GT350R PSC2 typical tire wear on outside?

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by FogCitySF, Jun 16, 2017.

1. FogCitySF

FogCitySF 2017 GT350R

Heading out for track day over next couple of weeks and notice that the smaller most outer groove of the PSC2s has maybe 1.5/32s left, while the two large inner grooves have 5/32 left. When the car was new I wasn't paying attention to see if that outer groove was more shallow to begin with vs the two inner grooves. Is that outer groove of the 3 supposed to be more shallow than the two inner ones? Thx.

2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Yes the outer portion basically becomes a slick.

Eritas and FogCitySF like this.
  3. C7 B8

C7 B8 TMO Advanced

Yes outer grooves almost disappeared on my Cup2s from two track days. And I don't consider myself hard on tires. I'd suggest setting front camber to -2.5.

FogCitySF likes this.
  4. Etchhead

Etchhead TMO Intermediate

What Ian the max neg camber you can get with the MM CC plates?

5. VoodooBoss

I'm running -1.8 but I believe you can get close to -2.5. The outer part of the tire is supposed to wear into a slick so that's normal.

6. Track Pony

Track Pony TMO Intermediate

Any rough idea on the life of the Cup2's with -2.5 degress of camber? Track driven only and rotated after each track day.

7. mnmike59

mnmike59 TMO Advanced

FogCitySF and Track Pony like this.
  8. Track Pony

Track Pony TMO Intermediate

9. VoodooBoss

I ran 24 heat cycles on my first set but they were done after 20 and possibly sooner than that. They had rubber left on them but their grip dropped off noticeably I'm shooting for 20 on my new set which will be four track days plus driving to and from the track. Another option is the Pirelli Trefeo R in 305/30/19 or 325/30/19.

10. Etchhead

Etchhead TMO Intermediate

I just ordered MP4S for my NFS wheels doing street duty and will leave Carbon/Cup2s for track. I'm up in Portland and it gets a bit wet and knownthw 4S will treat me well.

Looking forward to LS in Aug with CFRA.net- so far my 420 break-in Miles have been incredible and these Cup2s are rediculous!

VoodooBoss likes this.
  11. FogCitySF

FogCitySF 2017 GT350R

once the outer portion becomes a slick, approximately how many track days do you think would be doable if the inner grooves have 2/32+ left? thx

12. CSL

CSL TMO Advanced

With only 2-4/32s left on inner grooves you have about one more day. I just went to the track yesterday with about 4/32s on front and now they're pretty much done.

I am getting 2+ times the life from the rears. I will get a couple seasons out of the rears; whereas I am getting about 5 track days out of the fronts. At -2 camber I am getting pretty even wear. I may dial in a little more camber for next season.

FogCitySF likes this.
  13. VoodooBoss

On my first set I ran them 25 heat cycles (25 20-30 min sessions) and they heat cycled out but still had rubber left on them. I'm not the most aggressive driver and most of those laps were at Thunderhill which is not hard on tires. I'm only planning on running mine 20 heat cycles with my new set. I'm on 305 square and rotated them after each track day and have MM CC plates set at -1.8.

14. FogCitySF

FogCitySF 2017 GT350R

Thanks, my rears are actually wearing out more on the outer grooves, but inner groves is the same as front 3-4/32nd. Granted running camber -2.0 front and -1.2 rear; what is your rear camber setting?

15. VoodooBoss

-1.25, factory R track specs. Are you rotating your tires?

16. FogCitySF

FogCitySF 2017 GT350R

Running the stock R wheels not a square setup...either side has the same wear pattern/depth so haven't swapped sides.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  17. CSL

CSL TMO Advanced

Same rear camber for me as Rick. I don't rotate as I find I'm getting quite a bit more life from the rears as is. i cross rotate each track day. I still have great grip on the rears. I do about six events per year running 5 to 7 20 minute sessions, so there's the math. I like the bit of extra sidewall in the rear and prefer to run offset specific wheels.

If I was going through rears nearly as quickly as fronts I would rotate, but this system is working out for me thus far.

FogCitySF likes this.