The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Axle Backs Exhaust on Boss ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rom said:
update: I bought the gt500 from American Muscle $264 - $10 coupon "yellowleaves10", installed them last night in my garage, fit is fine but installation was a painful process.

tip for installation: removing entirely the double front support helped in not having to touch the bars, easy drop and go, and lift and go, so thats good. the pain part is accessing the center bolt ( stuck in sandwich between the top of the muffler and the support, that was tough but if you have a angled ratchet 1/2 inch it would be easy.

sound: well, its not louder at all. but EVENLY distributes the cool sound around the car instead of through the sides only. also the sides dont sound as midrangey and bright from the increased back pressure, and sound from the back matches sound from the sides, with a bit of added 'velvet-y' tonal texture to it all. so all in all, it now sounds like what it should have sounded right from the factory, very Steve Mc Queen Bullit all around, but no added aftermarket craziness like the Roush.

conclusion: if youre getting older or like the classic sound or live in a restricted noise regulation area, these are the ones, if you dont have any restrictions and want it louder -> Roush or Corsa extreme.

my 2 cents, hope this helps someone ;)

With baffles in or out? What does it sound like with the baffles in place?

thats with the baffles out, I loved the sound from the sides, but back was incredibly quiet from factory mufflers.
I didnt put the baffles back in but I would think if you do and add the gt500 Axles backs, the car would sound just like a GT with GT500 exhausts since the sides with baffles in place are sooo quiet.

cloud9 said:
I had countless compliments on my exhaust at the track this weekend. All the Porsche guys absolutely loved it. I'm running no side discs and Corsa Extreme axle backs.
where did you buy your corsa extreme axle backs?

lancerboss302 said:
cloud9 said:
I had countless compliments on my exhaust at the track this weekend. All the Porsche guys absolutely loved it. I'm running no side discs and Corsa Extreme axle backs.
where did you buy your corsa extreme axle backs?

Did you find a good price on the Corsa Xtreme? Cheapest I have been able to find is around $650....Was hoping for a little cheaper.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I used to have them on my boss. They are just a tad deeper and louder. It cuts down on restriction so the side pipes are a little quieter. The tips look way better instead of the pipe inside a pipe. They do sound great with the restritor plates out and trackey in the ignition.

They are still heavy as the stock ones though if you are looking for weight savings.

Here is a sound clip of my boss with the JLP old school idle tune with GT500 mufflers on
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wYmkeeBAq0[/youtube]

rom,
You're reading my mail:

"sound: well, overall its not louder at all, possibly even no difference ( my baffles on the side have been out). but EVENLY distributes the cool sound around the car instead of through the sides only. also the sides dont sound as midrangey and bright as ws the case before from the increased back pressure on the stock mufflers. Now the sound from the back matches sound from the sides, with a bit of added 'velvet-y' tonal texture to it all. so all in all, it now sounds like what it should have sounded right from the factory, very Steve Mc Queen Bullit all around, but no added aftermarket craziness like the Roush.

conclusion: if youre getting older or like the classic sound or live in a restricted noise regulation area, these are the ones...."

Thanks for the very detailed comments.

Mike

TMO Supporting Vendors