “touchy“ with stock pads and rotors. I switched to Giro disc on the front with GLoc R12 on the front, on the rear I have stock rotors and R10 and I don’t think they are as “touchy “. My street set up is stock rotors and GS-1‘s and I don’t think they are as “touchy” as the stock pads. And bonus is less brake dust.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Mine are touchy as well...I think that's normal function for these brakes. I have tried ST43's on the street while driving to the track. In my experience the ST43's with non-drilled rotors dulled the touchiness down some but, are a chattery pad until heated up...on track they heat up pretty quick and don't chatter but, definitely noticeable on the 3 hour drive to and from VIR. Some others have had this experience and some haven't.

I don't think the non-drilled rotors had anything to do with it....I only mention due to swapping pads with rotors on track weekends. My first track weekend I cleaned the cross drilled rotors and installed the 43 pads, they were so chattery I immediately pulled everything apart and reinspected. All was fine but, I decided to go with the factory pad just in case there was something I wasn't seeing. My next track weekend I paired the 43 pad with the new rotors and added heat shield plates, it quieted things down...could have been a combination of the three???

I think it’s the nature of the car. I actually found mine to be extremely “touchy“ with stock pads and rotors. I switched to Giro disc on the front with GLoc R12 on the front, on the rear I have stock rotors and R10 and I don’t think they are as “touchy “. My street set up is stock rotors and GS-1‘s and I don’t think they are as “touchy” as the stock pads. And bonus is less brake dust.

so im thinking to do girodisc and st-43’s on track (stock rear) and stock rotors gs-1’s on street. Do you pad slap street pads..... or scuff them with brillo pad or something. Havent been a ford tech for 10yrs lol so hush up......i was always told to cut rotors but i know nothing about performance stuff

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Do you pad slap street pads..... or scuff them with brillo pad or something.

You don't scuff the pads, you scuff the rotors (or have different rotors for each brand of pad)

You must bed the pads using successive decelerations/stops from various speeds.

If you will use GLOC GS-1 pads for the street, you can use their R10-R16 series of track pads without needing to scuff the rotors since their pad compounds are compatible with each other.

Bay Area
so im thinking to do girodisc and st-43’s on track (stock rear) and stock rotors gs-1’s on street. Do you pad slap street pads..... or scuff them with brillo pad or something. Havent been a ford tech for 10yrs lol so hush up......i was always told to cut rotors but i know nothing about performance stuff

i was told by Danny the owner of GLoc that if I ran the R12/10 on the same rotors that I ran the GS1 on for street and track duty I wouldn’t have to do anything since the pads are compatible. But if I was running another brand for street duty I would have to scuff the rotors. So, for the rear rotors since I run the stock set I just swap pads and am done with it.
As for the ST43s and GS1 on your rear set up I’d think you might want to scuff the rotors. But you could also check with the manufactures and see what they say.

Man, I wish the Ford engineers would have thought out the e-brake on the rear so those could be swapped quickly.

In the V6L
Hey guys, the brakes on my GT350R are extremely touchy on track and off. I’ve tried a few pads, Stock DS2500, R12/R10, R10/R8. Gonna try ST43 soon, but was wondering if there were any aftermarket solutions for the brake booster and master cylinder? I’ve used AP Racing brakes on previous cars before, but I’d rather not go that route if there is a quick fix to my issue. Thanks.
"Touchy" is not a term normally associated with brakes, so what do you mean by it? Please describe the symptoms of this problem.

i was told by Danny the owner of GLoc that if I ran the R12/10 on the same rotors that I ran the GS1 on for street and track duty I wouldn’t have to do anything since the pads are compatible. But if I was running another brand for street duty I would have to scuff the rotors. So, for the rear rotors since I run the stock set I just swap pads and am done with it.
As for the ST43s and GS1 on your rear set up I’d think you might want to scuff the rotors. But you could also check with the manufactures and see what they say.

Man, I wish the Ford engineers would have thought out the e-brake on the rear so those could be swapped quickly.

i think i’ll get separate rotors for front and st43’s

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get the G-Loc pads pre-bedded. I ran R18s on the front and R10s on the rears and I never felt the brakes were " touchy;" though I think maybe the word " sensitive " is what you are describing? Of course, I am super aggressive with braking so I liked the R18s and I did not change pads or rotors, but then I also did not drive it on the street alot.

Good luck !

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful replies, already have the caliper bolts, running blank rotors from factory. Will give the ST43 a shot. And by touchy I meant sensitive and hard to modulate on track at the limit. I’m fine with brake dust and squeak, just want a easy to modulate brake pedal.

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful replies, already have the caliper bolts, running blank rotors from factory. Will give the ST43 a shot. And by touchy I meant sensitive and hard to modulate on track at the limit. I’m fine with brake dust and squeak, just want a easy to modulate brake pedal.

the first time i really hit the brakes on my gt350.....if i had dentures (im 35) they would have flown into the windshield.

TMO Supporting Vendors