The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350R versus the Boss Comparison: Road and Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No surprise there. I did note they commented on the high oil temps on the GT350R. Calling @cloud9

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Hard to compete with 305's and 315's "sport cups" front and rear with 255's and 275's R compounds front and rear.

No doubt the GT350R is still the next generation and a step ahead of the Boss. It better be. The previous S197 chassis was very good and the Boss optimized that chassis to it's fullest potential and was the "best" of it's generation Mustang which is significant. It was a watershed Mustang and the first to be able to best times of the M3 and even the Audi R8. Quite impressive for that time.

Many Boss owners or even new GT350 owners no less R owners couldn't drive a Boss 302 no less a Boss LS to its full potential on a track.

However,it's now a new day and time for a new Generation Mustang to take the mantel and lead the way.

The "Boss" will be an "oldie but a goodie" soon if not all ready. It's still a "Boss 302" though. An Iconic Stang that will be sought after and desired in coming years IMHO. In the long run maybe as much or more so than the GT350 or R depending on ultimate production figures for those cars.

Would buy an R as a stable mate to the Boss if I could damn well figure out where to find one at list. For a few years I fear that will be like Cortez finding the "fountain of youth" .

One of the people commenting noted dealers he spoke to are starting at $100K for the R.

Good luck to me. ::)

Candidly, if I was going to pay $100K I would seriously look at the new Z06 or the new Viper GTS.

VooDooBOSS said:
No surprise there. I did note they commented on the high oil temps on the GT350R. Calling @cloud9
Well the last thing I expected to have to deal with on this car was cooling given how much was done in that category......oil, brakes, trans and diff all factory on the R and track pack cars. I guess I'd really like to know whether it's a legitimate concern given modern synthetic oils (changed every 4-6 hours) and engine design. Reading his comments, he's basically asking the same question:

"I'm a bit worried by oil temperatures that hover in the 280-300 degree range during our testing, but I've also seen a Boss 302 spike its oil gauge on a racetrack. You just have to trust that the engine is as stout as it is stout-hearted. If you can live with that, the rest is gravy."

Do we know that oil temps in the 280-300* range are going to cause premature engine failure? I'm guessing many Boss 302s were experiencing these kinds of oil temps on track, possibly unbeknownst to their owners.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
@fuhrius , thanks for posting, great article, makes me ponder black versus yellow R to go next to my SBY Boss

@REAL 1, +1 on your entire post

@VooDooBOSS , +1 on your tire factoid, I think when my initial tires wear out I must go PSS. Yours and others feedback.

@all, what a great site and great sharing

TMO Supporting Vendors