The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 ABS Control Unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone,

I've tried searching the forum but couldn't get an answer.

I'm planning on switching to GT500 S197 brakes with the 4 pinston calipers in the future.
I know it is probably not neseccary to replace the ABS control unit with a 07-09 GT500 one, but what are the benefits of it, and are they still available to get new?

Is there a better ABS unit out there that fit our cars?

Thanks.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Hi everyone,

I've tried searching the forum but couldn't get an answer.

I'm planning on switching to GT500 S197 brakes with the 4 pinston calipers in the future.
I know it is probably not neseccary to replace the ABS control unit with a 07-09 GT500 one, but what are the benefits of it, and are they still available to get new?

Is there a better ABS unit out there that fit our cars?

Thanks.
The Ford Racing one is highly sought after for track use and rare as hens teeth.
The stick axle guys don't get much attention anymore. :(

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
You can see them in Summit but looks like they take a while to get in.

One of the reason to get this is removing advanced track so you can get decent lap times and it does not come on by its self when it thinks the driver has lost it. You can do the same with a good tune, for example, AED has all the nannies off in the track tune (manuals only).

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

One of the reason to get this is removing advanced track so you can get decent lap times and it does not come on by its self when it thinks the driver has lost it. You can do the same with a good tune, for example, AED has all the nannies off in the track tune (manuals only).

oops its cheaper at....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

From what I understand the boss 302 module is different than the 05-10 Cars. The module for our cars is the FR500 module and they are out of production.
When I bought mine I purchased one from Several retailers who all showed them as in stock but none had one. I finally found one on eBay.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
The module for our cars is the FR500 module and they are out of production.
When I bought mine I purchased one from Several retailers who all showed them as in stock but none had one. I finally found one on eBay.
Do you, or does anybody else here, know how the FR500 module differs from the regular production unit?

Norm

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
One more reason for a Coyote swap! I guess the tune path makes more sense then.

The tune path will disable Advance Trac and traction control, however won’t alter the ABS logic like the Ford Performance modules do. The ABS parameters are adjusted outward for the aggressive tires and brakes on the race cars. I’m not sure why the aftermarket hasn’t pulled the programming from the Ford Performance modules and replicated, or at least offered something similar - I’m guessing it boils down to liability??

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Do you, or does anybody else here, know how the FR500 module differs from the regular production unit?

Norm
As far as I understand, and I'm certainly no expert on the matter, it affects the brake balance and also the traction control.
I believe Grant will have more information on this.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am not sure how much more aggressive the abs programming would be. Not even sure I would want to be any more aggresive!!. With 15"brembos, fat slicks and good race pads. my Chariot axled S197 was on par with a stock Porsche GT3 in braking..... maybe even a little bit better.... But he did not have to change discs every few events.

Does @ArizonaBOSS have the updated ABS sensor?

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
I'm not sure that 'more aggressive' would be the right way to describe an ABS system intended for higher performance use. I can think of at least three ways in which the FR500 module's calibration might well differ from that of the regular production module, and I wouldn't offhand expect more aggressive ABS intervention to be consistent with any of them.

I'm waiting for Grant or somebody who might have direct knowledge to chime in.

Norm

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Keen to see if its worth getting! To be honest, almost never feel the abs activating with slicks. But very much so with street tires and semi slicks...

That module would have been programmed for 275/35-18 race tires that Ford started with?

Thanks for all the info so far.

I still have 2 questions - is the OEM ABS unit found in the 07-09 GT500 cars different than the rest of the Mustang line-up?

If not, I'd also like to know the benefit of the FR500 unit.

05-10 cars don't have advancetrac so this is only an ABS thing.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks for all the info so far.

I still have 2 questions - is the OEM ABS unit found in the 07-09 GT500 cars different than the rest of the Mustang line-up?

If not, I'd also like to know the benefit of the FR500 unit.

05-10 cars don't have advancetrac so this is only an ABS thing.
05-10 do have traction control and will apply rear brake without the driver knowing it, even if TC is turned off.
This is one of the main draws to this unit as heavy tracking especially with sticky tires often lead to cooked pads.

05-10 do have traction control and will apply rear brake without the driver knowing it, even if TC is turned off.
This is one of the main draws to this unit as heavy tracking especially with sticky tires often lead to cooked pads.

I didn't know the TC is still active on 05-09 cars even when turned off. I only refered to advancetrac for the 2010 and up cars.

Regarding my questions - do you know if the OEM shelby unit is any different than the one found on the GT's?

And what does the FR500 unit alter?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I didn't know the TC is still active on 05-09 cars even when turned off. I only refered to advancetrac for the 2010 and up cars.

Regarding my questions - do you know if the OEM shelby unit is any different than the one found on the GT's?

And what does the FR500 unit alter?
Again, I'm no expert here but from what I've been told, in "extreme conditions" (read that track driving) the computer may over ride the "disable TC" and add rear brakes even when you don't want it. I do not know about the shelby units. I suspect they are no different than the GT. You know who we need here is @Albino500 ! Got your ears on good buddy?

Last edited:
Did someone ring? I'm no expert but I thought of playing one once on TV. The FRPP M-2353-A is for use in 05/09 stripped down (weight is a factor I'm told) using a 07/09 GT500 master cylinder, brake booster, ABS hydraulic unit, 4 piston front brake calipers and stock single piston rear calipers. As far as I know the ABS module (electrical unit) M-2353-A does not interact with the TC in any matter. The only difference as compared to a stock GT model ABS module (electric unit) is the parameters of the programming (.9 g's verses 1.4 g's) in the operating range of the unit. In other words, during higher g loads under braking the FRPP unit may make changes to counter brake lockup whereas the stock unit won't perform the necessary task and lock up and/or hard pedal will occur. Now, as far as the mentioning of the FRPP M-2353-CA unit goes - total different bird - it's made for 2011 - 2014 models and interacts differently with the various S197 models built during those years. The main parts in the brake system that need to be looked at are the calipers (number of pistons and piston sizes), brake booster (not the master cylinder), and vehicle weight. 2010 model S197s are an odd duck and I'm told are best to be converted to a 2011-14 format. Dean Martin knows all of the in and outs of what went into the various ABS system set ups. He would be your best resource. JS

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Near as I can tell, electronic stability control was not even available on 2009 and earlier S197s. It's certainly not mentioned in the 2008 and 2009 sales brochures . . .

Would this mean that those years of Mustang wouldn't have a yaw sensor from which the sensing of longitudinal acceleration might be possible? Or is there some sort of deceleration-only sensing hiding somewhere?

FWIW, I've found TC on my '08 to be ineffective to the point of apparent worthlessness. I'm fine with that (and I normally turn it off anyway). My car has had the FRPP tune since brand new, if that means anything.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors