The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350R Rear Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd like to see some aero data for it. I still struggle with the aesthetics. It looks more like a "loop" than a wing to me. A wing (fixed or rotary) is open ended (formally) IIRC.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It's unlikely that the sides do anything for the downforce, but I'd wager they are shaped the way they are in order to conform to the airflow coming off the C-pillar and thus create less drag than a more "obvious" upright.

A benefit of this is that it keeps the airflow under the wing uninterrupted--and under-airfoil flow is the most important part to creating downforce with a wing.

Then there is also the aesthetic aspect of the whole thing--how many people would buy a "road car" with a 302S-style wing on it?

The original wings are not open ended. ;)

SOARING%20EAGLE-1000%20pixels%20wide.jpg

The wings or airfoils used on cars are inverted to create downforce instead of lift. There are numerous examples of wings closed at the end in F1 and IndyCar.

upw03.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing

It should be a great design. The end plates essentially go all the way down and support the airfoil thus reducing overall drag.

I increased the end plates on mine more for looks but it would provide more laminar air flow under the horizontal portion. The four feet of the wing create drag though. The GT350R wing in my opinion is perfect.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000001A5_zpsks3h8ki0.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If I don't end up with an R, I will definitely install this wing.

Probably not the first though...

The 'functional' beauty of the wing is that there are no or not many effects from 'wingtip vortices'. And that's the main reason to have end plates on a wing anyway. It keeps the high pressure air (under an airplane wing, and over a car wing) from spilling in to the low pressure side and spinning into a vortex.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DG#56 said:
A lot Drew. At least 12. Cmon.

You and I probably wouldn't have a problem with it, but many might call us "crazy". I don't mean that there's not a market, it's just a question of reaching profitability with the (inevitably) small market size for such a hardcore variant. Hopefully Ford Performance continues to take care of the hardcore enthusiast/weekend club racer/pro racers with a program similar to the FR500S/C and 302R/S.

ArizonaBOSS said:
You and I probably wouldn't have a problem with it, but many might call us "crazy". I don't mean that there's not a market, it's just a question of reaching profitability with the (inevitably) small market size for such a hardcore variant. Hopefully Ford Performance continues to take care of the hardcore enthusiast/weekend club racer/pro racers with a program similar to the FR500S/C and 302R/S.

I agree! I was being "sarcastical" in my post.. lol

Slightly off-topic of GT350 wings, I checked a local dealer with one allocated -- $20,000.00 ADM. lol Insane!

The joke is the new mustang has the roof off a 350Z and the wing off an STI. I think, and this is just my opinion here, that the new cars roofline was exaggerated to allow the air to flow around it and therefore make a smaller wing more aerodynamically viable. The current cars will run 170 (or so..lol) but are carrying the large Steeda spec wing in Conti. I think an effort has been made to clean that area up a bit to allow the same amount of downforce with more top end. I'm not sure you would be successful using that wing with the older body styles, IMO you'd be better off with the Steeda wing for long tracks and the PWC wing for short ones and leave the new wing for the new car. FWIW it was rumored a few years ago one of our cars spent some time in a tunnel, but that was just rumors.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
The joke is the new mustang has the roof off a 350Z and the wing off an STI. I think, and this is just my opinion here, that the new cars roofline was exaggerated to allow the air to flow around it and therefore make a smaller wing more aerodynamically viable. The current cars will run 170 (or so..lol) but are carrying the large Steeda spec wing in Conti. I think an effort has been made to clean that area up a bit to allow the same amount of downforce with more top end. I'm not sure you would be successful using that wing with the older body styles, IMO you'd be better off with the Steeda wing for long tracks and the PWC wing for short ones and leave the new wing for the new car. FWIW it was rumored a few years ago one of our cars spent some time in a tunnel, but that was just rumors.

Supposedly the GT/CS / Laguna wing was supposed to go on the 302Rs but Ford Racing couldn't get Grand Am to buy off on it; so the Steeda wing from the 500C was retained.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Supposedly the GT/CS / Laguna wing was supposed to go on the 302Rs but Ford Racing couldn't get Grand Am to buy off on it; so the Steeda wing from the 500C was retained.
Hey I remember that conversation. ;D AFAIR the one positive of the Steeda wing was the racers felt it added a bit of stability during high speed braking due to the side plates.

TMO Supporting Vendors