The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT4 Mustang Intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today I stumbled across a video that had a shot of the new GT4 mustang with the hood open. The surprising thing to me is it appears that Ford is using the factory GT intake manifold/air box not the GT350 pieces. Obviously the factory equipment can support enough power to be competitive in the IMSA.

I wonder how much HP the car makes and if they use a filter inside the air box or just a seal?

Attachments

• GT4 Mustang Engine.png
    GT4 Mustang Engine.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
This is a quote from an unofficial breakdown of the classes.

"Cars are adjusted to have an almost identical performance level so that driver skill is highlighted, and once a car has been homologated it cannot be modified. This prevents a war of developmental cost increases, allowing the series to keep it a true amateur series."

It would appear that yes they are HP limited via a HP/# ratio. That totally puts a rain storm over my parade lol. Because I'm pretty sure that car is all of 3100-3200 #'s, and they can still be competitive at that weight with 400 ish whp.

Edit: After posting the above quote, I went to the IMSA website and found this.

Grand Sport (GS) - As with all Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge cars, GS class cars start out as stock, production model cars that race with minor modifications only. The GS class contains the top performing cars and include the Aston Martin Vantage, BMW M3, Chevy Camaro GS.R, Ford Shelby GT350R-C, Ford Mustang Boss 302 R, Nissan 370Z, Porsche 911 and Subaru WRX-STI. The engines are tuned to produce between 400 and 500 horsepower and are capable of speeds in excess of 175 mph.

This restores my faith in Ford and, in general, makes me happy inside.

I looked up that hood, and it's made by KohR motor sports. It's competitively priced to tiger racing's hood, but the street version has removable drip trays for under the vents.

LERCH

Last edited:
Another point on this is that's not the GT350 engine. Someone posted what it is but it's not the FPC 5.2L found in the GT350.

Last edited:
I am actually more interested in the intakes impact on RPM potential vs overall output. How easily will the motor still turn 8200 RPM with the GT intake? The series will put a restrictor on the car to limit power output as BOP adjustment. But, even with a restrictor, I suspect the GT350 intake would have a higher RPM potential compared to the GT intake.

That gives a weight of 3344 lbs sans driver and fuel.

Idk how high they rev these motors with the GT manifold. Everything I've read says the don't do well past 6500. But with a different set of cams (GT350 spec) Idk if that would change.

Here's a graph from Palm Beach Dyno of a 2015 GT stock vs BOSS intake.

Attachments

• 11-2015-Mustang-Boss-Intake-Test.jpg
    11-2015-Mustang-Boss-Intake-Test.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I'll say this, the OE GT Intake is much better than people think. Dyno numbers tell little other than to bench race with your fellow Mustang owners. An open element in an extremely low pressure area (underhood) will make the BSFC go through the roof because a NA engine is an air pump, if it has to suck harder bigger anything is of no help getting air into the combustion chamber. Road Racing isn't about HP. It's about pit strategy, FUEL mileage and torque out of the corners ;) Mustangs are not momentum machines like MX-5's.

Well put. I was thinking about testing the ram air effect of opening the grille up to the intake and using the velossa tech bell mouth. Then I saw the prices of a drive shaft dyno....nope not today.

I think I'm keeping the stock airbox and dropping in a reusable filter. I might also replace the tube from the box to the tb with the airaid tube. So I can run the GT350 tb/manifold.

LERCH

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
FWIW on my Boss with the stock airbox and intake tube (and intake manifold/tb), there was no difference in power on the dyno with a K&N vs. the stock paper filter, back-to-back runs same dyno a few mins apart. Buy whichever one is less expensive.

I'm mainly in it for the reusable part. Especially with all the pollen in Alabama and Georgia.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Solid , solid info from Arizona Boss. We have found very similar results in our shop , though based on a different car, and there is a feeling anymore that the Engineers are optimizing the airflow and filters to the nth degree at the Factory. Plus no concern of oil residue getting into the mass airflow sensor and possibly causing an issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel