The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A bit more info on the build. My initial weight target was 3,200lb, so 3,140 was a pleasant surprise.

Main areas of weight reduction were CF Roof and Hood, fully zipped OE Doors, lots of Body weight reduction, plus custom side exhaust together with lighter weight Long tube headers:

IMG_3532.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg
IMG_3816.jpeg
IMG_3828.jpeg

Lots of parts were on backorder, so I spent a lot of time stripping all the harnesses to eliminate unused circuits, hole drilled a whole load of things and even shortened some hardware. Also shortened cable runs for Master power solenoid.

IMG_3478.jpeg
IMG_3549.jpeg

Installed a 22 gallon Fuel Cell. F/R balance is improved 1%, even with no gas:

IMG_3827.jpeg

I'm still dialing the car in, but back to back tests suggest it's a little quicker in ST2 trim. It will certainly be a lot quicker, un-restricted and without ballast!

IMG_3852.jpeg

I have a couple more upgrades coming that should help further....

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
A bit more info on the build. My initial weight target was 3,200lb, so 3,140 was a pleasant surprise.

Main areas of weight reduction were CF Roof and Hood, fully zipped OE Doors, lots of Body weight reduction, plus custom side exhaust together with lighter weight Long tube headers:

View attachment 67612

View attachment 67611
View attachment 67610
View attachment 67613

Lots of parts were on backorder, so I spent a lot of time stripping all the harnesses to eliminate unused circuits, hole drilled a whole load of things and even shortened some hardware. Also shortened cable runs for Master power solenoid.

View attachment 67614
View attachment 67616

View attachment 67618

I'm still dialing the car in, but back to back tests suggest it's a little quicker in ST2 trim. It will certainly be a lot quicker, un-restricted and without ballast!

View attachment 67617

Wow! I guess up until that last pic with BOTH cars, I was under the impression that I was reading updates on the grey car - this is a whole other car???!!! Very cool.

TX
Hey Nick - Do you happen to have anymore details on that exhaust? Underside/inside shot how you routed it?

What was the driver for it? remove the heavy mufflers in the back? How come single exit vs. each side? Okay, I'll hold there :)
Several drivers:
Less weight
Moves heat source away from Fuel, Diff and Axle UJ’s
Easier to remove for maintenance.

Single 4” outlet flows as well or better than dual pipes and is lighter.

I didn’t take pictures and it has to be boxed in to reduce cabin heat. I ran without for initial shake down and wouldn’t do it again!

Downside (for some) is it requires a Fuel Cell to package and it will not meet sound at restricted tracks.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Saw your new car on display at Mustang ALley during the Dream Cruise, nice build, lots of good ideas and a very clean car in the end.
I was a bit surprised you didn't move the fuse box and battery in the passenger seat area and the trunk as is usually done on the GT4s.

What's your weight balance in the end?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

View attachment 67612

View attachment 67611
View attachment 67610
View attachment 67613

View attachment 67614
View attachment 67616

View attachment 67618

View attachment 67617

Is there a muffler or is this open exhaust?

Saw your new car on display at Mustang ALley during the Dream Cruise, nice build, lots of good ideas and a very clean car in the end.
I was a bit surprised you didn't move the fuse box and battery in the passenger seat area and the trunk as is usually done on the GT4s.

What's your weight balance in the end?
Thanks.

I didn’t think it was worth the work to move the battery. It only weighs 6lb. You end up adding a lot of cable weight and complexity…..

I’m using striped down OE harnesses so relocating the fuse box would be complex.

F/R is 53/47 with no gas and 51/49 full. That compares to 54/46 for the grey car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It’s open. There’s plenty of space for resonators, but adding a muffler would be challenging.

There’s only one track that I run with noise limits, so I’ll use the Grey car there….
Yeah, that was my problem too, no room for mufflers and every track we run requires them, and they have to be very quiet.
I could have made a trombone in the back with a 4" muffler across the back seat area but the heat, weight and complexity just wasn't worth it in the long run. Thanks for the reply.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
where did you get those ford performance parts decals from?

TMO Supporting Vendors