The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 CFTP Springs on a PP2 Car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm trying to get the stiffest non-coilover OEM Style springs that work with Magneride for the front of my daily driver/time trials PP2 without lowering the car. Does anyone know if you can put GT500 CFTP springs on a PP2 Car? I think it might work but maybe not, and if it did work, I'm wondering what the ride height changes would be. Any experience or ideas regarding this?

Thanks for the help

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
They will fit, but will not be as much lowering as the BMR handling springs. On a GT500 they ride taller than the BMR and Steeda springs by around 1/2". Steeda dual rates are the stiffest, and will also fit, and lower the car.

Thank you Stan, that information will help me with this decision. I'm still not sure which will be the final choice, but its nice to have the options.

Mike

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I ran the BMRs for a couple of years on my gt350, it's a very good combo for handling and even ride. There is some occasional bottoming if you have very bumpy roads where you drive. If you are worried about that, the progressive cftp and steeda springs provide more resistance to that as they get stiffer at the end of the travel.

I think you would be happy with the cftp front springs, they have a good rate, not too low (about stock gt350 height). You would find the BMR too low, same with the steeda.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was originally thinking about just changing the front springs and then developing the rest from there. That's what I did with my S197, I found that Eibach had lowering springs for a 2007 GT500 (iron block w/ supercharger) that could be installed on a 2014 Track Pack, it seemed to have a lot more spring rate than anything else and it only ended up with a 3/4" drop on my car. At the time, I was able to speak directly to an engineer at eibach and he told me that I would end up with a working spring rate of 308 pounds/inch on the front. I didn't like the way my Koni Yellows handled this but the springs worked out well after I changed to Bilstein's. But it was like inventing the wheel after that. Which was fun but time consuming.

This time with my PP2, I'm thinking I would like to take advantage of some of the already figured out possibilities and I really appreciate the experience that the members here have.

From all the reading that I have been doing, I'm thinking of going with a front and rear spring package, and probably at least one sway bar.

Top contenders are:
GT350R F&R
GT500 CFTP F&R
Steeda Dual Rate F&R for Magnaride
BMR SP083

Right now I think I'm leaning towards the GT500 CFTP or the Steeda Dual Rate Springs with their Competition Rear Swaybar. I have not found anyone who has had a posiitive or negative experience with the CFTP springs with a PP2 Magnaride, but it looks like there are positive reviews for the Steeda dual rate springs on non-GT350 Magnarides.

I already have the Maximum Motorsports front camber plates with 2.8 degrees of camber at my oem ride hight. Currently front tread wear is pretty even inside to outside, even with track days.

Next step for me is to take my car to my local speed bumps and dips, and then measure my clearance, It would be nice if I could get away with lowering the car a half inch. I also may consider changing to a slightly taller 285/35-19 or 295/35-19 tire for the street use.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Us, NC
Any update on this? Curbs are tall where I live and parking lots suck so the gt500 springs are a interesting thought 🤔 does anyone know what the spring increase would be? Also, I've seen steeda offer the gt500 mag ride struts as an upgrade for pp2 and 350 cars. I'd imagine a gt500 spring strut combination would be quite stout.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel