The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 beats Boss 302 LS at the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

But they still chose the Boss to drive home. ;)

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2010/videos/2010_ford_mustang_fe_111.html

That's not exactly the test I was looking for with the GT500. It looks like they ran ONE lap. Maybe they ran two just to make sure they got at least one good lap, but I guess it doesn't say. What would be more telling is running the GT500 and the Boss for a 20-25 minute typical HPDE session. My guess is the GT500 would heat soak within about 4-5 laps and really start bogging down based on my own experience. I guess I'll know more after a track event with the Boss where I can compare my lap times with each car. I figured my modded GT500 would be faster on track than the Boss out of the box, but the Boss would be more enjoyable to drive. The GT500 is so hard on brake parts and front tires, not to mention the constant battle with heat soak. I can tell already the Boss is much better balanced than the GT500, but will give up a lot of power.

Yup I totally agree my 04 Cobra does the same thing. Feels great out of the box then falls on its face after 4 or 5 laps and yes my Cobra eats front tires and breaks.

I'm not sure one set of trial data by magazine guys tells the whole story. I'd be skeptical until I saw a couple more similar tests returning the same result: the GT500 being the fastest. Clearly the GT500 has over 100hp advantage, but the extra weight on the front end and overall has to figure prominently in the comparison. The weight savings and overall better balance of the Boss clearly makes up for the comparitively lesser horsepower vs. the GT500 and with, say, a professional race driver I can't help but think on the track the Boss would have the faster times. But I have to give it to Ford that with the recent refinements to the GT 500 - reduced block weight, suspension tuning - that the current GT500 stacks up well against a purposefully track built car like the Boss.

It ain't 2007 anymore...people forget that the 2011 performance pack GT500 rolls on a really good tire and suspension. The results are actually a testament to how good the LS is...it gives up 100HP to a car with the same chassis and is basically even.

I think we will continue to see the two cars post similar times with the winner being decided by which track/layout is more conducive to each car's very different gearing and powerband.

Mark said:
I think we will continue to see the two cars post similar times with the winner being decided by which track/layout is more conducive to each car's very different gearing and powerband.
I thought the same thing looking at Willow Springs layout. Looks like a pretty fast track with only 9 turns in 2.5 miles and a few of those turns high speed sweepers or kinks. That would favor the higher hp car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Be careful there, C9--these guys said they were on Streets of Willow, which is a shorter track at the Willow Springs site. It is only 1.8 miles.

StreetLg.gif

On the 2.5mi "Big Willow", I have no doubt that the GT500 would be faster as it is more of a power-course.

RoadCourseLg.gif

I'm waiting for the Car & Driver Lightning Lap w/ the Boss :) And at any rate, it's all about the driver :)

Thanks AZ. My bad. I guess I need to read the "fine print" next time. Anyway, you're right about being the driver which is why I'll have some decent comparos of my own soon. That is after I knock the winter rust off. Not sure how my bastardized 07 with all the power and suspension mods would compare to a 12 GT500 though. Oh well, like I said before I'm just thinking the Boss N/A and a little lighter and better balanced will be a better track car for me.

jec246

I wish they would tell you if they had TracKey on or not. It also looked like they weren't pushing the BOSS as hard as the others around the turns.

Lightning lap is a joke. Especially if you compare across different years. When they did the older Evos in it, the "pro" racer they had testing it complained he couldn't keep it in the boost. Boost spools strong from 2500-7000 RPMS, and spool almost is immediate in the 3k-7k range if you know how to drive one. 4k power range... yeah that is too narrow for a track car ::) It all depends who they have driving the cars. I also noticed in the online version of LL when you go back to the old test, they cut out the part where he complains about dropping out of boost. Any test in any magazine/television show/whatever, you can't take the numbers too seriously. Drive the cars, pick which one you like best. And put good tires on it.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Driving a Viper ACR , and having been in a couple of GT 500s, I really think a sorted out " Track Key " Boss will outrun a GT500 on most tracks. It doesn't push as bad, no heat soak like GT500 ( as Cloud 9 suggested ) , and it is just more tossable. I believe the lighter weight and high revving engine would make it stronger on alot of tracks. I know one item we saw with the GT500s at some track events was brake fade -- hauling down alot of mass. The Boss just has the balance , the engine flexibility, the ...............oh, hell , talking to the choir.

Cloud has run both and ............seems he prefers an Orange Crush.

Bill P
Orange Crush #12

Bill Pemberton said:
Driving a Viper ACR , and having been in a couple of GT 500s, I really think a sorted out " Track Key " Boss will outrun a GT500 on most tracks. It doesn't push as bad, no heat soak like GT500 ( as Cloud 9 suggested ) , and it is just more tossable. I believe the lighter weight and high revving engine would make it stronger on alot of tracks. I know one item we saw with the GT500s at some track events was brake fade -- hauling down alot of mass. The Boss just has the balance , the engine flexibility, the ...............oh, hell , talking to the choir.

Cloud has run both and ............seems he prefers an Orange Crush.

Bill P
Orange Crush #12
Yep

TMO Supporting Vendors