The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350R Steering Wheel Available Soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well if you wanted the red stripe at the top of your GT350 or S550 Mustang steering wheel Ford Performance will be offering the R steering wheel soon. I was thinking about adding this to my race red GT350 TP. Frankly I'm surprised Ford didn't put a white stripe at the top of the non R's.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=25908

M-3600-M350R.jpg

If there is some way to put a 350 or 350R wheel on a Boss and still keep the airbag functionality, I hope someone does it and can show us how. I don't even care about hooking up the phone/radio buttons as long as no warning lights come one.

Anyone going to be the guinea pig???

mattlqx

Mustangless
VooDooBOSS said:
Frankly I'm surprised Ford didn't put a white stripe at the top of the non R's.

Well, the hash is the same material as the bottom of the wheel. If they used white for the hash, that's yet another material to stock. And the aesthetics of nothing else being white. I don't mind the subdued difference. It's still noticeable but not in your face about it.

Champale said:
If there is some way to put a 350 or 350R wheel on a Boss and still keep the airbag functionality, I hope someone does it and can show us how. I don't even care about hooking up the phone/radio buttons as long as no warning lights come one.

Anyone going to be the guinea pig???
You? ;D I doubt it's going to fit but give Ford Performance a call next week and see if it will. The wheel on the Boss and S197 cars are too big and too thin. The new wheel is much nicer.

Jabooh1 said:
If it fits I might try this. I am not a fan of the boss wheel.

Yes! Not a fan of the huge boss wheel as well. Only problem with the smaller 350 wheel is, if it fits, that it'll block the gauges even more with my seating position.

Jabooh1 said:
I found a thread on another forum that indicated the GT350 wheel bolts right up.
Cool, the R wheel with red highlights will look awesome in your LS. I think you'll need to purchase the buttons, which might be expensive, otherwise you'll have large holes in the wheel. Maybe look for a 2015+ Mustang steering wheel from a recycling yard.

Hey Jabooh - thank you for posting it but correct me if I am wrong - that thread appears to be a guy who put a GT350 wheel on his S550?

Looking at the writeup on M6G I looks to be damn near impossible to do as the means to connect the S197 wheels are vastly different.

You may be able to but you are going to have to drill into the side of the steering wheel and create bolts for the side like these ones. It should still use the center 24mm bolt like the S197 models but then you have to deal with a new airbag and the airbag tabs are different on the S197 and the S550 models.

guide-53688_2-03.jpg

Thank you Sean and Jabooh for those posts. I think if it requires a different airbag and such, I am not interested. Heck, what am I saying - I have a Takata airbag in my car, for goodness sake!

TMO Supporting Vendors