The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@the5 Anything related to SRS I'm just shrink wrapping the exposed copper and will live with the Airbag light on the dash. Door and hood connections need to be grounded to avoid chimes. Magneride needs a defeat module or a cluster update. Same with active exhaust. Plus there are a few hidden ground connections and CAN bus connections that need to be preserved.

TX
Have you weighed the removed wiring/harnesses/modules yet?

Also, have you explored options for eliminating all the factory computers and stuff? I.e. aftermarket ECUs, etc.

Have you weighed the removed wiring/harnesses/modules yet?

Also, have you explored options for eliminating all the factory computers and stuff? I.e. aftermarket ECUs, etc.

You could Go with a Control Pack, Bosch ABS and make a harness for everything left and youll be all set :)

@honeybadger Main Body harness teardown is worth about 10lbs. Vehicle dynamics module and exhaust valve actuators were already gone and are an additional 2-3.

It's a lot of work but cleans up the cabin and eliminates a lot of zip tied pigtails.

I'm researching options for ECU's, mainly interested in driver adjustable Traction control. Interested in anyone's experiences.

Very pleased with braking capability and the Bosch ABS is a lot of cost and install complexity....

Will get the car back on the scales next week to check minimum weight and corner balance.

@honeybadger Main Body harness teardown is worth about 10lbs. Vehicle dynamics module and exhaust valve actuators were already gone and are an additional 2-3.

It's a lot of work but cleans up the cabin and eliminates a lot of zip tied pigtails.

I'm researching options for ECU's, mainly interested in driver adjustable Traction control. Interested in anyone's experiences.

Very pleased with braking capability and the Bosch ABS is a lot of cost and install complexity....

Will get the car back on the scales next week to check minimum weight and corner balance.

For me the Bosch ABS was only a couple wires. Needs the Brake switch Wire, Power and ground and I want to say thats about it! I used 3 an Lines to install as well and Used the included harness.

As Far as ECU's Ive only used stock. I would stay away from anything on the lower end like AEM.
Motec I know make a Plug an Play Harness for the M150, So it would literally be un plug stock and Plug in the M150

Spent the day light weighting the Main body harness, to eliminate Magneride, Airbags, Exhaust valves, Door harness connections (door harnesses were already gone) and a whole bunch more:
View attachment 10539
Here's about 75% of what I pulled out:
View attachment 10540

Just curious
Why didn’t you run coil overs and eliminate all of this when doing the build in the beginning?
Seems like a lot of extra work going back over just to remove everything you already installed once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious
Why didn’t you run coil overs and eliminate all of this when doing the build in the beginning?
Seems like a lot of extra work going back over just to remove everything you already installed once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Several reasons:
First, I had most of the Magneride stuff and wanted to get a baseline of the Race car versus street car with just power/weight changes (having already baselined the OE versus AP brake change on the street car).

Second, at the time of the initial build, there were lots of unknowns on Magneride/ABS/Exhaust mode/Track mode interactions and the complexities of 3 CAN busses. Even changing 1 variable at a time (Firing order, Exhaust, Magneride, ABS and now wiring) there were issues with each, so I'm pleased I took the conservative approach.

Also the original body wiring harness was very badly damaged, so I replaced it for the initial build and then used it as the basis for the lightweight harness (the Vehicle Dynamics module connector was destroyed along with several others).

Just put the car on the scales. Came in at 3,338 lbs with a fraction over 2 gallons of gas, so empty weight is right at 3,325 lbs.

Not sure there's much more weight to lose, on the S550 platform, except by going to Carbon Fiber panels. I could probably get 4 lbs or so by fully zipping the doors and maybe another 6-8 by going with a non stock GT350 cold end exhaust.
fullsizeoutput_18be.jpeg

Car was down on power for last day at Sebring in December. Did a compression and leakdown test, #8 Cylinder is bad. Engine has done 60 hours. FP350S recommendation is rebuild at 40 hours.

Rebuild time!

Dropped to powertrain today:
zdrpUENwSCSzy2arDJCqBg.jpg
Removed Headers:
A924KhRzS4uw5Tsi+ET%6g.jpg
And Transmission:
TDppRHMSTSCXFzt8Lb9tfQ.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Nick, are you able to retain the function of the intake manifold runner actuators with the steel oil lines on the back of the heads? Is there a PN for the lines or are they custom? Thanks.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
At a minimum I'm planning Pistons/Rings, Valves/Springs and Retainers and likely Main/Rod bearings.

Anything further will depend on what we find. Fingers crossed....
Nick what about adding the MMR cooling bridge at the rear of the heads to balance water flow? I may do it when we pull my engine out to do pan/pump.

TMO Supporting Vendors