The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Reviews

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here they come and post them here.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/for...-shelby-gt500-first-drive-changes-everything/

My favorite quote from the article:

"The car had such explosive power, controlled and exploitable through the brilliantly tuned Tremec twin-clutch seven-speed automated manual transmission and Torsen limited-slip differential. Think Porsche GT2 RS. Yes, I just wrote that. It also provided so much mechanical and aero grip that it attacked racetrack curb hopping and wide-open sweepers with equal poise and confidence. Think Jaguar XE SV Project 8. The seatbelt-straining brakes and fingertip controllable steering produced nearly equal 1.3 g loads in their respective directions. Think Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4Matic+."

2020-Ford-Mustang-GT500-05 (1).jpg

So many guys on another forum were claiming the 500 was going to be a let-down, overpriced, a bad handling pig, etc. Ford showed them wrong thankfully. What an amazing car!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Always fun to go to other sites. Lets you know where "The Sky is Falling".

My only question for the GT500 team is Tires. How long will they last? Good options?

This is my question too. I'll be interested to see how they do for a full season of track days. Maybe that's in the articles, but who actually reads those things, amirite?

I don't like black cars. It looks good in black. Like, really good. I would do horrible, unspeakable things for this. Now shut the door and don't ask questions...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
A full season of track days on one set?? That dream was gone long before the GT500 arrived. LOL.

I am more curious what the tire manufacturers will, do have to fit this car that are not obscenely expensive.

I had to replace the right front on my GT350R A small screw got very expensive.

I am looking at a square set up for the 350 now. The Goodyears are looking good for a 200+ tire.

Curious what folks have found for the 500 that may cross over to the 350 also.

I was very fortunate and was able to go the GT500 North American track tour at LVMS. Simply put the car is amazing! We were able to do two 1/4 mile drags runs in base cars. The track was unprepped, cold 50 something degrees and 3200’ something feet elevation. We didn’t do any burnouts and the launch control was set at 1400rpm with the cars in drive. You could tell the traction control was doing it’s thing in first and some of second. The timing lights weren’t on but the car I drove trapped at 131mph on the second run which felt a little better than the first. I’m guessing it was in the 11.3 - 11.4 second range.
Next we’re the lead and follow sessions in CFTP cars. The brakes were fantastic and the car had ton of grip. I was really impressed with the balance and that all of weight wasn’t that noticeable. The car was able to put the power down coming out of corners and the acceleration was incredible.
Last were hot laps riding shotgun. Let’s just say the car is the real deal with very impressive capabilities.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel