The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, today I installed the Ford mufflers and rear valance panel, (part # M-5230-MSVTCD), on my 2013 School Bus Yellow Boss. I doubt that it improved performance in any way, but MAN does it look good. The old valance panel was not difficult to remove and the new one came with more hardware and clips to install it than I needed. I struggled with the first new muffler for a while but once I figured out the best way to hang it, it went smoothly and the second muffler went on fast. All parts were quality parts and it looks like it came from the factory with the Quad exhaust. I think it is slightly louder, but maybe I am just wanting it to be, but in any case it both looks and sounds outstanding. Took me about 3 hours, but I am 65 years old and not as agile as I used to be!! Ford should have sold them to us like this!! Oh yeah, you're just going to have to form a mental picture of it; as I said, I'm 65 and not very computer literate, so I won't do a pic.

Nice. Now you know we need to see photos. See port #3 in the below thread for simple instructions on how to post photos.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0

I put the 2012 GT500 mufflers on my 2013, and they weighed about half as much as the stock mufflers. The stock mufflers are boat anchors.

I'm guessing the 2013 ones are lighter as well.

The new mufflers I installed were the same size as the factory mufflers I removed and seemed to be about the same weight, so there was no weight savings.

mopar75110 said:
The new mufflers I installed were the same size as the factory mufflers I removed and seemed to be about the same weight, so there was no weight savings.

That is interesting. The 2012 GT500 mufflers are about the same size as stock, but noticeably lighter. They definitely have a deeper tone, too. I assumed they just added the dual tips on the 2013/2014 mufflers, but maybe they are actually different.

I agree with everyone that the dual tip version looks awesome. I just didn't want to change out the valance. One more thing to keep track of in the long run, in case you want the car back to stock.

Hi all,

I also went with the '12 GT500 mufflers set, as I really liked the larger, single outlet tips. The GT500's were lighter, and they are a bit louder than the stock ones. With a 1/2" side exhaust discs, the sound, for me anyway, is just about perfect. Now if I could only figure our how to get a 2.75 first gear ratio and a .80 6th gear ratio, this car would be absolutely perfect.

Take care,

JJ

I really like the quad tip look. I think it has a deeper tone and with the side pipes open it sounds great. Loads of compliments on the sound. I also put the 2014 GT500 wheels on mine. Installing the 15 inch 6 piston GT500 front brakes and 13.8 inch rears this weekend, hopefully.

GB218

TMO Addict
Hi Guys,

I have a dumb question: do you have to cut the bumper cover to install the valence on a 2013 boss or is it a direct replacement for the existing one?

I really like the look of the quad tips.

Thanks!

GB218

TMO Addict
Thanks Tlavalle.

Do you need to remove the bumper cover for the install? Any other installation tips (excuse the pun...).

Thanks.

I did not remove the bumper cover. I removed the muffler hanger on the passenger side with the muffler, then reinstalled the hanger then the muffler. The driver side, I removed the bolts on the lateral stiffener then removed the muffler and did not have to remove the hanger. It was pretty simple. I actually did not even jack up the car. By the way, I'm 50 years old and my friend who helped me is 63.

I've had 12 gt 500 mufflers in for a while now and just picked up a set of quads. I'll be posting my single tips gt 500 mufflers up for sale for those that want the increase sound but without having to change rear valance.

forcefedcobra said:
I've had 12 gt 500 mufflers in for a while now and just picked up a set of quads. I'll be posting my single tips gt 500 mufflers up for sale for those that want the increase sound but without having to change rear valance.

Do us a favor and weigh the 2012 and 2013/14 quad tip units. I'm curious if the quad tips actually do weigh more than the 2012s.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel