The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

At VIR today with good friends. Shakedown #2.

First session, windshield (1/4" Optic Armor) started to buckle in at 150mph. (watch the circular sticker under the mirror):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoDKp08QNQI

Managed to get a support fabricated for session #2.

View attachment 5568

Ditched the (slower) Contis after 2 sessions.

Then had wheel balance issues -- the lighter body with Cortex solid bushings is WAY more sensitive to Tire slippage than the street car. Rear wheel vibration caused the Magneride controller connection to vibrate enough to loose CAN bus connectivity and put the car into limp mode.

Got the wheels re-balanced and looking forward to tomorrow!

Good to see you again Nick @ VIR! I wondered what happened when your car went into limp mode. I may have some video of that session...

-Marko

Good to see you Marco. Great event, as always at VIR!

Car went into limp mode as Magneride lost communication with the CAN bus -- riding the curbs hard!

Meanwhile, having got baseline shakedown data, I'm planning Phase 2 winter upgrades right now.

Will include adjustable UCA's from Full Tilt Boogie Racing as they are not prone to slippage and look to be easier to adjust:

45%20-%20S550%20Adjustable%20Upper%20Control%20Arm.jpg

Full Tilt Boogie Racing has a Black Friday sale on right now 10% off and free shipping...

In the V6L
...Car went into limp mode as Magneride lost communication with the CAN bus...
If the BCM or IPC module (don't know which one) is reporting that it's lost contact with the Dynamic Suspension Module, it's probably a wiring harness problem, not a module problem. In other words, if you swap out the dampers for coil-overs and put the ballast resistors in place of the shocks, this particular failure may just keep on happening. If you know anybody at Ford who can find out for you, what would be best would be to get the as-built code changes required to make the car think it's a 2016 GT350 Base model without Magride. Then, when you install the coil overs, you can take the DSM module out completely.

Which dampers are you looking at?

Hope so! Aiming for mid season to shake down, then a few more mods to hopefully race next year.

Got back from a family vacation and removed the upper and lower Rockers. Replaced the GT lower rockers (included in the BIW EXT kit) with the GT350 specific lower rockers:

View attachment 210

Also installed the Diff cooler and Diff Cooling Pump:

View attachment 207

Fabricated a piece of Aluminum with Rivnuts to tie the pump and cooler together as I will not be installing the Evap system that they bolt to, stock:

View attachment 209

Nick, Does your car have fuel smell on hot days because of removing the evap canister? I want to remove mine but was advised that it will have a strong fuel smell.

Nick, Does your car have fuel smell on hot days because of removing the evap canister? I want to remove mine but was advised that it will have a strong fuel smell.
No fuel smell, but I added a non return valve to the fuel vent.

Meanwhile, I took advantage of Cortex’s Black Friday sale to order these:

cck-50-1000-ohlins-2 (1).jpg

I know how much the single TTX rear damper was on my Ducati... Ouch!

Probably a good move though for a single purpose car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Same came stock on my 2017 Norton Commando and Dominators. Top quality.

I actually looked at this set for my 16 track pack. Good choice. Can’t wait to hear feedback Nick!

By the way, were your rear upper shock mounts stitch welded and reinforced with the roll cage?
Now all the rear body weight is going to be forced onto the upper shock mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, were your rear upper shock mounts stitch welded and reinforced with the roll cage?
Now all the rear body weight is going to be forced onto the upper shock mount.

It will be fine -- The entire Body is seam welded and the Roll cage configuration is very close to FP350S. Both the GT4 and FP350S pick up the stock upper shock mounts. Anticipating the upgrade, I used Rivnuts to secure the rear upper spring perches, so they can be removed.

Many of us installed Coil-overs on the S197 without seam welding, or full cages, with no adverse effects.

Nick - have you noticed a more consistent oil pressure with the new larger oil pan that you installed?

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
No, those parts are freely available, however you also need the 350 unique (composite) radiator grille opening that completes lowering the front end -- these will be some of the most spendy parts...
Hi there,
Can you please PM me the part # for the following GT350 parts as im in Australia and we dont have access to them here due to not geting them.
LHS front fender
RHS front fender
Front bar with inserts and spliter
Hood
Composite Radiator Grille
and any other parts that i may have missed, Thanks

@stasik_a4 I'm traveling (Daytona and Sebring) but will PM you later.

If you want to fully replicate the 350 Front end, there are a lot of parts for the Facia. You'll also need the splitter and undertray

Plus if you want to use the brake cooling ducts, the wheel liners are unique. Then there's the radiator enclosure as well.

Hi there,
Can you please PM me the part # for the following GT350 parts as im in Australia and we dont have access to them here due to not geting them.
LHS front fender
RHS front fender
Front bar with inserts and spliter
Hood
Composite Radiator Grille
and any other parts that i may have missed, Thanks

There is a listing on Facebook of a salvage yard selling practically the whole front GT350 clip. I’ll see if I can find it.

TMO Supporting Vendors