The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have decided to rebuild my GT350R as a Race Car. Intent is to participate in TT2/ST2 eventually. I'll use this thread to document the build -- should be a real fun project, although it will take some time. I'm hoping to have it complete by around mid next year.

The plan is to have a BIW caged by Watson and then sent to the paint shop. From that point I hope to complete the build myself, moving over salvage parts and replacing those that cannot be fixed.

Here's a summary of progress this week:

Base BIW with IP support and Front bar installed, doors not yet zipped:

IMG_6451.JPG

Main Hoop and Rear Bars installed:

IMG_6452.JPG

Door Bars installed and Door inner panels zipped:

IMG_3257.JPG

The good news is the Body in White has no sealer to be removed. Shot from Front:

IMG_3260.JPG

I've ordered the GT350 unique front end panels (fenders and hood), hopefully they'll arrive next week. Meanwhile I've started removing the good parts from Wally -- more on that soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6452 copy.jpeg
    IMG_6452 copy.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3256.JPG
    IMG_3256.JPG
    597.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_3258.JPG
    IMG_3258.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3259.JPG
    IMG_3259.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
ArizonaBOSS said:
Outstanding.

Do you have to "know someone" or have a 350 VIN to get your hands on those body panels?

No, those parts are freely available, however you also need the 350 unique (composite) radiator grille opening that completes lowering the front end -- these will be some of the most spendy parts...

This will be fun to follow. Good luck with your build and future racing career.

Grant 302 said:
That's gotta be like 50 lbs. savings right there! Are you having it seam welded too?

Yea, lot's of time saved too. Thought about seam welding, but it's pretty labor intensive and the car's going to be pretty stiff with the cage...

Updated: Changed my mind. Hopefully I'll only build one race car, so it's getting seam welded.

Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Black Boss:

Wow! This is going to be an epic build.

When do you expect to receive the new body shell from paint?

2HP

so if I understand this correctly. You have a new GT350 body from ford and you are going to build a track only race car using parts that are salvageable from Wally. And what parts that are damaged will be purchased to complete the build of your Race car.
This will be a very interesting build / thread to follow.
If you don't mind me asking this question... will you paint the car a Ford color or go to a 1 off color. I know if it was me I would have it sprayed a color that's personal to me.
Good luck with your build and cant wait to see this GT350 grow up into a Bad A$$ Race car. Subscribed!!

superhero said:
so if I understand this correctly. You have a new GT350 body from ford and you are going to build a track only race car using parts that are salvageable from Wally. And what parts that are damaged will be purchased to complete the build of your Race car.
This will be a very interesting build / thread to follow.
If you don't mind me asking this question... will you paint the car a Ford color or go to a 1 off color. I know if it was me I would have it sprayed a color that's personal to me.
Good luck with your build and cant wait to see this GT350 grow up into a Bad A$$ Race car. Subscribed!!

Yes, This is the plan. Parts to be purchased include most of the RHS Suspension/Axles/Hubs/Brakes, plus the Steering Rack, Floor Body Harness, Several harness pigtails, Dynamic Control Module, Radiator, Sway Bars, Cold End Exhaust, Lights, Facias, Splitter, Under tray, Diffuser, Trans Oil Cooler and pipes along with the Body. Plus I'll swap out anything that improves handling or reduces weight/increases power. I'm sure they'll be some other suprises along the way too ???

In terms of color the original plan was Black exterior (carry over from Wally, with a Red interior). But consulting with my Son, we going for something more unique -- still tbd, but need to decide soon -- timing for paint will be dictated by GT350 Fender availability -- due back in stock sometime in the next week.

Made some progress on taking the good parts off Wally. I had already removed the Roll Bar and the inner side panels for use on the new road car and took the center console out to aid with Roll Bar removal.

For the Race Car build, I started with the doors, as these need to be removed to get the IP out. Removed the inner panels and glass:

IMG_3276.JPG

Retrieved both sets of latch and handle mechanisms for re-use -- the Trim panels will likely get parted out -- unique Red stitching!

IMG_3303.JPG

Removed the Light Switch, Trunk release, Drawer and Driver side Knee Airbag from the IP:

IMG_3278.JPG

And then removed the Knee Airbag from the IP trim panel:

IMG_3280.JPG

Will re-use the trim:

IMG_3281.JPG

Moved to the Passenger side and removed the Glove Box and Upper IP panel:

IMG_3277.JPG

Next moved onto the Center Stack removal:

IMG_3285.jpg

The rest of the IP will come out as a single unit, but will likely pull the Engine/Transmission before I do that.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You have a honey of a car to work on and a honey do list ---- we feel your pain, ha,ha.

Thanks for posting the build , so we in the frigid part of Amerika can have some vicarious fun over the Winter. Get it done so you can bring this bad boy to Hastings next year?!

I just read the "Where's Wally" thread and now understand how you got to this point. Glad to read that you walked away from the accident ok and that you are back on your feet with an even bigger and stronger lineup of cars! Can't wait to see you continued progress with this racecar build. It's already looking and sounding awesome!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
voodoo child21 said:
Wish I was retired........................
Me too...I'm just "Tired". :(

TMO Supporting Vendors