The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Axle Backs Exhaust on Boss ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was considering getting the GT500 axle backs ( Ford Racing M-5230-MGTCA1 ) for a little more sound out of the back ( and because theyre rather cheap at @$275) but I read that:

-some people say they are shorter and dont reach the end of the rear diffuser
-looking at the exhaust tips, are they the same diameter as our stock tips?
-whats the difference to our Boss exhaust in specs (they look so similar)

any of you made the switch from stock to GT500 mufflers can share their experience?

I've been contemplating the same switch. I have them on my 11 GT/CS and they sound awesome. The GT/CS has the same rear valance as the Boss/GT500 so the fit should be perfect.

GA
I have those coming for my 2012 GT. They are included with the Power Pack. The stock mufflers are way too quiet. If these don't do the trick I may go with the 49 state sport mufflers M-5230-MGTLA since the sound clip sounds really good. I don't want it too loud though so hopefully the 50 state will be a happy medium.

I put Roush axle backs on mine and there is no problem with fit. It looks exactly how it should look, so I'm not sure if the GT500 ones are shorter or not..it doesn't make sense if they are because then they would look off on a lot of cars. I would definitely recommend getting new axle backs though. I love the sound of my car :)

thanks to all for your input!!!:

@Boss1276 : I heard clips on a *GT* before/after and it sounds perfect, do you know if the stock exhaust on the Boss is the same as the GT or is it already ' up to' GT500 specs ( if it is the same then perfect the GT500 sound like the right choice *for me*, if they already are a tad louder than GT then it will be pointless to upgrade :( )

@Pjwannabe: cant wait to hear about your findings when you get yours, the M-5230-MGTLA sounds great but twice the price and possibly too loud, I'm not after waking up all the dogs but finding the right balance of sound experience within the limits of obnoxiousness around me :)

@Nccstud: I heard the Roush , they sound really great but a little too loud for me and I do want to keep some pressure in the back to continue enjoying the side exhausts , but I can definitely respect your choice! they sound great!

I should add what Im after is making my Boss sounds like a old 69 :) just the right amount of audible muscle,
side pipes are open ( and I love it) , but ... feel like more would grunt would be better :)

The Boss mufflers are the same as the GT with a wider tip welded on.

I'm been thinking about getting the GT500 mufflers or a aftermarket set. Maybe the Corsa's. I almost pulled the trigger on the GT500 last week, but I don't know if they will be enough of a change. I've tried running disk out, but I'm not crazy about the sound. I'm looking for somthing deeper with no drone and not sounding like a truck. ;)

BossJockey said:

I'm been thinking about getting the GT500 mufflers or a aftermarket set. Maybe the Corsa's. I almost pulled the trigger on the GT500 last week, but I don't know if they will be enough of a change. I've tried running disk out, but I'm not crazy about the sound. I'm looking for somthing deeper with no drone and not sounding like a truck. ;)

thanks I didnt know about the Boss mufflers being just a "tip" job compared to the GT's,
I do like that truck like sound from the sides lol but like you, I am unsure if the GT500s are going to make ' enough' change. decisions, decisions....

BossJockey said:

Have you tried larger holes in the side pipes? I went from 1/2" to 7/8" and like the sound a lot. I don't want anything louder than that and have 3/4" if I want to go a touch quieter.

5 DOT 0 said:
BossJockey said:

Have you tried larger holes in the side pipes? I went from 1/2" to 7/8" and like the sound a lot. I don't want anything louder than that and have 3/4" if I want to go a touch quieter.

I just drilled out my test set to 7/8" to try tomorrow. I had be running 3/4" which I like, I'm just looking for some more rear volume. I have a 15% off coupon from Auto Anything that expires tomorrow, so I need to decided quick.

Hi-

I put a set of the 2011-2012 GT500 Axlebacks on my Boss 302 , and it sounds great. A lot louder out the back . I made the resrictor disc size @ 1/2" , and this sounds a lot better than the original mufflers on the car . I would definetely recommend it / Internals of the mufflers are not the same as the originals, and the new ones are also lighter , so there is not as much inside .

Dave C ;D

I'm running one inch exhaust discs right now. When I add the axle backs later this year, I'm concerned the side pipes may not be as loud. I still have the original discs and may put them back in with the new axle backs to see what the difference is.

I had countless compliments on my exhaust at the track this weekend. All the Porsche guys absolutely loved it. I'm running no side discs and Corsa Extreme axle backs.

I thought I read that our mufflers where the same as the GT500 for less restriction at higher rpm? I'm running no side disks since day 1 and all my friends love the sound.

There is still a pretty significant restriction with the stock mufflers. The amount of exhaust passing through the side pipes diminished significantly when I swapped to the Corsas. It also shed 30 lbs.

cloud9 said:
I had countless compliments on my exhaust at the track this weekend. All the Porsche guys absolutely loved it. I'm running no side discs and Corsa Extreme axle backs.

I heard Corsa's youtube demo on the Extremes on a Boss and it sures sounds great, but too loud for me and the NJ law enforcement (NJ and NY acceptable noise levels are defined by the Feds ( no more than 95db) AND by the discretion of the police officer as to what constitutes an "EXCESSIVELY" loud sound. hence Corsas or Roush may equal a ticket ... :(

I finally heard the Roush this weekend on a friend's GT and like the Corsas they are awesome sounding too, since they get louder as you get more RPMS they really sound like a mean race car and probably fit the high revving Boss to a T , but boy, holly LOUD past 4000 , I think you can get heard coming about 1 mile away and thats too much for here too ^^

at this point I think Ill go ahead and get those GT500 and report back, only concern is that it may diminish the lovely side exhaust music coming out of the opened side pipes, well we'll see :(

itrack said:
I thought I read that our mufflers where the same as the GT500 for less restriction at higher rpm? I'm running no side disks since day 1 and all my friends love the sound.
The mufflers are the same as the GT 5.0 with larger tips welded on. I suspect they went this route so the increased back pressure flows more exhaust out the side pipes.

cloud9 said:
There is still a pretty significant restriction with the stock mufflers. The amount of exhaust passing through the side pipes diminished significantly when I swapped to the Corsas. It also shed 30 lbs.

I know this might be hard to quantify, but do you still get the overrun "jake brake" cough and gurgle from the side pipes when coming off of the throttle? I know it's juvenile, but I love that sound. I drive like a little old man on the street, so I usually don't get to hear the beautiful high-rev sounds from the exhaust, but that overrun sound is always accessible and it can make me grin, even when I'm in slow and go traffic. Still, the weight loss and added sound from the SVT muffs is appealing. Besides, I'm pretty sure that those are fitted to the Boss 302S and maybe R, too.

I figure the Corsas are about as extreme as we can get, so if you still get the nice overrun sound, I might go in for the SVT setup.

Jimmy

update: I bought the gt500 from American Muscle $264 - $10 coupon "yellowleaves10", installed them last night in my garage, fit is fine but installation was a painful process.

tip for installation: removing entirely the double front support helped in not having to touch the bars, easy drop and go, and lift and go, so thats good. the pain part is accessing the center bolt ( stuck in sandwich between the top of the muffler and the support, that was tough but if you have a angled ratchet 1/2 inch it would be easy.

sound: well, overall its not louder at all, possibly even no difference ( my baffles on the side have been out). but EVENLY distributes the cool sound around the car instead of through the sides only. also the sides dont sound as midrangey and bright as ws the case before from the increased back pressure on the stock mufflers. Now the sound from the back matches sound from the sides, with a bit of added 'velvet-y' tonal texture to it all. so all in all, it now sounds like what it should have sounded right from the factory, very Steve Mc Queen Bullit all around, but no added aftermarket craziness like the Roush.

conclusion: if youre getting older or like the classic sound or live in a restricted noise regulation area, these are the ones, if you dont have any restrictions and want it louder -> Roush or Corsa extreme.

my 2 cents, hope this helps someone ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors