The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350R Engine #3 and the problems continue!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Crap,only two words used, yet I can read between the lines of this note from my Brighton Blue Boss Buddy. Frankly, two words, yet this is one of the funniest things you have said in months!!!!! I bow to you, oh Wordsmith of the Rockies.

Can't ramble anymore , still laughing!

Last edited:

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
I used to visit other Mustang forums just to see what I might be missing. I stopped that a couple of years ago. Our FB page has enough drama for me. :eek:
Totally..there's a reason I only posted in this forum about my experience. Opinions on the other site are like you know what.... everybody has one! (and any suggestions offer nothing in the way of solutions). Kudos to keeping this site very well run and informative!

Totally..there's a reason I only posted in this forum about my experience. Opinions on the other site are like you know what.... everybody has one! (and any suggestions offer nothing in the way of solutions). Kudos to keeping this site very well run and informative!
Thanks! We do our best but it's the members that keep it running smoothly and have all of the valuable info.

Ive always loved GT350's, the trans am esque look, the high revving ripping na motor with FPC sound, and much improved interior and demeanor over S197's. But i continue to arrive at the conclusion i need to stick with my Boss until some of the 350's woes can be better supported or dismissed over time and miles. I certainly couldnt afford to buy a 350 and replace an engine out of warranty. So thats that.

Ive always loved GT350's, the trans am esque look, the high revving ripping na motor with FPC sound, and much improved interior and demeanor over S197's. But i continue to arrive at the conclusion i need to stick with my Boss until some of the 350's woes can be better supported or dismissed over time and miles. I certainly couldnt afford to buy a 350 and replace an engine out of warranty. So thats that.

I understand that. As a GT350 owner I love the feel of the car on track and the sound of that screaming motor. I’m at 26k miles without issue so far. She is my warmer weather daily driver and track car. I run good oil (amsoil). I also don’t let her over rev. I shift typically 7500-8000 max on track. On the street it’s typically less for normal driving. No need to wring it’s neck every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30% of the engines would be outrageous.

If I remember correctly, the Ford/Navistar debacle with the 6.0 stated 20% of those engines had issues and that's regarded as one of the most problematic engines that I can remember.

Also, these cars are bad ass. Sorry to hear about your car OP. Hopefully it's some stupid sensor.

While I absolutely love the GT350R, I’m pretty much at my wit’s end with this engine and the poor diagnosis being done by Ford. I’m not sure they (Ford Performance) know how to diagnose and properly repair the engine problems, which is really scary.

Had 1st engine replaced after the first time on the track. No symptoms other than lost oil pressure, coolant temp too high and kaboom! There were no oil leaks and there was enough oil. Engine replaced under warranty.

18 months later, start experiencing some throttle hesitation at part throttle on the street, car won’t hold cruise control, and get misfire code. Take to dealer, they reset the code, test and nothing appears for about 6 months.

Take car to the track, one of the coolant hoses comes undone due to improperly torqued clamp, shut off the car immediately, get towed to the dealer, they did a compression test and engine was ok.

6 months later, get multiple instances of throttle hesitation, won’t hold cruise control, misfire code. I take to dealer and per service bulletin, they replace the driveshaft sensor (which can come loose apparently).

2 months later, same issue, instances of throttle hesitation at partial throttle, won’t hold cruise control, get engine misfire code take car back to the dealer. They perform compression test and cylinder rings on 3 and 8 are bad. Engine #2 get replaced under warranty.

Drive approximately 100 miles on the 3rd engine, get instances of throttle hesitation at partial throttle (4k rpm), with engine “bucking", won’t hold cruise control, and get engine misfire code. This is while babying the car at break in!

Never have I experienced anything like this before in owning other high-strung performance cars that I track and this situation is getting extremely frustrating. The number of hours spent on this, back and forth with dealer, plus uber rides, test drives etc is no longer making this ownership experience fun for what is supposed to be my non-daily fun/track car. What is Ford missing when doing these engine replacements and making suggestions (albeit poor ones) to the dealers? The only things I can think of are replacing throttle body, the ECU, or maybe the manifold (the Charge Motion control valves). Any advice (online or PM) is appreciated. Thx.
While I absolutely love the GT350R, I’m pretty much at my wit’s end with this engine and the poor diagnosis being done by Ford. I’m not sure they (Ford Performance) know how to diagnose and properly repair the engine problems, which is really scary.

Had 1st engine replaced after the first time on the track. No symptoms other than lost oil pressure, coolant temp too high and kaboom! There were no oil leaks and there was enough oil. Engine replaced under warranty.

18 months later, start experiencing some throttle hesitation at part throttle on the street, car won’t hold cruise control, and get misfire code. Take to dealer, they reset the code, test and nothing appears for about 6 months.

Take car to the track, one of the coolant hoses comes undone due to improperly torqued clamp, shut off the car immediately, get towed to the dealer, they did a compression test and engine was ok.

6 months later, get multiple instances of throttle hesitation, won’t hold cruise control, misfire code. I take to dealer and per service bulletin, they replace the driveshaft sensor (which can come loose apparently).

2 months later, same issue, instances of throttle hesitation at partial throttle, won’t hold cruise control, get engine misfire code take car back to the dealer. They perform compression test and cylinder rings on 3 and 8 are bad. Engine #2 get replaced under warranty.

Drive approximately 100 miles on the 3rd engine, get instances of throttle hesitation at partial throttle (4k rpm), with engine “bucking", won’t hold cruise control, and get engine misfire code. This is while babying the car at break in!

Never have I experienced anything like this before in owning other high-strung performance cars that I track and this situation is getting extremely frustrating. The number of hours spent on this, back and forth with dealer, plus uber rides, test drives etc is no longer making this ownership experience fun for what is supposed to be my non-daily fun/track car. What is Ford missing when doing these engine replacements and making suggestions (albeit poor ones) to the dealers? The only things I can think of are replacing throttle body, the ECU, or maybe the manifold (the Charge Motion control valves). Any advice (online or PM) is appreciated. Thx.

Surging, hesitating, won't engage cruise control--Sounds like my 2016 GT350 TP last year...
First 2 1/2 years trouble free: 20 track days, no oil consumption issues, punished hard.

6/2018-12/2018 Bucking, surging engine not listening to my right foot at 2900-3100RPM, felt especially @ approx 30 mph in second gear, or 3rd gear same RPMs..Nearly six month nightmare of "trial and error" by two Ford dealers included new driveshaft position sensor, 8 new plugs, 8 new platinum tipped coils from mother Ford in Detroit, new TPS/Throttle body, new wiring harness sensor, etc, etc. Finally some sensor (forgot the name, which didn't appear on official service record ) got replaced after a regional Ford service engineer came to my town to drive the car- this worked.

Lemon Law attorney, Ford is buying back my car...Discouraged? I guess not..Getting a new 2018 GT350, but I will miss Avalanche Grey color.

At least Ford is doing the engine swaps without hassling the owner. I have 2 friends w/ late model Dodge Vipers who have experienced challenges getting Dodge to honor warranty for motor failures. Motors were replaced eventually, but only after executive escalations.

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
Update: Ford gave me the option of a new 2019 R or all my money back and I took the latter. Even as I turned the car in, there were still some unresolved throttle hesitation issues.

Agree with what many have said on here, kudos to Ford for standing behind its product through the no-questions-asked 2 engine replacements and the relatively no hassle buyback. While the whole ordeal was difficult, Ford did the right thing and I can't really complain about their actions.

Will say though that my last track day on the 3rd engine was a blast; don't know if they updated the engines in 2019, but it definitely felt stronger than the first two as I was running some blistering laps. Definitely will miss the good parts of the Voodoo and the car. It is something special!

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
Thanks Rick... Porsche GT3!

Thanks again for running such an awesome site and the FB sister site. Despite my problems, I got bitten by the Snake and will keep lurking for a while as I really want Ford to succeed! Enjoy in good health everyone!

(NB will have a part out soon including a custom TC Design Roll/Harness Bar).

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors