The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gt350r vs.gt 350? Noob questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all, sorry if these are "dumb" questions but as I said in a previous post, I have never owned a Mustang, had a few other Ford's.

I went to a SD Dealer yesterday and they have a 2017 R black/black stripe/add back electronics etc for sticker & 50k market adj.

Has 12 miles on the odo.

So I am trying another plan to acquire one of these, not going to pay the mkt adj, just does compute "value wise" for me, I don't call the dealer a gouger, I am a believer in free enterprise, so if he can get it good on him, just not from me.

So if my plan B does not pan out (here is the noob question) does the gt350 (not r) have any of the same parts so that I could "build up" the car to my specs? In particular motor/tranny/diff/brakes & such?

Thanks!

The underlying cars are the same except for some minor suspension tweaks. I've basically built an R with my car and you car read about it below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/wheres-my-redpill.10744/

Have you made the dealer an offer? Maybe $10k over sticker? You would probably get the ADM back in resale value.

DFW, TX
50k! They are crazy.

The basic car is the same, engine, trans, brakes, etc.

Carbon wheels and aero is the biggest difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

$50k market adjustment seems very steep.

There are many little odds and ends differences between R and non-R but I'd argue they are more valuable in the limited production numbers than actual performance. Particularly if you are on TMO, you'd probably planning to use on your on track. Just lighter wheels and tires would probably make up 80%+ of the difference on the car.

Well, wow, it's "almost" like the R is a cosmetic package. I am a little in shock to hear this. Thanks.

What about the shocks? Does the 350 (not r) get the magnetic shocks?

BTW as I sat in the R and played with the setting, I was surprised to see only 2 settings on the shocks. Normal & track. Other cars with those magnetic shocks (licensed from GM IIRC) had like 5 settings, much more bueno.

:)

The underlying cars are the same except for some minor suspension tweaks. I've basically built an R with my car and you car read about it below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/wheres-my-redpill.10744/

Have you made the dealer an offer? Maybe $10k over sticker? You would probably get the ADM back in resale value.

Would you happen to have a "short list" of the mods? 15 pages of thread is a lot to scroll thru & I might miss one or two?

Maybe just the major ones.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cliffs Notes:
Different springs, shorter, track-focused tires (modeled performance on Hoosier R6 DOT race tire), rear sway bar, front splitter, rear wing, rear seat delete, radio/AC delete, R-stitching on seats, carbon fiber wheels, oil and transmission coolers standard, no resonators in exhaust.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
2017 GT350 cars all come with the TrackPack, which includes the coolers. You won't be able to order the R specific parts when you purchase the car, they just won't do a "custom" build for you. You can order them later, but fiy, splitter is 1500$, wing is 7k, wheels are 4k each...

2017 GT350 cars all come with the TrackPack, which includes the coolers. You won't be able to order the R specific parts when you purchase the car, they just won't do a "custom" build for you. You can order them later, but fiy, splitter is 1500$, wing is 7k, wheels are 4k each...

Thanks, so with those kind of prices on the splitter & wing I guess my comment re: R being cosmetic is not really the case. I knew the rims were expensive.

I shudder when I picture my local bubba doing a tire change on those cf rims. Hunter has a video on how to do it and not damage the rims, but I don't know many tire changer guys who take those precautions, never mind even KNOW what the precautions are.

Ugh.

The prices yotah1 quoted are retail and the wheels can be purchased for about $2,600 each. Frankly I would not be worried about damage to the wheels as they appear to be holding up just fine. Any shop with the correct equipment will be able to change the tires. Remember it's a car part not surgery on your body. :)

Let me first say that I would love to have purchased an R and was willing to pay $10K over when they first went into production and couldn't find one so I bought a Track Pack instead. If I was looking for a new car I'd still be willing to pay $10 over for an R. The wheels alone are worth the price not to mention the resale value. I couldn't find one in my price range so I decided to add some of the performance pieces myself.

From a performance perspective the lightweight wheels and PSC2 tires are 80%+ of the performance difference, maybe closer to 90%. I've added the aero but didn't notice much difference. The other pieces are the suspension tweaks which from my understanding are there to take advantage of the stickier tires. Besides the slightly stiffer springs and rear sway bar the MR dampers are different in that they have smaller "slot gaps" which are the slots where the MR fluid goes through and gets magnetized. This makes the whole travel stiffer. There are a few other minor differences as well. There are five driving modes on all GT350's. Once you put the car in track mode it will only show two. Having tracked my car a half dozen times I can verify that lighter wheels and stickier tires make a big difference (just like they do on any car). So from a performance perspective you're able to get close enough that it will be a drivers race.

I'm planning on adding the FP lowering springs and possibly a DSC MR controller from CorteX. I do not plan on making any other changes to the suspension. The main reason to add the lowering springs, which are stiffer than stock, is to lower the CG. The controller is supposed to make a noticeable difference and is completely customizable.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/ford-performance-gt350-lowering-spring-group-buy.12102/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/custom-gt350-dsc-control-module-by-cortex.12338/

Thanks, agree with basically all of that, I may build one if I can't find an R with a "fair" (in my mind) price. Either way I am ridiculously excited about this next car, After I took (passenger) laps in one & then sat driver side at the local dealer my excitement abounds.

Are there any 18" wheels that fit over the brakes? Like the tire selection & prices more for 18's.

Well with the R's limit of what 500 cars per yr they will always fetch a higher price but any dealer that wants 50k over is crazy. I hope they like that car because they are going to have it for a long time. I would think the std 350 with track pack would be the best deal at MSRP.

Bay Area
Froggy, I'm from SD but don't live there right now. If I may ask, what dealer did you go to? I have a feeling you went to Ken Grody or North County Ford. You can find the cars in your range but you will most likely have to travel. IMO, just get a TP 350 and make it the way you want. Right now, it's less cash and you can have more fun. Once you get a 350R, if you're like some of us, it will always be in your mind. "I have a badass Mustang and don't want to track it." Good luck in your search.

Bay Area
Oh Mossy can be a PITA also. They tried to charge me 20 bucks for a quart of oil for the Boss!!!

You might want to try Perry Ford in Nasty City. I bought my Boss there for under MSRP when the market was still hot. I know they had 3-5 GT350s for 16 and they might have more. The same dealer, but in Poway might have them on the lot. Just to forewarn you, they are asshats.

I do know that North County Ford has a white 17, but I am not sure of the options. If you reach out to them ask for Jarrod Boyles (if he is still there) he sold me my Boss in National Shitty

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors