The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally installed the GT500 exhaust on my 2013 Boss. It was very easy and I didn't even have to jack up the car. I thought is was not very much louder if at all, but my wife asked what I did to the car, as she said it vibrates the house more than before.

011.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Tlavalle said:
Not sure if the dual tail pipe mufflers will go on the 2012 Boss. The rear difussers are different.
nope they will not would have to swap to a 2013 gt500 rear bumper and tail lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss mac said:
Go with the 11-12 gt500 mufflers, they sound much better and bolt right on. Look better too. I love them on mine with 3/4" side pipe discs. Not too loud and not quiet either.

Absolutely - it looks good but i dont want to change out the rear on my 12. I saw gt500 exhaust and didnt even notice the dual at 1st haha. Id be a great detective.

I also prefer the 11-12. That big 4 inch looks like it belongs there. CAUTION: the tips will slice the shiznit out of your fingers when you wash them. You've been warned!

Tlavalle said:
Finally installed the GT500 exhaust on my 2013 Boss. It was very easy and I didn't even have to jack up the car. I thought is was not very much louder if at all, but my wife asked what I did to the car, as she said it vibrates the house more than before.

011.jpg

Please confirm. You didn't have to jack up the car and you kept the rear valence so all that changes was the pipes? If so please post part number and where you bought.

You do need to change the rear valence to a '13/14 GT500. If you don't want to break off the exhaust clamps off your stock axelbacks, then you need to pick up a pair of oclamps as well (some axlebacks come with clamps).

If you call Tousley or Tasca Ford, they'll now exactly what you need to complete the swap. I made the mistake of looking up the valence part number myself on their online catalog, and ended up purchasing the wrong one. Or, if you don't want to give them a call, do a quick search on this site or SVTP for the part numbers.

My advice, source a used set of axlebacks from SVTP, ebay, or craigslist. Paint the back of the mufflers black for a cleaner look. Lastly, buy exhaust clamps, if necessary, and GT500 rear valence from Tousley or Tasca Ford. Back then, this route gave me the best deal.

Also, there's no way I could have changed mine out without jacking up the rear-end or driving on ramps.

I bought the mufflers used from Kijiji in Canada. I bought the rear diffuser, clamps, bolts, screws, nuts and clips from Levittown Ford. I got the parts numbers from the instruction sheet from the Ford Racing kit. Go to http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-racing-mustang-axle-back-quad-mufflers-with-rear-lower-valence-p-1750.html to get the instruction PDF download, you will see a "view installation instruction here", click on the word "here" to see the PDF. This is where I got the part numbers for the install. The part number that starts with the Y was not good, but those clips came with the rear diffuser. You can order the complete kit from Levittown Ford with part number M5230MSVTCD for $694.40, watch for the freight charges as it may have to come by truck. I paid about $600 total for the used mufflers (2500 miles on them) and the parts from Levittown Ford, landed to my home in Canada.

As for the install, the diffuser was very easy to remove, just be careful when removing the clips and those one way tabs. On the passenger side I removed the muffler hanger with the muffler, reinstalled the hanger, and installed the muffler with a new clamp. The driver side, I removed the bolts on the lateral stiffener, removed the muffler. I did not remove the driver side muffler hanger. I then installed the muffler with a new clamp, replaced the bolts on the stiffener. I used soap water to get the mufflers off and on the hangers. Installed the new diffuser, centered the mufflers and tightened the new clamps, (I did not cut the clamps off my mufflers so that I can return the car to stock later, if I want).

I did not jack up the car. It took me and a friend about 2 hours to do.

Every once in while I fall ass backwards into a great deal. Next mod for me is the 2014 GT500 brake package. 6 piston fronts with 15 inch rotors and the 13.8 inch rears. I already have a line on a set of take offs from another 2014 that a guy put super snake wilwoods on his car. Just negotiating a price.

Does anybody know if there is a discernable difference in exhaust sound between the regular GT500 muffs and the quad version ? Is one more aggressive than the other ?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel