The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 for track duty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Spanish Fort, AL
So is anyone actually using a S550 GT500 for track days; is there a 19" wheel that will clear the massive stock brake setup? Alternatively, has anyone retrofitted the GT350R setup to utilize a 19" wheel?

So is anyone actually using a S550 GT500 for track days; is there a 19" wheel that will clear the massive stock brake setup? Alternatively, has anyone retrofitted the GT350R setup to utilize a 19" wheel?
i was going to track my gt500 but its too heavy and i was faster in my gt350 racecar than a heavily modded gt500 that was on 345 hoosiers square

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
It is heavier - especially in the front. But it’s really fast and really fun - even bone stock. Bigger tracks with the longer straights are where it really shines. Brakes for days, zero fade.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I’ve seen a race team (or at least I think they were) change to the AP Racing brake set up to move to 19” wheels.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I have been tracking mine since summer, running it in time trials. 2020 350R knuckles and brakes will make for an easy swap to be able to run 19s if you want. I am sticking with the 20s for now with Nankang tires. It is much faster than my 350 was with similar prep.

What are your goals? The big brakes have very good power while running quiet street pads. There are limited 20” tire choices, but since I‘m running in a 200tw class the Nankang 325 is a decent choice.

TMO Supporting Vendors