The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350R PSC2 typical tire wear on outside?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
Heading out for track day over next couple of weeks and notice that the smaller most outer groove of the PSC2s has maybe 1.5/32s left, while the two large inner grooves have 5/32 left. When the car was new I wasn't paying attention to see if that outer groove was more shallow to begin with vs the two inner grooves. Is that outer groove of the 3 supposed to be more shallow than the two inner ones? Thx.

Yes the outer portion basically becomes a slick.

Yes outer grooves almost disappeared on my Cup2s from two track days. And I don't consider myself hard on tires. I'd suggest setting front camber to -2.5.

I just ordered MP4S for my NFS wheels doing street duty and will leave Carbon/Cup2s for track. I'm up in Portland and it gets a bit wet and knownthw 4S will treat me well.

Looking forward to LS in Aug with CFRA.net- so far my 420 break-in Miles have been incredible and these Cup2s are rediculous!

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
once the outer portion becomes a slick, approximately how many track days do you think would be doable if the inner grooves have 2/32+ left? thx

I'm running -1.8 but I believe you can get close to -2.5. The outer part of the tire is supposed to wear into a slick so that's normal.

With only 2-4/32s left on inner grooves you have about one more day. I just went to the track yesterday with about 4/32s on front and now they're pretty much done.

I am getting 2+ times the life from the rears. I will get a couple seasons out of the rears; whereas I am getting about 5 track days out of the fronts. At -2 camber I am getting pretty even wear. I may dial in a little more camber for next season.

On my first set I ran them 25 heat cycles (25 20-30 min sessions) and they heat cycled out but still had rubber left on them. I'm not the most aggressive driver and most of those laps were at Thunderhill which is not hard on tires. I'm only planning on running mine 20 heat cycles with my new set. I'm on 305 square and rotated them after each track day and have MM CC plates set at -1.8.

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
Thanks, my rears are actually wearing out more on the outer grooves, but inner groves is the same as front 3-4/32nd. Granted running camber -2.0 front and -1.2 rear; what is your rear camber setting?

With only 2-4/32s left on inner grooves you have about one more day. I just went to the track yesterday with about 4/32s on front and now they're pretty much done.

I am getting 2+ times the life from the rears. I will get a couple seasons out of the rears; whereas I am getting about 5 track days out of the fronts. At -2 camber I am getting pretty even wear. I may dial in a little more camber for next season.

Same rear camber for me as Rick. I don't rotate as I find I'm getting quite a bit more life from the rears as is. i cross rotate each track day. I still have great grip on the rears. I do about six events per year running 5 to 7 20 minute sessions, so there's the math. I like the bit of extra sidewall in the rear and prefer to run offset specific wheels.

If I was going through rears nearly as quickly as fronts I would rotate, but this system is working out for me thus far.

TMO Supporting Vendors